[Re]made for Kids

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Crummylion

[Re]made for Kids

Postby Crummylion » September 21st, 2021, 12:57 am

Basically had this idea for this thread when I looked into a game called Stupid Invaders for Dreamcast which turned out to be an adult oriented point and click game adapted from a children's cartoon called Space Goofs. Both made by the same animation studio, but the game surprisingly released a couple years into the show's run... This show lasted nine years... Only other time I could think of something made for kids reworked to appeal to a vastly mature audience was Conker's Bad Fur Day.
On the flip side, in order to make a quick buck, companies would easily make spin offs or adaptions of more adult oriented works to appeal more to kids or at least marketable. Something like Toxic Avenger/Crusaders or Rambo. Knew of Toxic Avenger thanks to the Angry Video Game Nerd and maybe a B Roll of Lloyd Kaufmann's car comically exploding in The Gunstringer, but the idea of Rambo for kids sounds insane. It might not even be a marketability thing, maybe just scrapping to make use of characters like The Simpsons appearing on Sesame Street. Despite the bizarre contrast, I know for a fact this type of thing is something everyone witnessed growing up, whether they knew it or not. I know I did. Revealing my young age without being specific, one show I grew up with was Catscratch. For the uninitiated, it was a Nickelodeon show by Doug TenNapel, the creator of Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood, about three wealthy cats going on hijinks. If you know Doug's sense of humor, you'd know how bizarre these hijinks might get. What you might not know was that the three main characters originated from a comic called Gear. Not only was the tone and plot different, exploring Judeo-Christian themes, politics, moral ethics, and plenty of violence and some vulgar humor to boot, the show barely has anything to do with the comic other than said cats and the fact their monster truck was named after the titular religious figure of the book. Oh, it wasn't a turn off for me, just a random surprise. Don't know how I would stomached the book and its violence if I was eight though.
So I'm curious, what comes to mind if at all of any childhood classics that actually had adult origins? Do you know of the source material then rather than now? And what were your reactions finding out that fact?

Luigi & Peach

Re: [Re]made for Kids

Postby Luigi & Peach » September 21st, 2021, 10:11 pm

Pee Wee Herman was originally a comedy skit for adults. I never saw the skits though so they never affected my opinion of his kids show which was comedy gold to a 7 year old. Tried to watch Pee Wee's Playhouse as an adult and it definitely wasn't the same.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 27th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was originally a gritty, violent comic book, but you wouldn't know that from all the cartoons, movies, video games, etc.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » September 27th, 2021, 7:28 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was originally a gritty, violent comic book, but you wouldn't know that from all the cartoons, movies, video games, etc.

So here's the funny thing. I actually knew of the comic thanks to the 4kids show's crossover with the original 80's cartoon. Minor spoilers, but apparently Shredder from the 4kids show died and was brought back to life by the 80's Shredder and the Shredder from the former seeks to destroy all renditions of the Turtles. How does he do that? Kill the original Mirage turtles and cause a time paradox. Makes no sense, but the special clearly was a love letter to the franchise. There was also a crossover for the Nickelodeon show as well, so the Mirage Turtles had at least one cameo.

As for Peewee Herman, I can only imagine how risque he was at one point, but I know the creator wanted to reimagine him in a more grim and edgy light with the Safdie Brothers to direct a film. So basically a "what if Peewee Herman is Peewee Herman because he's actually clinically insane." If these guys can salvage Adam Sandler's career as well as that guy from Twilight, they can do Paul Reuben and his character justice. I don't think that movie went anywhere though, because now they're working on a documentary on Paul instead. Eh, I trust these guys.

Return to “Other Media”