Jurassic Park Films Ranked

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Jurassic Park Films Ranked

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 20th, 2022, 10:31 am

1. Jurassic Park (1993). One of the greatest films of all time. Every scene was consequential and every line quotable. Amazing effects (that hold up) and lots of scares.

2. Jurassic World (2015). This is actually a very fun movie and a fine tribute to the original as well. Plenty of humor, good acting, and excellent effects.

3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018). I think this one is underrated. It's very different from the rest. The second half of the movie has a distinctive haunted house vibe.

4. Jurassic Park 2: Lost World (1997). Kind of a mean-spirited movie that undermined a lot of the appealing traits of the original. That said, still some exciting moments, like truck hanging off a cliff.

5. Jurassic Park 3 (2001). They really narrowed the scope of this one, making for a forgettable trip. I thought a lot of the effects looked fake.

6. Jurassic World Dominion (2022). I think this was written by committee. Too many actors, too many ideas, not enough heart. Didn't know what was going on by the end and didn't care. Left me feeling exhausted and NOT wanting more.

Your turn!

Stalvern

Re: Jurassic Park Films Ranked

Postby Stalvern » June 20th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Jurassic Park

All the rest

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 20th, 2022, 4:12 pm

I haven't seen Dominion yet. I've see the others many times and probably feel similar to VGC's review order.

The thing is, each film does bring a different feeling experience. In a lot of ways, JP and JW feel the closest, to me. JP is clear and away the best and most special of all the films, but JW did a good job at carving out a new experience with new actors, fun to watch but not a total ripoff / repeat of JP1.

The Lost World introduced great new music from John Williams and it still has that Spielberg set feeling, for better or worse I guess. I think it is too long, although the usually-cut sequences such as the one introducing Roland add to the experience. It's a bit harder to sit through than JP. The raptor gymnastics scene will always be insultingly BAD, and lots of dialogue is not well written. I really don't like any scene with the daughter Kelly. But its great to have so much Ian Malcolm in this one. I also actually enjoy the final on-mainland segment and I LOL every time the Japanese executives are shown screaming running down the street.

JP3 is like a low-stakes roller coaster ride and I view it as 'the funny' episode of the series. Its great to have Sam Neill back as Alan Grant, and several of his lines make me LOL. "You like computers don't you?" , then "I like the abacus, Billy". Or, "what about Cooper?" HAW HAW HAW . Or even when Grant rolls his eyes at the end in the plane when the family is just beyond annoying with each other. The Pteranodons and Spinosaur and raptors are all good stuff, although it doesn't make sense why the Raptors didn't rip everybody apart when they had the chance.

JW2 is (as mentioned above) a little bit like the horror entry of Jurassic Park. It feels the least similar to the OG film to me, and I really didn't like the scene where the Brachi is caught up in the fire/volcano. Who wanted to see that? Its probably my least liked film so far but I can still enjoy it, it grows on me. Owen and Claire's interactions are very amusing once again here.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » June 21st, 2022, 6:54 am

I'm a huge fan of Jurassic Park. When it first released I went to see it about five times in the cinema and loved it. Alongside Indiana Jones and Back to the Future, it's one my favourite films from my youth. As a ten year old child it captured that wonder and magic that is hard to replicate when you get into adulthood.
I recall being so excited for The Lost World as a fourteen year old. I read the book several months before the film's release and adored it. Sadly I was heavily disappointed by the film adaptation as so much was changed from the book and the magic was gone.
Fast forward to nineteen years of age and a friend and I watched a forgettable monster movie in the form of Jurassic Park 3. It was ok but felt like there was no heart in it.

Years later I watched one of the newer Jurassic park's and it was ok but nothing holds a candle to the 1993 original. Quite frankly these modern, globe trotting sequels come across as ridiculous. The first instalment instilled upon its audience a sense of fascination, awe and magic. To this day it holds up as the perfect adventure film that can be enjoyed by the whole family and has one of the greatest film scores of all time.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 21st, 2022, 9:18 am

1. Jurassic Park

Everyone saw this. And it doesn't matter that the raptors are too large and missing feathers, or that the dinosaurs all suffer from mummification head due to scales simply being thrown over top skulls - these are the dinosaurs I grew up with. And seeing them move like real animals on the giant screen in a darkened theater? It felt like you were in Jurassic Park. Every moment of awe the characters experience was shared by the audience.

At least, once we finally got to see the dinosaurs.

But it's okay. The cast was good company. And once things go wrong, in all the right ways? It was pure Spielberg popcorn magic. The kind he'd been struggling to find. It was a great way to end his blockbuster run, before he'd explore more serious fare.

Jurassic Park was the ultimate feel good horror movie, and that's a tension none of the sequels would ever match.

2. Jurassic World.

The only sequel that didn't feel like a contractual obligation. It was bigger, sillier, and filled with tall tales like an invisible dinosaur and leading a pack of raptors into battle on a motorbike.

And I'm only human. You give me anything that shameless with the fan service? That throws a splinter fingered t-rex into the end, and books it like a Toho fight, where the fan favorite wins regardless of whether it makes sense?

It helps me forgive this movie's flaws. Like, this movie can't seem to decide whether I'm supposed to cheer for Zara's death. The extended Looney Tunes physics and the framing of the final shot to make it look as badass as hell when she's eaten? It's not a surprise to find out the actress was having the time of her life, doing her own stunts and getting an epic death scene, while the director just wanted to show off for future death lists and compilations.

But it comes out of nowhere. And there's reasons why over the top sadistic scenes like this are normally reserved for villains and South Park style comedy. It's hard to get invested in this story and the characters in them, if the movie doesn't give a damn about its own emotional stakes. Especially when the kids she was trying to protect, have to watch every one of her last moments, helpless to do anything...and it mostly has no effect on the story afterwards.

Can you imagine if the Lion King had handled the stampede scene like this?

3. The Lost World.

I didn't walk out of it.

4. Jurassic Park III

I walked out of it.

The rest of them.

Not interested.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 21st, 2022, 10:04 am

Stalvern wrote:Jurassic Park

All the rest

My sentiments exactly. Jurassic Park did have its share of cheesy Spielberg moments (Laura Dern taking Samuel L. Jackson’s arm in comfort, only to realize it’s just an arm).

BUT the scene where Sam Neill first sees a dinosaur and gets weak at the knees always gets me. And I read for the first time last month that Neill’s reaction to the dinosaurs was his idea. He said something along the lines that his character spent his whole life studying dinosaurs and it was his passion, so the idea of him fainting at the first sight of a real dinosaur was really cool to me. None of this macho “Hey cool a Dino! Rock on baby!” A real reaction from a real person, and awesome little stuff like that contributed greatly to the final product.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 22nd, 2022, 6:17 pm

I watched Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom and I feel like it deserves a lot more credit.

The pre-credit sequence is the best of all the films. The film is divided into two halves - a volcanic isle adventure, and a suspenseful mansion. The writing is really excellent. I've never seen a film quite like this one. Very original.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 22nd, 2022, 7:51 pm

Stalvern wrote:Jurassic Park

All the rest
I agree with stalvern completely.

Return to “Other Media”