Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » May 22nd, 2022, 6:58 pm

Wanna know where all the kaiju movies originated from? From the original 1954 original "Godzilla: King of the Monsters". Before we had the versus movies and the countless other spin-offs there was this. Though the effects and acting are dated today, the theme is timeless. I used to watch this several times as a kid, now as an adult I'm able to catch the metaphors of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki from 10 years before this released.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 22nd, 2022, 7:07 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Wanna know where all the kaiju movies originated from? From the original 1954 original "Godzilla: King of the Monsters". Before we had the versus movies and the countless other spin-offs there was this. Though the effects and acting are dated today, the theme is timeless. I used to watch this several times as a kid, now as an adult I'm able to catch the metaphors of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki from 10 years before this released.

Ok all, which do you prefer - Godzilla King of the Monsters, or Gojira? (There were enough changes when the movie was adapted for US release to make each a separate film)

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 22nd, 2022, 7:11 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:Wanna know where all the kaiju movies originated from? From the original 1954 original "Godzilla: King of the Monsters". Before we had the versus movies and the countless other spin-offs there was this. Though the effects and acting are dated today, the theme is timeless. I used to watch this several times as a kid, now as an adult I'm able to catch the metaphors of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki from 10 years before this released.

Ok all, which do you prefer - Godzilla King of the Monsters, or Gojira? (There were enough changes when the movie was adapted for US release to make each a separate film)

I've only seen King of the Monsters but not the full fledged original, though I forever name the lizard Gojira.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 22nd, 2022, 10:47 pm

Watched the movie "Nobody" on HBO Max. Great film! Reminds me of John Wick.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 27th, 2022, 8:27 pm

Top Gun: Maverick

I won't say much, other than I thought it was awesome. I've actually seen it twice already.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 28th, 2022, 10:32 am

I watched the new Dr. Strange movie in the theater last weekend. I've intentionally avoided reviews and spoilers. As a result, I was kind of surprised it was like a horror movie. Still good but definitely different than past Marvel movies.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 28th, 2022, 10:51 pm

"The Lost City" with Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, and Daniel Radcliffe. Corny, but loveably so.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 31st, 2022, 11:15 pm

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Do movies need dynamic characters? I’m not sure anyone really learned anything or changed over the course of this film. Giant squid still looks good. Fun adventure movie, with a sad end.

Iron Will - A boy enters a dog race to save his family farm & earn money for college. Lost of work-hard-for-your-dream rhetoric. Not bad, tho I wonder if the risk was too great for the potential reward. (They had another option to raise funds, tho it wasn’t great it was less risky.) Hmmm... working hard is laudable, so I’ll say this is a decent film, with some exciting segments & cool scenery.

White Fang - 90’s adaption of 1900’s novel. The novel follows a wolf-dog; this follows the boy who’ll eventually take him. Decent survival/treasure hunt movie. Bart the Bear makes an appearance.

Swiss Family Robinson (1940’s) - Wanted to see this for a long time. The 60’s version’s better, but this is a decent family adventure film. It is episodic, & most episodes are given a religious interpretation, tho that’s in the novel as well. Don’t mind the religious angle, but the last episode left the film with a question instead of an answer.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 1st, 2022, 8:16 am

pacman000 wrote:20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Do movies need dynamic characters? I’m not sure anyone really learned anything or changed over the course of this film. Giant squid still looks good. Fun adventure movie, with a sad end.

Iron Will - A boy enters a dog race to save his family farm & earn money for college. Lost of work-hard-for-your-dream rhetoric. Not bad, tho I wonder if the risk was too great for the potential reward. (They had another option to raise funds, tho it wasn’t great it was less risky.) Hmmm... working hard is laudable, so I’ll say this is a decent film, with some exciting segments & cool scenery.

White Fang - 90’s adaption of 1900’s novel. The novel follows a wolf-dog; this follows the boy who’ll eventually take him. Decent survival/treasure hunt movie. Bart the Bear makes an appearance.

Swiss Family Robinson (1940’s) - Wanted to see this for a long time. The 60’s version’s better, but this is a decent family adventure film. It is episodic, & most episodes are given a religious interpretation, tho that’s in the novel as well. Don’t mind the religious angle, but the last episode left the film with a question instead of an answer.

Ah, three of the 4 I'm familiar with. The first one is the best of the bunch, yeah that giant squid still looks convincing even today! Peter Lorre is still creepy though. I watched Iron Will many times when I was on a kick to go to Alaska since that's where the Iditarod took place along with White Fang. I also watched Balto a lot as well. As for the last one, I saw the 60's version that Disney did once and I liked it.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 1st, 2022, 8:38 am

20,000 Leagues rules, and the book is even better, especially with the original illustrations. It has all kinds of exciting stuff that was beyond the movie's budget, including a whole swarm of squid and a voyage to the south pole. Much better ending, too (the movie's ending is based on the sequel, The Mysterious Island, but it means a lot less without the ending of the original book). Be sure to read a recent translation, though; the widely reprinted Victorian one is criminally awful.

Return to “Other Media”