Madden (Playstation One)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Madden (Playstation One)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 11th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Back in the day I was a fan of Sony's NFL Gameday series so I pretty much ignored those early Madden Playstation games. Now I'm going back and reviewing them. The funny thing is, I just played the first three, and Madden 97 was substantially better than 98 and 99!

I miss Madden. He really injected a sense of excitement and fun into the games he did commentary on. You can get a taste of that from his games. And the soft-spoken Pat Summeral was the perfect complement to his style.

Cafeman

Re: Madden (Playstation One)

Postby Cafeman » September 11th, 2022, 8:54 pm

Yeah, I remember NFL Game day was more appealing and pretty popular at first, compared to another Madden.

Several years ago, I picked up Madden 97 for Saturn, which I assume is nearly identical to PS1 Madden 97. Polygon 3D field and Stadiums, but sprites for the players. Well, I was astounded at just how fun it was, it looked and played like a supercharged Genesis Madden game. Which is a compliment. Just last winter I played through a season as the Steelers.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » September 12th, 2022, 11:29 am

The first Madden game that I actually owned was Madden '99, which I got for Christmas the year it came out. Had quite a bit of fun with it, especially in franchise mode. Madden 2000 for the PC was a huge step up.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 13th, 2022, 7:44 pm

DialSforSam wrote:The first Madden game that I actually owned was Madden '99, which I got for Christmas the year it came out. Had quite a bit of fun with it, especially in franchise mode. Madden 2000 for the PC was a huge step up.

I bought Madden 99 on N64 when it came out. I played that game into the ground that year of college. That was the first time I had played a football game with a franchise mode, and I got completely sucked in. I haven't really played much Madden since, strangely enough.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 15th, 2022, 10:47 am

Cafeman wrote:Yeah, I remember NFL Game day was more appealing and pretty popular at first, compared to another Madden.

Several years ago, I picked up Madden 97 for Saturn, which I assume is nearly identical to PS1 Madden 97. Polygon 3D field and Stadiums, but sprites for the players. Well, I was astounded at just how fun it was, it looked and played like a supercharged Genesis Madden game. Which is a compliment. Just last winter I played through a season as the Steelers.

I think this will be my next entry in the Retro Sports Center thread - with the Steelers, as well!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 20th, 2022, 12:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The funny thing is, I just played the first three, and Madden 97 was substantially better than 98 and 99!

If you enjoy Madden '97, imagine how much fun it's going to be 25 years later!

djc

Postby djc » September 21st, 2022, 12:49 am

Madden '97 on the Playstation was really good. I always loved the intro and pre-game rundowns with James Brown. Interestingly, the PC version of Madden '97 was nowhere near as good. '98 on the PC far surpassed the home console versions.

Even more interestingly, if you watch the videos on YouTube for the unreleased Madden '96 for the Playstation (which was being developed by Visual Concepts - the same company who went on to develop the NFL 2K series), you can see just how different Madden on Playstation may have turned out.

Return to “Now Playing”