New MLB Rules?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Herschie

Re: New MLB Rules?

Postby Herschie » April 12th, 2021, 10:02 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Reminds me of a 1983 O's extra-inning game against the Blue Jay in which the O's ran out of catchers so they put second basement Len Sakata behind the plate.

I remember when I was a kid they talked about how Sakata couldn't get a hit off of the White Sox in that "Super Duper Baseball Bloopers" video. Until one day he finally got a bloop single. Good times!

And I too am losing interest in the sport. I haven't watched all that many Cubs games this year. Just isn't as important to me as it once was. I have other interests, other things to worry about. Maybe 2016 satisfied everything for me.

However I am crazy excited for MLB The Show on PS5. How weird is it that I care more about my video game franchise than the real team?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 12th, 2021, 10:49 am

I last watched baseball "seriously" prior to 2012, which was the last year I really watched any at all, and then only because it was Chipper Jones' last year with the Braves. Outside of the Gwinnett Braves (I still have trouble calling them the Stripers), I barely bother with live baseball, finding more interest in College Football and FIFA.

Den

Postby Den » April 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

I would argue the DH "ruined" the sport in the AL decades ago.

I don't like the extra-inning rule either, but it's not that big of a deal. Not like the DH.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 12th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Den wrote:I would argue the DH "ruined" the sport in the AL decades ago.

I don't like the extra-inning rule either, but it's not that big of a deal. Not like the DH.

Decades? When was the DH introduced? I've never seen the AL without it

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 12th, 2021, 5:47 pm

The DH was introduced in 1973. As a three year experiment. Clearly someone considered it a successful experiment!

Voor

Postby Voor » April 13th, 2021, 9:32 am

How did the DH work before inter league play? Teams would only adopt the other league’s DH (or no DH) rules for just the World Series? That sounds insane to me.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 13th, 2021, 9:36 am

Voor wrote:How did the DH work before inter league play? Teams would only adopt the other league’s DH (or no DH) rules for just the World Series? That sounds insane to me.

I thought DH applied only in AL home field per rules, in NL home field the DH was not enforced?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 13th, 2021, 11:18 am

Speaking of Orioles, saw this was uploaded recently; might find myself watching classic baseball instead of current...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmMrbqzqMM&t=88s

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 13th, 2021, 11:57 am

MSR1701 wrote:
Voor wrote:How did the DH work before inter league play? Teams would only adopt the other league’s DH (or no DH) rules for just the World Series? That sounds insane to me.

I thought DH applied only in AL home field per rules, in NL home field the DH was not enforced?

It's been applied different ways at different times. Currently, the DH rule is applied per the home team league rules (DH in AL stadiums, no DH in NL stadiums) - this is true for all inter-league games and the World Series. Since 2010, the All Star game always utilizes a DH. There have been periods where the World Series either always used a DH or never used a DH, or it rotated annually, regardless of home field.

Yes, it's insane.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 13th, 2021, 11:59 am

Breaker wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:

It's been applied different ways at different times. Currently, the DH rule is applied per the home team league rules (DH in AL stadiums, no DH in NL stadiums) - this is true for all inter-league games and the World Series. Since 2010, the All Star game always utilizes a DH. There have been periods where the World Series either always used a DH or never used a DH, or it rotated annually, regardless of home field.

Yes, it's insane.

Ugh, consistency, what is that...

Return to “Other Media”