Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2021, 7:55 pm

Just got finished watching Founder with Michael Keaton. It was a bitter-sweet story about the people who started McDonalds. I never realized just how much drama was involved. Really good flick.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 22nd, 2021, 9:55 am

I watched Zack synder’s Justice League—basically the 4 hour recut/directors cut of that horrible original—and it’s pretty good. In some ways I liked it more than marvels infinity war/endgame. Though the similarities are obvious.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 1st, 2021, 9:06 am

Childhood memories can be a pro and a con at times and here's two I recently saw:

Jurassic Park (1993) - this movie holds up quite nicely as the Critic said perfectly posts ago. Not much else to say.

Casper: A spirited beginning (1997) - a good reason why this was direct to video, it was good when you're younger but older, not so. Anyone recall the first one? That had everything, pathos, humor, a little creepiness, great cast, and effects that hold up. Here not so, plot is thin, recycling elements from the first, the CGI stinks like limburger cheese, and the writing is pathetic. The only redeeming points are a nicely designed ghost train, the theme by KC and the Sunshine Band, and good performances by Steve Guttenberg and James Earl Jones voicing the evil Kibosh.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 1st, 2021, 11:46 am

What I've watched recently:

Zero for Conduct (1933): (A-) Charming, anarchic short film about the gradual rebellion of students at a French boarding school. I watched it because it was the inspiration for If... (1968) but it stands on its own as a lighthearted take on similar material.

Dark Star (1974): (B-) John Carpenter's first film, made while he was still in college. Starring and co-written by Dan O'Bannon (a writer on Alien and Heavy Metal, writer/director of Return of the Living Dead). Extremely low-budget sci-fi about a bunch of misfits on a mission to blow up dangerous planets who deal with boredom, aliens and sentient bombs that question their own existence. Slow going early on but redeemed by a second half that's both funny and suspenseful. The end feels like a sendup of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Worth it if you like low-budget sci-fi or cult films in general. The band Pinback takes its name from Dan O'Bannon's character and also used samples of the film on its first album.

Jabberwocky (1977): (B) Terry Gilliam's first feature-length film made outside of Monty Python (although Python alumni Michael Palin does star). Works as a companion piece to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but with the filthy Medieval realism, gore and cynicism all ratcheted up. Some great sets and practical monster effects on a low budget (Stanley Kubrick actually contacted Gilliam to ask how he achieved the look of the film for only £500,000). Not as funny as Python though, and they could have trimmed the film by 15 minutes without losing much.

Faust (1926): (A) The oft-told story of the wise man who sells his soul for power and wisdom and comes to regret it. Director F.W. Murnau is best known for Nosferatu (1922) but his visual ingenuity is on another level here. Emil Jannings plays Mephisto with screen-chewing relish. My new favorite silent film.

Danger: Diabolik (1968): (B+) Film adaptation of an Italian comic book about a ruthless master thief, directed by Mario Bava (Black Sabbath, Black Sunday, Blood and Black Lace). Feels like a cross between James Bond and the Batman TV series, goofy and sexy and stylish with outlandish sets and Bava's mastery of vivid color. The final movie used for MST3k's run on the Sci-Fi channel. The Beastie Boys paid tribute to the film with the music video for "Body Movin'".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to bring up that I watched all but one of these films for free with no ads on Kanopy.com. If you're an American and have a library card, you can search the system to see if a library linked to your card offers Kanopy. If so, you can stream up to 8 films a month for free and also stream an unlimited amount of educational content. If not, the site offers a submission form for getting your library added to the program.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 15th, 2021, 9:31 am

Zack Burner wrote:Just a few minutes ago saw this frightening sickening movie that should be mandatory viewing: Threads (1984) - forget any horror movie, they were all mere child's play compared to this! Still relevant about the consequences of nuclear warfare it's one neverending nightmare. Pleasant dreams should you see it.....

I finally watched Threads last night. It's been on my list for years but I didn't feel I'd be able to handle it on an emotional level. I love old PSAs/PIFs though, and I picked it on a whim. It's held up incredibly well over the years and is genuinely terrifying in a way most other films can't touch. I would like to watch the American counterparts The Day After and Testament (both of which predate Threads by a year) to see if it can either of them can hold a candle but I doubt it.

The film that gave me the courage to watch Threads was Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind (aka Don't Play with Fire) (1980). Director Tsui Hark would go on to become one of the most important directors and producers in the Hong Kong (including producing some of John Woo's best-known work), but his third film was made in a fit of desperation after his first two flopped badly and it became a big hit despite (or because of) originally being banned. A trio of bored high school loners detonate a bomb in a cinema, where they are witnessed only by a sociopathic young girl (who pushes a pin into the brain of a white rat in an introductory scene). She blackmails them into committing more outrageous crimes even as they run afoul of triads and weapon dealers and the police close in. Angry, nihilistic movie that presents Hong Kong as a crowded hellhole being stripped of its resources by foreigners and ends with a bloody shootout on a literal mountain of graves. Strong stuff, especially considering the playful fantasy/action films the director began making shortly after (shades of Peter Jackson). Watched on Youtube as no physical copies were available - the only version I could find was edited from multiple prints of varying quality but appears to be uncut or close to it (the version I watched was about 116 minutes long, while the edited version runs almost 20 minutes shorter). The soundtrack uses uncredited music from Goblin (from the Dawn of the Dead/Zombi 2 soundtrack) and Jerry Goldsmith (from Star Trek: The Motion Picture), among others.
Last edited by velcrozombie on July 15th, 2021, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 15th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Kickboxer 4 - While this does not have the star power of the original, and yes it is pretty cheesy, I found it quite enjoyable, for the fights alone. Sasha Mitchell has some strong fighting background as well as his temporary sidekick Megan Lawrence who despite her small size can pack quite a wallop. Only real complaint is the new guy Kamel Krifia is no match for Michel Quissi who played Tong Po so effectively against Jean Claude Van Damme.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2021, 6:30 pm

Still get Netflix DVDs, and we got Cop Out the other night. It was hilarious!

I remember seeing the previews 10 years back and thinking it looked really funny. Then I heard the bad reviews and put it on the backburner. But it turned out to be exactly the kind of movie I was looking for. Tracie Morgan is hilarious.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 26th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Bad Taste (1987) - Peter Jackson's very first movie, done with a shoestring budget but very effective. Neat gore effects, though it's not for everyone especially the squeamish. If you can stomach it you'll find it very rewarding. Peter Jackson has mulitple roles as well!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 10th, 2021, 9:32 pm

The name Joel Schumacher usually brings a shudder as he's the one for tarnishing the Batman movie franchise, as well as other dismal works. But there is one guilty pleasure of mine from his works that's actually entertaining, give a hand for the little lady:
The Incredible Shrinking Woman. Just finished watching it, and I still like it! Gotta love Lily Tomlin's smile.....

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2021, 11:43 pm

Enduring Due Date (2010) tonight. So unfunny. Can't believe it was by the same guy who brought up the hilarious Old School (Todd Philips).

Return to “Other Media”