Mortal Kombat Movie 2021

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Mortal Kombat Movie 2021

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 12th, 2021, 8:36 pm

Well I went to the movie theatre tonight and saw this by myself. When I bought my ticket the girl asked me where I wanted to sit and it was kind of a trick question because every seat was available. In the lobby I looked around to see just a few other guys who were alone and thought "wow what a bunch of losers!" Got my $12 medium popcorn and $6 medium soda and I was all set. Walked into my theater which I had ALL TO MYSELF. Uhh... WINNING!

The movie started off really slow. It was kind of my worst nightmare - a serious, realistic Mortal Kombat filmed in shades of blue-ish gray. Kind of like the Christopher Nolan treatment. But it got a lot better as it went on. Subzero was pretty badass. Kano provides some much-needed comic relief. Goro looks kind of a CGI version of the Goro in the original film. There were a few new characters including the main one. All the characters were pretty likeable. The fights were good but there wasn't much in the way of emotion. Johnny Cage was missing but at the end it hinted he would be in the next one. I hope there is a next one.

The music during the credits had that techno sound so I'll probably pick up the CD. Anyway the movie overall was decent - probably a C+. I'll pick it up on Blu Ray.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Mortal Kombat Movie 2021

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Some day-after thoughts.

I think the movie looks slick but lack personality. Also, the fights lacked the "flow" you come to expect from elaborate martial arts battles.

I didn't really like Kabal's voice. Instead of a badass he sounded more like a con man.

Also, the main character (who is new to the series) didn't really do it for me.

I do think the level of gore was just about right. It was the fun-to-watch kind of gore - not the stomach-churning kind.

Return to “Other Media”