Bad Movies You Like For Some Reason

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
MSR1701

Re: Bad Movies You Like For Some Reason

Postby MSR1701 » July 21st, 2021, 7:32 am

Black Hole as a Bad Movie? Definately scared me as a kid (the bit where the Evil Robot (tm) basically disembowels one of the character and throws him onto a live electrical charge scared me right along with the horrid hellscape at the end. Ironic that viewing from the eyes of an adult, the film is more enjoyable (though quite dark, by Disney standards both before and since).

For Bad Movies I enjoy, hmm...

Mortal Kombat Annialation - on my, as cheesy as the original MK movie was, this was a trainwreck, but a delicious one; still has one of my favorite deliveries of all time by Shao Kahn - "Earth is under Attack....and IT...IS...GLORIOUS!!!!!"

Hudson Hawk - this movie is high on the profanity, and at times makes zero sense, but is just so fun with the dialog and over-acting.

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier - easily the worst Star Trek movie with the original cast by a mile, there are moments and lines that are memorable and quotable. The Jerry Goldsmith score helps you ignore (though not nearly enough) the horrible low-budget effects, and his remix of his Klingon Theme is one of the high points for the movie. Sad thing is, even his score couldn't save Star Trek Insurrection from being a complete bore...

Remo Willaims - now this is a flop that few I've talked to outside of family seem to know of; what was apparently supposed to be a series began and ended with this fun action movie.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » July 21st, 2021, 7:46 am

The OG Planet of the Apes sequel films. All have progressively cheaper budgets and changes in the era making it more dated as you see 70s styles, and initially I only liked the first film. But if you watch them back to back, you see and appreciate the sci fi concepts and connections between all the films. And Roddy McDowell is always great.

Now in contrast, I find the year 2000 era remake by Tim Burton a pretty bad film. And I can't say I enjoy it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 21st, 2021, 1:00 pm

What a great thread this has turned out to be. I really want to thank everyone who's posted so far, because these mentions and suggestions are taking me on a looooooong walk down memory lane! You guys are knockin' stuff loose in my mind that I totally forgot was even in there!!

A big shout-out to anyone who's mentioned Krull and Flash Gordon. Two childhood faves, each with their own not-that-bad 2600 game, to boot! I'm tempted to lump Megaforce in with those two (as its 2600 games isn't too bad, either) but ehhhhh, it's tough to watch, even with the ridiculous spandex "uniforms" and the lovely Persis Khambatta. At least she got to keep her full head of hair for that flick.

I've got to get my wife on the Flash bandwagon. She's never seen it, but we're both card-carrying members of the "We'll Watch Anything With Timothy Dalton" fan club, so it's only a matter of time 8-)

MSR1701 wrote:Mortal Kombat Annialation... Hudson Hawk... Star Trek V ...Remo Williams

Dude, what a list!! MK Annihilation is a bit of a sore spot for me, only because it paired with Batman & Robin to make for one of the most disappointing movie Summers I ever had. Fun to watch now, sure, but when you're hyped as a teen to see both flicks, well... the end result was not what I was expecting. At least B&R is infinitely quotable, and I drop the Ahnuld Mr. Freeze lines on a daily basis. "Tonight's forecast: A FREEEEEEZE IS COMING!!"

As I am also in the "I'll Watch Anything With Bruce Willis" club, Hudson Hawk is pretty fun for what it is. The movie was over-hyped by Nintendo Power Magazine, of all things, and one issue even had a contest where you could go see the movie in a theater as a sort of viewing party. A strange way to market the film, but it worked, and I begged my Mum to take me to see it. Let's just say I appreciate it more as an adult. When he asks the lady at the end, "Will you play Nintendo with me?" I just lose it. Every time.

Trek V is a mess, but it has its moments. I enjoy it, too. When I was younger, my neighbor worked at an indie video store, and was always bringing home promo merch when it was being phased out. We ended up with two cardboard cutouts promoting the film - one of Kirk, one of Spock - with both actors awkwardly posed while holding a Star Trek V videocassette. 'Twas a simpler time.

Remo Williams is its own breed - definitely a movie that probably wouldn't be made nowadays. You know you're in for a treat when the main character is "the other guy" from Tremors (...) who happens to be named after a bedpan (?) and takes orders from Wilford "Diabetes" Brimley (???) with a supporting role featuring Captain Janeway (!!!) and a white guy made up to be a wise old Korean martial arts master. Ooooooh, boy...

That movie was pretty much always running on daytime TV, along with other oddball 80s action flicks like The Final Countdown. I feel like I always managed to turn it on during the training montage where Remo dives headfirst into a sand dune and leaps out the other side. Let's just say that I tried to re-create that stunt during a family vacation to the beach, and I did not have the same results...

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » July 21st, 2021, 3:52 pm

Street Fighter: The Movie. For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. But for him, it was Tuesday.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 21st, 2021, 4:12 pm

DialSforSam wrote:Street Fighter: The Movie. For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. But for him, it was Tuesday.

Virtually any scene in that movie with Raul Julia is Gold. That, and Zangiefs Quick, Change the Channel!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 21st, 2021, 4:21 pm

Another batch of movies:

Alien Resurrection - other than Alien n Aliens, this is the best movie in the Alien franchise by a light year. Plenty of horror n over-acting, and Ripley being awesome.

Animal Farm (cartoon or Hallmark Channel versions) - while both make significant changes to accommodate a visual medium, the gist of the book is carried over well

Love at First Bite - George Hamilton as Count Dracula in 70s NY looking for a bride. Great lines and acting make up for a NUTS premise.

Zorro the Gay Blade - another George Hamilton movie, again with great dialog and acting with a nuts premise (the new Zorro injures himself, and his twin brother takes up the mantle with a twist).

Caveman - for a movie mostly with grunts and fake cave speak, this is hilarious

Star Wars - Episode III - John Williams saves this, as does the ending, though the final scenes make one wish the production staff gave this much attention to the rest of the prequels..

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 21st, 2021, 4:31 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Zangief's Quick, Change the Channel!

Danggit, you beat me to it!! Seriously, SF has some of my all-time favorite movie lines. My wife quotes Zangief's "You got... paid?" on what feels like a daily basis. Yes, I married a winner :D

One of my oldest friends also does this to me *every single time* we meet up. I play the part of Van Damme in correcting his "mistake." We'll probably keep it up for the rest of our lives.

MSR1701 wrote:Cavemen

Wait, the one with Ringo Starr?? I dunno, man...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2021, 9:18 pm

DialSforSam wrote:Street Fighter: The Movie. For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. But for him, it was Tuesday.

Congrats - you just won the internet. This is the movie I turn to when I absolutely, positively have to get sloshed. I can't think of any other way to view it!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2021, 9:36 am

I have the crème de la crème... Waterworld! Kevin Costner, 1995.

Highly underrated due to bad press. I actually worked with a guy who liked this, so I'm not the only one.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 24th, 2021, 9:45 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have the crème de la crème... Waterworld! Kevin Costner, 1995.

Highly underrated due to bad press. I actually worked with a guy who liked this, so I'm not the only one.

I've heard it is nowhere near as bad as it is made out to be. It's on a list along with Cool World for me to see (an old trailer on a Star Trek VI VHS had my interest).

Anyone hear seen Wizards (1977)?

Return to “Other Media”