Outrun (Sega Master System)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Outrun (Sega Master System)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 13th, 2022, 2:59 pm

I'm revisiting this one along with the 3D version.

I noticed a really serious issue, which is how you tend to accidentally switch back to low gear just by steering! Apparently it's misreading diagonals. And there's no audible indicate you've changed gears so you have to constantly check the top of the screen.

My current review says C+ but I think that might drop. I noticed readers gave it an A. What's up with that??

Stalvern

Re: Outrun (Sega Master System)

Postby Stalvern » August 13th, 2022, 3:02 pm

I'd give it an F just for that downshifting problem. That's a deal breaker.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 14th, 2022, 1:08 am

Stalvern wrote:I'd give it an F just for that downshifting problem. That's a deal breaker.

It's not the game's fault. It's the d-pad's fault on the controller that he's using.

I'm assuming he's using a stock Master System controller which is well known for a lackluster d-pad. I'd suggest connecting up a nice Sega Genesis controller instead for this game to avoid accidental diagonal inputs.

I went through every route in both SMS Outrun and Outrun 3D earlier this summer (twice each, thanks to the optional FM soundtrack each game has since I wanted to hear the audio in both forms) on my Analogue Mega Sg using 8BitDo's great M30 wireless controller for the Sega Genesis. I never had an accidental gear shift.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 14th, 2022, 10:05 am

Actually when I first posted this thread I was using a Genesis controller - something I often do with SMS games because it's just a better controller.

However, I really need to use a SMS controller instead. They have tactile lines so you can feel for the four main directions. Maybe that will help keep me from hitting the diagonals.

Stay tuned!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 14th, 2022, 8:40 pm

Well played these with my nephew Luke today and the downshifting still a problem, both with Outrun and Outrun 3D.

Luke came up with the idea of steering by holding down and then diagonally down to turn. Pretty clever but you should not have to do that!

Oh and he was impressed by the 3D glasses. "Much better than I expected" he said.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 15th, 2022, 4:23 am

You must have scores of Genesis controllers around the house. Both of these sound like they have oversensitive d-pads. I'd try another controller if I were you.

What you're experiencing is still a problem to this day, even with brand new controllers. I bought 8BitDo's Pro 2 controller for the Nintendo Switch last winter and thought everything was fine with it. But I connected it to my PC a couple of weeks ago and discovered all wasn't as rosy as it seemed.

I was practicing H.E.R.O. for the 2600 here and there on the Stella emulator when I'd have some spare time and quickly discovered that pressing down to plant dynamite to blow up a wall would often make my character run left. A game killing bug, but it of course isn't the game's fault (Although it made me appreciate the Colecovision port even more, thanks to the 2nd fire button over there).

It's the faulty d-pad's fault that downward presses on the d-pad have a tendency of also activating left. All the blame rests on 8BitDo's quality control rather than on the Activision programmer that made the game in the early 1980's.

Return to “Now Playing”