Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » October 22nd, 2022, 10:16 pm

I'm going on a trip to Argentina in a short time, so with that and Halloween around the corner, I decided to catch one of the Universal Studios Monster movies: "Creature from the Black Lagoon" since that is set in the jungles of South America. A nice monster movie about the dangers of man exploring the unknown and how the misunderstood can be something dangerous. The creature suit still looks good to this day, and even more surprising one of the men who played the creature, Ricou Browning is still alive! And then there's one familiar actor, at least to me, Richard Carlson, who a few years later starred/worked with my hero Dr. Frank Baxter in two of the Bell Science programs: Hemo the Magnificent and Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays. I didn't consciously know this the first time I watched this, but then I noticed a certain familiarity.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 23rd, 2022, 5:57 pm

Last night I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) by Francis Ford Coppola. Really an amazing-looking, stylish film. The intro scene is fantastic. Awesome practical special effects and great atmosphere.

Thing is, the movie gets muddled with too many actors and dialog. Doesn't really build up to anything. The climax was a bit anti-climactic as well.

Still, fun to watch if only just for the look of it.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 25th, 2022, 4:13 pm

Random question, anyone else having issues receiving notifications for threads you are following? Haven't had the emails come over in a while

Steve

Postby Steve » November 1st, 2022, 11:31 am

Bullet Train - Way over the top but in a good way. It was surprisingly funny despite the excessive violence. Some amusing cameos also. Highly reccommended.

Nope - This was an enjoyable movie however, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed. While I really enjoyed Us (not so much Get Out) and enjoyed the advance previews, this movie was just nothing outside of a good alien invasion movie. I remember seeing the UFO in the preview so it wasn't really a secret. As a result of his prior films, I think people were reading too much into the potential messaging and maybe I missed it. Despite the very slow buildup, it was an enjoyable film. I did not like the performance of Daniel Kaluuya.

Spiral/From the Book of Saw - While this was not the best of the 3 movies, I was the most surprised by this given my expectations. I really do NOT like Chris Rock in anything he does and only watched this as a free rental. I have not seen all of the Saw/Jigsaw movies but I've seen enough of them to know they have been sub-par compared to the original. Having said that, I found this movie pretty enjoyable and maybe even top 2 of the series. It was weird to see Chris Rock in a serious role but overall, I thought he was pretty good. A pleasant surprise.

jon

Postby jon » November 20th, 2022, 11:14 pm

I just rewatched “In Hell”, a Van Damme DTV movie from 2003 with Lawrence Taylor in it. It’s great. There are some great DTV’s from Van Damme (and Seagal). I think the key is knowing which ones they are lol

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 24th, 2022, 9:03 pm

I've seen plenty of other films I haven't talked about lately and I'll try to get to them, but I just want to recommend Seconds (1966), directed by John Frankenheimer and starring Rock Hudson. Watch it. Don't look up anything about it, just go in blind for the best experience.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 24th, 2022, 10:46 pm

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
This is a must for our family (and many of my friends) for Thanksgiving. So great, such funny moments, and the classic John Hughes heartfelt moment.

Followed by...

A Christmas Story Christmas
I didn't even know this was a thing, but my wife (who LOVES A Christmas Story) had seen this advertised and insisted on watching it. I was surprised by how well done it was. I thought it tied into the original very well, and yet had its own story and punchlines. Wasn't as much of a play-on-nostalgia as I expected, but stood on its own pretty well.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 25th, 2022, 8:39 am

Breaker wrote:Planes, Trains and Automobiles
This is a must for our family (and many of my friends) for Thanksgiving. So great, such funny moments, and the classic John Hughes heartfelt moment.

Just watched that one last night, about 2/3ds of the way through and I love what I see, hilarious and heartwarming all in one, many hysterically funny moments such as the first hotel scene, Del selling his shower curtain rings to random people, and Neil's voice after being "helped" by the cab driver.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 26th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Cinema Paradiso - an Italian drama that made me fully realize the full magic of movies. I've been watching this one since the age of 5, and has since become one of the mother's favorite movies as well. A touching tale of a boy and a projectionist (who later goes blind when a reel catches fire, though thankfully the boy saves his life), and the boy's developing years into a director. There are 2 versions: the original 1990 version and a director's cut, which has more, but feels more depressing than the original, which I won't reveal here. One of my favorite foreign films.

jon

Postby jon » November 26th, 2022, 8:01 pm

Just saw "Wake of Death", a Van Damme DTV in 2004, soon after "In Hell". It's great. I'm pretty sure these are his best from the "era".

Return to “Other Media”