Pick Axe Pete (Odyssey 2)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Pick Axe Pete (Odyssey 2)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2022, 12:55 pm

Anybody playing Odyssey 2 lately?

Recently I've been wielding a giant pickaxe in my yard to remove some old stumps. Talk about hard work! I could never make it on the chain gang. Just not cut out for prison work.

Anyway that inspired me to revisit an Odyssey 2 classic: Pick Axe Pete. Many regard this as the best Odyssey 2 game. My original review is a B+. Let's see if it stays there.

I'm also revisiting KTAA (Kill the Alien Attackers) homebrew.

Thoughts?

Teddybear

Re: Pick Axe Pete (Odyssey 2)

Postby Teddybear » July 21st, 2022, 2:44 pm

If you're wielding a pick axe in this 90 degree heat that the eastern part of the U.S. is currently having.....a beer toast to you from inside my air conditioned man cave!

I sold KTAA this past winter not because it was a bad game (it is excellent) but as I get older I find the O2 joystick button to be murder on my thumb when playing these types of games that require constant and rapid firing. I don't mind suffering as much for other shooters like Demon Attack and Attack of the Timelord but with KTAA you are just always firing away.

For my money Robot City is by far the best O2 game but any Odyssey 2 chatter is always welcomed in my book.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 21st, 2022, 4:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Recently I've been wielding a giant pickaxe in my yard to remove some old stumps. Talk about hard work! I could never make it on the chain gang. Just not cut out for prison work.

Thoughts?

You need a stump grinder.

https://www.drpower.com/Power-Equipment ... ST45015DMN

I've got the electric start model.

If you've got a long way to push it, go up to the self-propelled option. These guys are heavy.

https://www.drpower.com/Power-Equipment ... ST49019DEN

Stump grinders are far better than an axe or chainsaw to get rid of stumps. In the last year I've taken out at least 60 on my property. Most were small buckthorn stumps but also removed several larger ones as well. It's my favorite toy of the pandemic.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 21st, 2022, 10:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anybody playing Odyssey 2 lately?

Recently I've been wielding a giant pickaxe in my yard to remove some old stumps. Talk about hard work! I could never make it on the chain gang. Just not cut out for prison work.

Anyway that inspired me to revisit an Odyssey 2 classic: Pick Axe Pete. Many regard this as the best Odyssey 2 game. My original review is a B+. Let's see if it stays there.

I'm also revisiting KTAA (Kill the Alien Attackers) homebrew.

Thoughts?

naww i would say Turtles is the best O2 game

icepeople

Postby icepeople » July 22nd, 2022, 1:17 am

At the risk of seeming irrelevant, I feel the need to mention this recent homebrew homage to PAP that runs on a 1K ZX81 (note: "Dr Beep's" 1K hi-res games like Qbert are way more impressive). I actually didn't think much of the O2 PAP back then, but ended up revisiting and revising my opinion after this.

https://sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=41728#p41728

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 22nd, 2022, 10:49 am

I didn't like Pick Axe Pete at first but, after playing it a handful of times, it "clicked" and became mildly addictive. A nifty little game that does really well with the available hardware.

My favorites on the Odyssey² are Smithereens, Pick Axe Pete, Killer Bees, and one I keep hoping the Critic will review,

Loony Balloon

Maybe the colors will get his attention? :mrgreen:

It's on the multicart, in European and Brazilian versions (same gameplay, different playfields). Loony Balloon is brutally tough but I love it!

DocHix

Postby DocHix » July 23rd, 2022, 10:36 am

Great review! I really enjoy playing the Odyssey 2 and appreciate how creative the game designers had to be in order to make something like "Pick Axe Pete" given the systems limitations. My other favorites for the O2 are "Attack of the Time Lord", "UFO" and "Showdown in 2100 AD" when I can find a willing second player (I used to have to pay my son 25 cents per game to play when he was little!)

Return to “Now Playing”