Disgaea 1 Complete (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Disgaea 1 Complete (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 9th, 2022, 11:01 pm

This series intrigued me when I heard about it because it's a strategic rpg like Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem, but with a comedic tone. That's not a combination I would have ever have expected. So I downloaded the remake of the first game and gave it a try.

First off, its pretty obvious this an old game right off the bat. It's very grind heavy, since whether or not you stand a chance against your opponents depends largely on your level. Higher numbers beat lower numbers, no exceptions. Honestly, it doesn't really feel like I'm strategizing as much as it feels like I'm just moving my guys around to kill the other team's guys.

Leveling up doesn't happen as fast as I'd like it to, either. You'll have to replay the same stages over and over to grind your XP, but even low level characters can go through a whole stage without leveling up once. If you try to bring them to stages with higher level enemies, the enemies will automatically target your weakest fighters, making it almost impossible to keep them alive through the battle.

So far I wouldn't say it's a bad game. It's just dated. I think how much you like it will depend on your tolerance for grinding.

Retro STrife

Re: Disgaea 1 Complete (PS4)

Postby Retro STrife » July 14th, 2022, 8:13 am

As a big FFT fan, I picked up the PSP version about 10-15 years ago. Not sure where it stands now, but the series had the reputation back then as one of the best modern competitors to FFT. Playing a humorous tactical RPG interested me too. I stuck it out to the end and thought it was a good game, but it didn’t come near topping FFT for me.

Return to “Now Playing”