Retro Sports Center

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Teddybear

Re: Retro Sports Center

Postby Teddybear » April 29th, 2022, 11:10 am

Breaker wrote:Started a season on Madden 95 on the Genesis.

Actually, I started a season on College Football 97 with my alma mater Golden Gophers, but after opening with a non-conference win over Temple, I discovered the battery on that cartridge doesn't hold a save anymore. So, I switched to pro football instead.

I have every Genesis Madden and oddly enough my '95 edition is the only one that I can still save a season on (as of 2021). Were the batteries that EA used of better quality for the 1995 Madden games? I experimented with a few EA NHL and NBA Live carts with the same result....no season saving capability as the battery is clearly dead.

But yet I am able to save my player stats on EA's PGA Golf and Golf III for the Sega Genesis. What's up with that? Re-reading this thread I am kind of surprised Breaker was able to play a season of Tony LaRussa with no issues (as that is an EA game too)

And to go even further, it seems that other Sega Genesis carts have no issues with failing batteries. I still play full seasons of Tecmo Super Bowl and Sega World Series '96 and '98 with no data loss. This is a mystery to me......

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 29th, 2022, 11:39 am

Teddybear wrote:
Breaker wrote:Started a season on Madden 95 on the Genesis.

Actually, I started a season on College Football 97 with my alma mater Golden Gophers, but after opening with a non-conference win over Temple, I discovered the battery on that cartridge doesn't hold a save anymore. So, I switched to pro football instead.

I have every Genesis Madden and oddly enough my '95 edition is the only one that I can still save a season on (as of 2021). Were the batteries that EA used of better quality for the 1995 Madden games? I experimented with a few EA NHL and NBA Live carts with the same result....no season saving capability as the battery is clearly dead.

But yet I am able to save my player stats on EA's PGA Golf and Golf III for the Sega Genesis. What's up with that? Re-reading this thread I am kind of surprised Breaker was able to play a season of Tony LaRussa with no issues (as that is an EA game too)

And to go even further, it seems that other Sega Genesis carts have no issues with failing batteries. I still play full seasons of Tecmo Super Bowl and Sega World Series '96 and '98 with no data loss. This is a mystery to me......

I have had the battery replaced (not that courageous with a soldering gun, myself) on a La Russa 95 cart, but my Tony La Russa still holds data on its original battery. Most of my carts still hold saves (or did the last time I checked), so I need to get a new battery in College Football 97. I'll have to ask around at my local used game stores - the battery I had replaced was when I lived in Denver, so I'm out of touch with that store now. I could follow the Critic's suggestion of ebay, too. It probably makes sense to check a bunch of games and replace all the failed ones at the same time, especially if there is shipping involved.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 3rd, 2022, 10:55 pm

The second week started slow for the Steelers, as my first two drives were ended by Neil O'Donnell interceptions. Down 10-7 with less than a minute to go on the first half, I gave him a talking to on the sidelines, telling him he was playing for his starting position.

He responded with two completions for a combined 75 yards, and Barry Foster got us in the endzone for a 14-10 halftime lead. We played a strong all-around second half: the defense showed up with 2 fumble recoveries and an interception, and O'Donnell played great (3 TD passes) to go along with the always strong running game of Barry Foster and Bam Morris.

As fate would have it, Neil blew out his hamstring with 15 second to go in the game, and he's now out for 4 weeks. I guess I'll see if Mike Tomczak can keep the 2-0 momentum going after our 42-17 win over the Browns.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 16th, 2022, 8:49 pm

The Mike Tomczak era has been strong thus far, with wins against the Colts, Seahawks and the Oilers. Tomczak himself has had very little to do with the victories, other than he hasn't thrown any interceptions. That is about all I ask of my quarterback with this defense, offensive line and stable of running backs.

The Oilers put up the biggest challenge, as they were tough to run against and they caused a fumble on a point return that they recovered and took to the house. I didn't help myself by missing the only field goal I have attempted all season! Carnell Lake managed to secure the victory by picking off Cody Carlson with about 90 seconds left in the game and the Steelers leading 21-15.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 18th, 2022, 6:31 pm

DialSforSam wrote:Halfway through the month of May in my season, and just completed a 6-4 run against AL East foes (Toronto, Boston, Detroit). One highlight included a walk-off, pinch hit two run homer against the Red Sox in the bottom of the ninth. Currently sitting at 23-12 and a half game behind Detroit for first.

Now time for a home stand against Cleveland and Milwaukee, before I take my act on the road against the Yankees, Angels, and A's.

How are the O's doing?

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » May 18th, 2022, 9:38 pm

Breaker wrote:
DialSforSam wrote:Halfway through the month of May in my season, and just completed a 6-4 run against AL East foes (Toronto, Boston, Detroit). One highlight included a walk-off, pinch hit two run homer against the Red Sox in the bottom of the ninth. Currently sitting at 23-12 and a half game behind Detroit for first.

Now time for a home stand against Cleveland and Milwaukee, before I take my act on the road against the Yankees, Angels, and A's.

How are the O's doing?

I need to get back at it. Kinda been slacking off.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » May 21st, 2022, 5:48 pm

So an update to my Orioles season: Swept the Indians and the Brewers in the final 7 games of my homestand, but dropped the first game on the road trip against the Yankees. Currently sitting at 30-13, and 2 1/2 games ahead of Detroit for first in the AL East.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 25th, 2022, 8:53 pm

TheEagleXIII wrote:...long lost teams like the Oilers or the Whalers?

As a lifelong hockey fan, I'm not sure why it took me so long to catch this, buuuuuut...

...the Oilers are anything but "lost." In fact, they're one of the best teams in the NHL right now, and only one win away from making this year's Western Conference Finals!

Now, if you want to talk about the Nordiques, North Stars, or Thrashers, well... that's more like it :D

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 26th, 2022, 3:31 am

Matchstick wrote:Now, if you want to talk about the Nordiques, North Stars, or Thrashers, well... that's more like it :D

Hopefully Les Nordiques will return in the near future.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 26th, 2022, 11:50 am

Matchstick wrote:
TheEagleXIII wrote:...long lost teams like the Oilers or the Whalers?

As a lifelong hockey fan, I'm not sure why it took me so long to catch this, buuuuuut...

...the Oilers are anything but "lost." In fact, they're one of the best teams in the NHL right now, and only one win away from making this year's Western Conference Finals!

Now, if you want to talk about the Nordiques, North Stars, or Thrashers, well... that's more like it :D

I'm thinking he meant the Houston Oilers from the NFL...

I love playing as the North Stars on NHLPA Hockey 93!

Return to “Now Playing”