Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 9th, 2022, 3:58 pm

MSR1701 wrote:And this is why I asked if there was ever a third movie in a Trilogy that worked... My memory is already slipping...

There'd be a lot more, but usually these days movies only remain a trilogy if the third one isn't making a lot of money.

Anyways, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Captain America: Civil War, Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors, Goldfinger, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Toy Story 3, the Bourne Ultimatum, Army of Darkness, etc.

Most of the time a third movie only fails because they're just going through the motions. You're just getting a lesser version of what you've already seen.

Or, if they do have new ideas, they haven't bothered to link them to what came before. In a worst case scenario, they give you zero reasons to get emotionally invested, because they simply take brand loyalty for granted.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 9th, 2022, 8:00 pm

Playing the Batman arcade game inspired me to watch the original Batman starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

I think the gothic look of this film is absolutely fantastic. That along with the sweeping musical score really sells the entire thing.

However, I couldn't help but notice how long it was and how it was badly in need of an editor. Even as I was watching I was taking note of a number of scenes that should have been completely axed, for the better. I'm used to films being too long in 2022, but this film was guilty of the same thing in 1989.

As for the casting, I think Michael Keaton pulled off the role of Batman DESPITE being completely miscast. Jack Nicholson was a natural, and appears to be having the time of his life. In fact, it would be harder for somebody to convince me he's NOT the Joker in real life!

The extra features included on the disc is tremendous. Unfortunately since physical media is being phased out I'm afraid film companies will stop putting the extra effort into menus of documentaries.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 9th, 2022, 8:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Playing the Batman arcade game inspired me to watch the original Batman starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

I think the gothic look of this film is absolutely fantastic. That along with the sweeping musical score really sells the entire thing.

However, I couldn't help but notice how long it was and how it was badly in need of an editor. Even as I was watching I was taking note of a number of scenes that should have been completely axed, for the better. I'm used to films being too long in 2022, but this film was guilty of the same thing in 1989.

As for the casting, I think Michael Keaton pulled off the role of Batman DESPITE being completely miscast. Jack Nicholson was a natural, and appears to be having the time of his life. In fact, it would be harder for somebody to convince me he's NOT the Joker in real life!

The extra features included on the disc is tremendous. Unfortunately since physical media is being phased out I'm afraid film companies will stop putting the extra effort into menus of documentaries.

great movie...it's the only superhero movie i ever liked..plus i was a huge Prince fan at the time so i loved the soundtrack

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 9th, 2022, 9:02 pm

ASalvaro wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Playing the Batman arcade game inspired me to watch the original Batman starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

great movie...it's the only superhero movie i ever liked..plus i was a huge Prince fan at the time so i loved the soundtrack

One of my favorite movies! I love it for what it is, a great comic book movie with terrific performances, love Keaton's portrayal as the Bat, and Jack Nicholson is perfectly cast as the Joker. Love the vehicles Batman drives, and the final showdown, the duel of the freaks.

"Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?"

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 10th, 2022, 3:26 am

Zack Burner wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:

One of my favorite movies! I love it for what it is, a great comic book movie with terrific performances, love Keaton's portrayal as the Bat, and Jack Nicholson is perfectly cast as the Joker. Love the vehicles Batman drives, and the final showdown, the duel of the freaks.

"Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?"

yup i agree! did you see it in the theatre when it came out? that was a cool experience

Voor

Postby Voor » May 13th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Anyone see the new Batman? I watched it recently on HBO max. It’s very different (closer to the movie Se7en than the other batmans) but we’ll done. Still, a pet peeve of mine, waaaayyy too long, and perhaps overrated. I’d give it 3.5/5 Mario coins.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 16th, 2022, 9:36 am

Just finished rewatching one of my all-time favorites since warm weather is here: "The Sandlot". This has stood the test of time alright, and for anyone growing up in the 90's this was essential viewing. Too many good moments and lines, and even today, I can watch this without getting tired of it. It raises my spirits every time I watch it as it perfectly captures the all-American summer with plenty of it: Baseball games (whether you play it or view it), dealing with a rival team, the pretty girls you see, going to the pool, 4th of July Fireworks, a day/night at the amusement park, and dealing with some issues/getting into trouble. It's like a Norman Rockwell painting come to life. Let's not forget the appearances of Karen Allen, James Earl Jones, Denis Leary, and Art LaFleur as Babe Ruth himself. And of course who could ever forget all the many lines, "For-ev-er!" "This is my heater I dare you to hit it!" "You play ball like a girl" "This is baseball you gotta stop thinking, have fun" and of course "You're Killing me Smalls!". I could go on and on, it's that good, it doesn't get any better than this.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 16th, 2022, 10:18 am

Voor wrote:Anyone see the new Batman? I watched it recently on HBO max. It’s very different (closer to the movie Se7en than the other batmans) but we’ll done. Still, a pet peeve of mine, waaaayyy too long, and perhaps overrated. I’d give it 3.5/5 Mario coins.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying HBO Max. I watched The Batman over three nights due to its length. It makes watching movies so much easier when I can pause it, call it a day, and come back to it another evening. The movie itself is good, kind of like a slow burn. Did you watch the deleted scene with the joker in it? That was pretty cool. There's an awesome making of for it as well that was a lot of fun to watch.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 21st, 2022, 10:07 pm

Just finished watching a cult classic of the 90's: "Empire Records". Didn't get enough respect back then, but now I realize it for what it is and love it! This movie screams 90's: SNES, Gameboy, crop tops, buzz cuts, Gwar, Axl Rose, grunge, swining hair styles, VHS, I could go on and on. Gotta love Liv Tyler and Renee Zellwegger as polar opposites, the sweet, shy, overachieving, girl to the popular, underachieving girl. Then there's the lovestruck art student lover boy AJ and overly quirky Mark, and who could forget Lucas the reckless fool and Warren the shoplifter? I love for what it stands for: teen individuality over business conformity, and I love that Joe the boss acts like a father to his employees rather than the stickler boss you'd expect. One of my guilty pleasure movies!

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » May 22nd, 2022, 3:40 pm

Watched the new Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers movie on Disney+ last evening.

Return to “Other Media”