Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 22nd, 2021, 8:15 am

I watched Love Hard on Netflix the other day. It was a pretty good Christmas movie. Something light and fun.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 24th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Matrix Resurrections. The popcorn with extra butter was excellent and I would never turn down a $6 soda. The film? My bad, no idea what made me think it was going to be good, Matrix 1 good, 2 and 3 sucked, that was 1/3. Now 1/4.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 25th, 2021, 8:12 am

DrLitch wrote:Matrix Resurrections. The popcorn with extra butter was excellent and I would never turn down a $6 soda. The film? My bad, no idea what made me think it was going to be good, Matrix 1 good, 2 and 3 sucked, that was 1/3. Now 1/4.

I wanted to ask someone if this was going to be good as I thought the promos did not look much cop. Plus no Larry Fishburne as Morpheus. Good to hear about the soda and popcorn. Thanks you have just saved me £10.
For me it was Matrix 1 excellent, matrix 2 okay, matrix 3 bad, where is the video game controller so I can join in on the video game?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 25th, 2021, 8:40 am

Matrix 1 was good, I only remember the horrid CG Agent fight from 2 (though the music was good),and 3...was fun to riff, had a good soundtrack, and had a live action/CG DBZ fight at the end.

Zero interest in #4, waiting for the Sonic 2 and Super Mario Bros movies in 2022.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 25th, 2021, 10:04 pm

Just finished watching my favorite Christmas movie of all-time: A Christmas Carol (Scrooge 1951), with Alistar Sim as the old miser. He doesn't just play the part, he lives it. You can watch it in color or black and white, though I prefer the latter, as it enhances the old Victorian feel of the tale. I loved how Jacob Marley wails every now and then. Often cited as the best version of A Christmas Carol and it's not hard to see why.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » January 1st, 2022, 4:54 pm

Used the time on the airport to give Nobody and the original Matrix a watch. Not familiar with the director other than the hype surrounding his work on John Wick, but Nobody was fun for watching Saul Goodman and Doc Brown kicking ass, lol. Also, I thought The Matrix was overrated, even if I did enjoy it. Guess I got caught in all the hype surrounding the new film.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 2nd, 2022, 6:28 pm

Just saw two movies one is new the other contemporary old, one was good the other was so painfully bad I walked out on it. I'll start with the bad one. "The Jerky Boys: The movie", based on an album of prank calls about two slovenly young adult ne'er-do-wells who do nothing but prank call people and even after being reprimanded they never learn their lesson. It's basically one continuous long stretch of chases, unfunny jokes, and wasted talent of celebrities like Alan Arkin, William Hickey, and Tom Jones. I tried the album once, and not once like this movie did I laugh at any of it. There are more worthwhile ways to entertain oneself than prank calls or movies about prank calls.

Now for the good one, "The French Dispatch" by Wes Anderson. Like Jean Pierre Jeunet of France, there are a lot of quirkiness and subtlety in this great comedy making fun of the human condition like the rest of Anderson's works including the 2 stop-motion works. With a nice cast, you'll want to watch this one more than once.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » January 14th, 2022, 11:05 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Haven't been to any movie theater in a few years, but it was great to finally get the opportunity to see "Ghostbusters Afterlife". I loved every minute of it, went in with high expectations and it delivered almost perfectly, I went out smiling. I won't reveal anything in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, but it exceeded my expectations much better than the 2016 female version, not that I disliked that version in anyway shape or form, but this one paid full respect to the fans with plenty of homages, and nods. The main girl Carrie Coon did a great job, as did the other kids and cast members. It is not without a few flaws though, the original group doesn't show up until later, and some faces are completely left out, though one member doesn't show up until part way through the credits (I recommend sitting through the credits for best results), and there are a few plot holes. Otherwise, if you're a Ghostbusters fan this is a must-see!

I've seen this a number of times now. As a big fan of the original, this is a wonderful homage to that story. I think the music is so amazingly well done - it feels like the original just from the music.

One edit on Zac's comment: Carrie Coon is the mom. McKenna Grace is the "main character" and she is awesome.

Paul Rudd is, as usual, fricken funny.

Two thumbs way up from this guy right here.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 15th, 2022, 7:32 pm

So I was watching TV and I saw Footloose was on. That goofy 80s movie about an American town that banned dancing. Proved to be the starting point for Kev Bacon. So I was watching it going, I do not remember any of these bozos in the movie. Plus it looked awful. Then it dawned on me, someone had remade it. Sure enough it was a turgid remake. If you think that is bad, there is worse.
On prime there is the remake of Jacobs ladder. A classic that did not need remade. This one is like a tv movie. Just awful on every level.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 16th, 2022, 1:53 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:So I was watching TV and I saw Footloose was on. That goofy 80s movie about an American town that banned dancing. Proved to be the starting point for Kev Bacon. So I was watching it going, I do not remember any of these bozos in the movie. Plus it looked awful. Then it dawned on me, someone had remade it. Sure enough it was a turgid remake. If you think that is bad, there is worse.
On prime there is the remake of Jacobs ladder. A classic that did not need remade. This one is like a tv movie. Just awful on every level.

I saw the broadway show of Footloose instead of the movie and what you've said perfectly sums it up. A pretty hollow movie though not without a few good songs. Kevin Bacon in the lifeblood to the movie, adding a bit of depth, but not a whole lot.

Back on point of what I've seen, I've recently seen "In the Heat of the Night" with the late Sidney Poitier in his iconic role as Virgil Tibbs. One of my all-time favorites, this is more than a movie, it broke ground, released around the height of the Civil Rights movements in the 60's, it was more than a simple detective movie, it showed racial prejudices and one who had to stand up to it, especially when Virgil slaps back someone who slapped him. I admire Virgil as a character, he shows a lot of spine, not afraid to speak up when necessary, pick up a pipe to defend himself against hoodlums, and won't stop until the case is solved.

Return to “Other Media”