Pitfall II (Atari 2600)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Atariboy

Re: Pitfall II (Atari 2600)

Postby Atariboy » August 12th, 2022, 2:48 am

It took about 5 hours of practice over the past week, but I just managed a perfect run for the first time in the 2600 version. :)

Magnificent game that holds up well. And contrary to an earlier post, I feel like the level designers managed things well with limited assets. After a couple of refamiliarization playthroughs, I pretty much knew where I was going thanks to things like enemy placements and the tunnel layouts themselves.

I also mixed in some Colecovision Pitfall 2, which is somewhat of a disappointing port. I've been spoiled by the great port of H.E.R.O. on the system that stays faithful while upgrading it at the same time for the much more powerful hardware. But Colecovision Pitfall 2 plays it safe with little in the way of upgrades. Cleaner music and slightly graphically enhanced waterfalls are about the extent of it.

But at the same time you get stuck with a much less pleasant color palette (Pitfall Harry's clothes and the gold bars that are now white are the worst offenders), the beautiful sunset above the trees is absent, scorpion jumping is much more difficult (I never screw that up on the 2600, but you need to be much more precise here), and the bats move a bit faster.

The trick of staying on a ladder until a bat flies overhead and then climbing up and running to the opposite edge of the screen has very little leeway on the Colecovision. It's basically a guarantee of safe passage on the 2600, but here you'll find the bat has time to wrap back around if you're not exact on your timing.

And you're stuck with a controller that simply isn't up for the task.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 12th, 2022, 10:26 am

The Atari 2600 version went way above what was expected out of the game. I was surprised that they came out with the Adventurer's Edition for the Atari 800 / 5200 with that "secret" (much harder) bonus level. I beat the 2nd level but it took a while. They could have used the 2600 version, but they expanded it so much more when they didn't have to. Great game!

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » August 12th, 2022, 10:59 am

I remember telling VGC about the Adventurer’s Edition years ago as in the original review he was disappointed in the 8-bit version. Still a very happy moment for me to introduce him to a whole new world so to speak!

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 12th, 2022, 1:34 pm

RDReynolds wrote:I remember telling VGC about the Adventurer’s Edition years ago as in the original review he was disappointed in the 8-bit version. Still a very happy moment for me to introduce him to a whole new world so to speak!

Thank you! I think it was that review that inspired me to dust off my Atari 800xl to play it. I had Pitfall 2 on my 2600 growing up in the 80s and won at it and never played it on my 800XL until a few years ago because I figured it wouldn't be any different outside of slightly nicer graphics. Level 2 was just as fun as level one and pretty darn challenging.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 13th, 2022, 11:42 am

I have a David Crane trifecta of Atari 2600 reviews coming up for tomorrow!!

Return to “Now Playing”