Worst Movie Sequels

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Worst Movie Sequels

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Have we discussed this yet? I bring it up because I recently rewatched Ghostbusters on Blu Ray, and it' every bit as funny and charming as I remember. Even the special effects rock.

Ghostbusters 2 was also included in the package. I hadn't seen that one since it was in the movies and I was on a date. It wasn't very memorable. Anyway I began watching it and after about 15 minutes I had to shut it off.

I hated the fact that the Ghostbusters had "fallen from grace" and were basically a laughing stock. But the worst part about this movie was how it was not funny at all. I think they were trying to be funny in certain scenes (like Egon's lab) but the joke fell so flat it was hard to stomach.

I can't believe there was a writer for this film. I suspect the movie studio figured if they simply brought back all the old characters hilarity would ensue. It did not.

Anyway I think this would have to be the worst sequel in memory but I'm sure there are others...

Zack Burner

Re: Worst Movie Sequels

Postby Zack Burner » September 26th, 2021, 8:35 pm

How about the third Ninja Turtles movie? That's the laughing stock of the franchise. Too light-hearted, the jokes aren't funny any more, and lack of shredder.

Then there's Superman IV, so bad even Christopher Reeve himself claimed it was a huge blow to his career. RottenTomatoes summed it all up perfectly: "The series bottoms out here, the action is boring, the effects look cheaper, and no one seems interested with where the plot is going"

And of course Batman and Robin. Where do I even begin with this movie? George Clooney is incredibly miscast, the villains in this aren't compatible, Ahnold's Mr. Freeze is painfully unfunny with his ice puns, it's like the creators treat him as a joke, makes the 60's Adam West Batman show look like a masterpiece.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 26th, 2021, 10:30 pm

I would nominate Caddyshack 2. The original is a lot of fun; but the sequel is just awful. Jackie Gleason is no Rodney Dangerfield. Randy Quaid, as much as I love him as Cousin Eddie, is no Bill Murray. Just a poor decision all around.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » September 30th, 2021, 8:48 am

I think Ghostbusters 2 is just fine. To me it had the same problem that Godfather 3, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and some others have, that because it's not as good as it's predecessors, it must by law be considered awful. I like to think I judge movies more fairly than that. I don't care for Caddyshack 2 but then again I didn't really like the first one either.
My suggestions would maybe be Terminator Genisys, Mortal Kombat Annihilation, Resident Evil 3-6, Police Academy 3, A Good Day to Die Hard.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » September 30th, 2021, 9:51 am

JohanOberg wrote:I think Ghostbusters 2 is just fine. To me it had the same problem that Godfather 3, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and some others have, that because it's not as good as it's predecessors, it must by law be considered awful. I like to think I judge movies more fairly than that. I don't care for Caddyshack 2 but then again I didn't really like the first one either.
My suggestions would maybe be Terminator Genisys, Mortal Kombat Annihilation, Resident Evil 3-6, Police Academy 3, A Good Day to Die Hard.

I agree there JohanOberg, Ghostbusters 2 is good, though not as good as its predecessor. Men in Black II follows the same principle, though the 3rd actually stepped up and added some originality not to mention a surprisingly emotional moment late in the movie, which I won't reveal here. Spider-man 2 is one of my all-time favorite movies, but when the 3rd came out I didn't get it on DVD, as it had way too many cooks in the kitchen. The original Karate Kid is another all-time favorite movie of mine, the 2nd was pretty good, but didn't have the impact the first had, but the 3rd, forget it, although there was one saving grace: Terry Silverman, who almost saves the movie with his slimy deception.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 30th, 2021, 10:54 am

Star Wars Episode II.

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier and Star Trek (IX) - Insurrection are the worst ST Movie sequels, although one can say that Star Trek II was part of an exclusive club where the sequel was significantly better than the original movie (I am one of a few that enjoy the first Star Trek film). The only other example I can think of where a sequel was superior to the original was Disney's Rescuers Down Under.

On to other Dud Sequels:

Mortal Kombat Annihalation (I actually enjoy this movie because of how horrid it is)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (the first Mechagodzilla movie was VERY good, the sequel...had moments, but the monster fights were a bore in comparison)
Alien 3 (easily the low point of the first four movies in the franchise)
Alien vs Predator 2 (oh my, and I thought Alien vs Predator 1 was a dud...)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 30th, 2021, 10:57 am

JohanOberg wrote:I think Ghostbusters 2 is just fine. To me it had the same problem that Godfather 3, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and some others have, that because it's not as good as it's predecessors, it must by law be considered awful. I like to think I judge movies more fairly than that. I don't care for Caddyshack 2 but then again I didn't really like the first one either.

BHC3, Gostbusters 2, and others such as Men in Black 2 suffer from severe Sequelitis, where they try to capture the glitz/magic of the original, but for one reason or another (missing key actors, worse writing or directing, too samey, etc.) just fail. Jurassic Part 2 also fits this category, I believe.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 30th, 2021, 5:38 pm

I thought the whole time travel story line in MIB3 was awful. I enjoy the first two, but never watching that again.

As for my real pick, Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Holy crap that was awful. Really enjoyed the first one. Loved seeing Colin Firth of all people as a bad ass. The 2nd one is crude, gross, bad, so over the top unbelievable as to be insanely stupid, and is absolutely my pick for 'worse sequel.

strat

Postby strat » September 30th, 2021, 6:39 pm

Hangover 2 was such a blatant clone of the first one I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

The new Star Wars trilogy should be on here. Episode VII was passable, VIII and IX were each worse than the last.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » September 30th, 2021, 7:15 pm

strat wrote:Hangover 2 was such a blatant clone of the first one I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

The new Star Wars trilogy should be on here. Episode VII was passable, VIII and IX were each worse than the last.
]]

I liked Hangover 2, many funny parts. That said, you stole my thunder, I completely agree with you on SW Episode VIII and IX, not only are they bad sequels but may be the two worst movies ever made.

Return to “Other Media”