Retro Sports Center

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Breaker

Re: Retro Sports Center

Postby Breaker » May 30th, 2022, 2:59 pm

I benched Neil and went to Tomczak. I won the next two games, one of which was a complete destruction of the Dolphins. Neither victory relied much on my QB. I started Tomczak against the Raiders, and he sprained his MCL and is out for 5 weeks! Guess I'm back to Neil. I also lost my right guard, Carlton Haselrig, for 4 weeks to a foot fracture. That will likely impact my running game.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » May 30th, 2022, 3:23 pm

lynchie137 wrote:
DialSforSam wrote:If Quebec is looking for a new team, I know of a certain hockey team stuck in the Arizona desert.

It utterly boggles this sports fan's mind on how that team, despite never drawing a dime in it's 20 plus years in the desert, hasn't either been relocated to another city or just folded outright. Yes, revenue sharing has a lot to do with them still being able to operate. But to me, the NHL having a lame duck team that simply dosen't make money is just bad for business...

I'd really like to know why someone thought Arizona was a good place to relocate a hockey team.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 31st, 2022, 12:43 am

DialSforSam wrote:I'd really like to know why someone thought Arizona was a good place to relocate a hockey team.

If memory serves, it was thought that there are lot of snowbirds and retirees from "up north" that had relocated to Arizona that would support a hockey franchise. Of course, having a growing metro area was appealing, too. But hindsight tells us it wasn't a good move...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2022, 5:36 pm

I was flipping around the channels the other day and surprised to see Tony LaRussa still managing. That guy wins where he goes. And apparently still does!

His baseball game stinks though.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » June 2nd, 2022, 7:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was flipping around the channels the other day and surprised to see Tony LaRussa still managing. That guy wins where he goes. And apparently still does!

His baseball game stinks though.

That reminds me, I have this old Tony La Russa Baseball II game for PC that my dad got me years ago for Christmas.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 2nd, 2022, 8:01 pm

Breaker wrote:Is there any baseball video game that has the actual players and the 1987 stats/rosters? As a Twins fans, that was a magical season.

As a 1987 Tigers fan I hated the 87 Twins. I remember a few years later the Tigers signed Danny Gladden as a free agent. I hated him just because he was on that 87 Twins team. Too bad too, because if it wasn’t for that I would’ve actually liked the guy. I liked Hrbeck, Kirby & Viola as players, but since they were on that Twins team I never really forgave them.

Anyhow you guys are making me want to dig something up to play.

To the guy playing Baseball Stars- That’s cool you’re enjoying the game. In a way I kind of envy you, because I can’t help myself from power playing. Having close contested games with the Black Sox & Robins makes me kinda chuckle. I had to create teams to play against as only the American Dreams could have a chance at beating me. I remember as a kid I think I got up to having 5 guys with a 90 rating on my team. The rest were all 89, of course. Talk about power playing ehhh? Ridiculous when I think about it now. I like the idea of setting limits and maybe someday playing Baseball Stars again. I’ve done it with Turn-based-Tactics games so why not Baseball Stars. If only I can control myself and be fair.

So on another thread about Baseball games AtariFever & I were chatting about using Italy on Little League Baseball on the NES. Italy is ridiculously bad and compared to the rest of the league shouldn’t even be in it. Similar to the SNK Crushers in Baseball Stars . Anyways…… that reminds me that I like it when sports games include one super lousy laughable team to use. I like the challenge of using that team and winning it all. Two more examples are the Zombies in TV Sports Basketball on the TG-16 and Japan in Powerball for the Genesis. Anybody else like using the worst team in the game?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » June 2nd, 2022, 11:13 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:His baseball game stinks though.

Haha! I was expecting this response from you!

Breaker

Postby Breaker » June 2nd, 2022, 11:26 pm

The Steelers have moved to 15-0, with a rematch against the Oilers as the last regular season game. Here's hoping I can keep the magic going for 4 more games. Or, if I can't, that the loss comes in the next game, and then I can reset for the playoffs.

O'Donnell had his best game of the season against the Bengals, completing 8 of 10 passes for 225 yards and 4 TD with no interceptions. But, he was back to his usual self against the Browns, going 3 for 8 with an INT and a TD. Barry Foster has more than managed to cover up the QB ineptitude, though. On the season he has over 3,200 yards rushing with one game to go. He can actually lose something like 30 yards against the Oilers and still average over 200 yards per game. He has 34 rushing TDs, too, so his yards and TDs are both more than double the next highest RB in the league.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 4th, 2022, 7:38 pm

DialSforSam wrote:
I'd really like to know why someone thought Arizona was a good place to relocate a hockey team.

I think the couple hundred million dollar relocation fee had a lot to do with it....

Breaker

Postby Breaker » June 9th, 2022, 2:50 pm

The Steelers completed their magical run to a perfect 19-0 record after defeating the Eagles in the Super Bowl. The QB drama wouldn't be put to bed as Neil O'Donnell strained his hamstring on the opening drive of the SB, and Tomczak had to come in and finish the game. Barry Foster did his usual thing and carried the offense throughout the playoffs, just as he did during the regular season.

Overall, Madden 95 is just good fun. Easy to pick up and play, games can be completed in about 20-25 minutes. I do wish the programmers had made use of all six buttons on the controllers that were well in rotation by the time this game came out. Having each button perform different tasks whether you hold or tap is annoying. Half the time you do what you don't want to do...spin instead of speed-burst, or power tackle instead of raising your arms.

What's next in this way back machine of sports goodness? I might need to shift away from the Genny for a bit. We shall see...

Return to “Now Playing”