Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Stalvern

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES)

Postby Stalvern » July 25th, 2022, 11:31 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:wait WHAT?!

Strange, you've always had the right title on the review page. Or are you surprised that CharlieR was wrong about it?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 26th, 2022, 5:32 am

strat wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Technically also Donkey Kong Land 2. ;)

Ironically, DKL2 is the weakest of that trilogy.

From a certain point of view. ;)

DK Land I was hard to play on the original Game Boy (the graphics blurred something fierce), and the physics took time to get used to. Great soundtrack, though!

DK Land 2 was basically a remix of DKC2, though some levels were pure evil (see Slime Climb)

DK Land III was...ok. Barbos as the World I Boss was hard to forget/forgive, the soundtrack was the weakest of the trilogy, and the Time Trial times to beat were hair pulling.

Oh, and DKC GBC was decent, and honestly I prefer it over the GBA version (though the SNES version is still the best version of ol DKC1).

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 26th, 2022, 5:34 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
CharlieR wrote:I was today years old when I realized that this game isn't called Diddy Kong's Quest, it is called Diddy's KONG Quest.

wait WHAT?!

I wasn't aware of the pun/joke until very recently when some channel on Youtube (it was several years back, I forget) brought it up. I face palmed that I never put it together, especially as I enjoy puns.

strat

Postby strat » July 26th, 2022, 3:39 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
strat wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Oh, and DKC GBC was decent, and honestly I prefer it over the GBA version (though the SNES version is still the best version of ol DKC1).

Warning, nitpickery ahead. The DKL games are great, but they screwed up after that.

-DKC on GBC has a jerky camera and tries to cram the real SNES levels on GB. Doesn't work. The millstone Gnawtys are reduced to a non-threat, for ex.

-DKC2 on GBA is mostly the same game but it ruins the atmosphere of the cutscenes. Maybe a small thing to complain about but screen crunch and a tacked on boss don't make it a fair trade.

-DKC3 on GBA is... the best portable DKC, no complaints, even though I prefer the SNES soundtrack.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 26th, 2022, 3:57 pm

strat wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:
strat wrote:

Warning, nitpickery ahead. The DKL games are great, but they screwed up after that.

-DKC on GBC has a jerky camera and tries to cram the real SNES levels on GB. Doesn't work. The millstone Gnawtys are reduced to a non-threat, for ex.

-DKC2 on GBA is mostly the same game but it ruins the atmosphere of the cutscenes. Maybe a small thing to complain about but screen crunch and a tacked on boss don't make it a fair trade.

-DKC3 on GBA is... the best portable DKC, no complaints, even though I prefer the SNES soundtrack.

Ah, DKC3 Advance, the game that gutted one of my favorite soundtracks of the DKC games and made...interesting changes.

Still, even the worst DKC/DKL games are well above average for games as a whole. 8-)

Return to “Now Playing”