Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » December 26th, 2011, 6:39 pm

I received this game for Christmas yesterday, and have been playing it a LOT lately. 

Do yourself a favor; forget the previous Zelda games. Throw them away, all of them, even the best ones like Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past. You won't need them once you've played Skyward Sword. This could be the greatest game from the Zelda series, on the Wii, and of all time! 

First, the motion controls for sword fighting is excellent and flawless. The fighting is a little more challenging for the brain, since you have to figure out how you're going to slice them as well as when. This makes it even more satisfying to kill them. The puzzles are intelligent but never frustrating, and the flying controls are executed perfectly. The controls take some time to get used to, but when they feel just right, Skyward Sword hits its stride. The relationship between Link and Zelda (for all you fanfic freaks) is closer than it was before as well. The characters are memorable and the story is phenomenal. Best of all, this game is very fun and exciting. Nintendo saved their best for last on the Wi.

...of course I'm at the Forest Temple right now, so these are my thoughts right now. However, I feel that this game will continue to keep me hooked. Anyone who owns a Wii needs this game. Is it any wonder critics are calling it Game of the Year and best Zelda game ever?

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 5th, 2012, 10:38 pm

I'm pretty deep into the game (around 30-35 hours), and I'm liking it quite a bit.  To me it feels like a very streamlined Zelda experience.  Your objective is always clear, and there isn't a lot of wandering around trying to figure out what to do next. 

I like how the lines have been blurred between the overworld and the dungeons.  You don't just simply pass through the overworld as fast as you can to go from one dungeon to the next.  You have to solve puzzles and make your way around obstacles, much like you do in the dungeons.  The dungeons themselves seem to be a bit smaller in this game, which I like.

The puzzles are probably some of the best in the series.  The last dungeon I played especially had a few doozies.  They really made me think, and it was incredibly satisfying to finally figure them out. 

After playing Twilight Princess (which I loved), I thought I was going to be a little let down by this game, but so far it hasn't happened.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » January 15th, 2012, 7:15 pm

This game could be game of the year! The controls are fantastic and everything about this game, no matter how long it may be (that's what she said), is awesome. Currently at the desert right now, and I got a long way to go to beat the game!

Evan

Postby Evan » January 16th, 2012, 1:21 am

If you've really only just made it to the desert, then I can see why you would be left with such an overwhelmingly positive impression. But just to warn you, once you finish the third dungeon the entire pace of the game slows to a crawl. The between dungeon stuff from that point on is largely filled with backtracking, tedious fetch quests, boring collectathons, and forced stealth sections. Not to mention the game has a habit of making you fight certain bosses multiple times, so it can get a little repetitive on that end as well.

The dungeons themselves are still fantastic though, which I think is enough to make it a great game in spite of some very serious flaws.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » January 16th, 2012, 11:16 am

[QUOTE=Blueguy]This game could be game of the year! The controls are fantastic and everything about this game, no matter how long it may be (that's what she said), is awesome. Currently at the desert right now, and I got a long way to go to beat the game![/QUOTE]

Meh, won't care 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Anybody else find the camera annoying - or lack of?  You can adjust it while you're walking.  

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » January 16th, 2012, 8:22 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Anybody else find the camera annoying - or lack of?  You can adjust it while you're walking.  [/QUOTE]

You mean can't adjust it? I don't find it annoying at all.

Evan

Postby Evan » January 17th, 2012, 10:34 am

It's the same camera system they've been using since Ocarina of Time. I think maybe after 13 years it's starting to feel a little dated, but it's always worked well enough. I don't have a problem with it.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 17th, 2012, 10:43 pm

[QUOTE=Evan]It's the same camera system they've been using since Ocarina of Time. I think maybe after 13 years it's starting to feel a little dated, but it's always worked well enough. I don't have a problem with it.[/QUOTE]

With Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the GameCube, you could adjust the camera during gameplay using the C stick. I think the loss of that on the Wii is what the complaints are about.

Josh

Postby Josh » January 18th, 2012, 10:47 am

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing Leo said. It's the downside of the Wii remote.

I played a demo of the game and I hated the motion controls. I've heard that you have to play it for a while before you get the hang of them but the controls were a major turn off for me.

Return to “Now Playing”