NBA JAM- On fire Edition - PS3

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Scott

Postby Scott » October 9th, 2011, 1:27 pm

I am a huge Nba Jam fan so was exciting to see another edition of this come out. This brings back some of the old school feel, they brought back a lot of the older player from back in the day. They have many unlockable's with give so much replay value. The online side of the game is much improved, addressing the connection issue's.
The only problem I have is if you don't have a friend online to play with it ewill not pair you up with 3 other people, you have to play with the CPU as your teammate and against one other person and they also have a CPU teammate.  The controls seems to have a little lag but nothing to affect the game.
This is definetly an "A" for me.

Please let me know your thoughts and also if you would like to team up online on the PS3.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 9th, 2011, 4:22 pm

While I don't have the new game I finally broke down and bought the old one.  I have to say that I put off getting the game for a long time because of the lack of "tag mode", but amazon.com was selling it for $9.99.  At that price I couldn't pass it up.

I thought I would hate the lack of tag mode...however after a few games I don't even notice it...the game is just so much fun.  I prefer to play it with another friend in a co-op, but single player is rock solid as well.  I have to admit that the motion controls are garbage and I wouldn't recommend this without using the classic controller. 

I would certainly buy the new game, but I'll probably skip it because it lacks an actual retail release.  Does anyone know if they plan on bringing the new game to the Wii?

Scott

Postby Scott » October 9th, 2011, 5:16 pm

The Wii version is no good without the classic controller, the PS3 version is as good or better than the orginal with all the extra's.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » October 9th, 2011, 9:57 pm

I picked it up for PS3 last week. I was going to post a review but am undecided on this one. I love that it's still got the classic feel with lots of crazy moves and characters (having an Obama vs Bush match was hilarious!) but I guess I'm so used to the old version. I would probably give it a B+ but that might change as I play it more. If you or anyone wants to hook up online, I'm Viper82MB on the Playstation network.

Scott

Postby Scott » October 10th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Hey will Viper I will look you up tomorrow on PSN.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » October 10th, 2011, 9:52 pm

YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  While everyone else was talking about Gears 3 and Resistance 3, I was waiting for friggin' NBA Jam On Fire Edition!  I downloaded it the first night it was available on PSN.  It's a FANTASTIC game.  With a price of $15 for the best version, or $20 brand new for the retail release on Wii, PS3, and 360 there's really no excuse to not own one copy of Jam.

One question for those who have On Fire-- how do you change control of players while on defense?  I've tried every button combo I can think of, but I see people changing players on defense all the time when I play on line.  Getting frustrated, as I've lost some close games because of it.  Obviously, it switches automatically on offense, but I'm not fully utilizing controls.  Help?

Scott

Postby Scott » October 10th, 2011, 10:52 pm

To switch players all you do is hit X on the PS3 version.

Luke

Postby Luke » October 11th, 2011, 2:20 am

Yeah, this definitely the best Jam game since NBA Jam T.E. in the arcades.

I hate being locked on the right side of the court during all the Road Trip games against the CPU. That is my only gripe with the single player game.

Otherwise, playing and unlocking all the legendary players and custom teams is a lot of fun. And all the arena challenge games keep you coming back for more.

It's too bad Michael Jordan couldn't have been in the game cause him and Scottie Pippen would have owned! But it is nice to see a lot of the NBA stars and hidden characters from the original NBA Jam games in this new one. And once again, Tim Kitzrow's new commentary is hilarious. I'm seriously amazed how many great one-liners they squeezed into this game. It seems like I hear a new one every team I play against.

Return to “Now Playing”