Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 27th, 2022, 11:08 am

I guess due to the death of Irene Cara, the wife and I watched Flashdance last night. I had never actually seen this 1983 flick, although well aware of the music.

It was very, very 80's. To the point where I didn't know what to make of certain bizarre scenes and dialog. Still, it had a very innocent quality to it. Hot chicks dancing around half-naked non-withstanding.

It's cheesy as hell, but it's one of those shallow, feel-good flicks you rarely see anymore. Fun to watch.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » November 27th, 2022, 12:36 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I guess due to the death of Irene Cara, the wife and I watched Flashdance last night. I had never actually seen this 1983 flick, although well aware of the music.

It was very, very 80's. To the point where I didn't know what to make of certain bizarre scenes and dialog. Still, it had a very innocent quality to it. Hot chicks dancing around half-naked non-withstanding.

It's cheesy as hell, but it's one of those shallow, feel-good flicks you rarely see anymore. Fun to watch.

Have you seen Quicksilver starring Kevin Bacon as a guy who quits his stock trader job to become a bicycle messenger? One of those cheesy movies that I liked as a kid, but is painfully 80s today. Which may be a good thing depending on your POV.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 27th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Seeing a review of An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, on this site as a game, I decided to catch the movie, having not seen it in decades, and I'm pleased to say it holds up just as well as the predecessor, having grown up with that, but this one's twice as much fun, and with the vocal talents of not just Dom DeLouise as Tiger, and Phillip Glasser as Fievel reprised, plus the talents of Jon Lovits, and the two show stealers John Cleese (Cat R. Waul), and Jimmy Stewart (Wylie Burp) what's not to love? Cleese has a lot of fun in the role of a villainous cat, even parroting a Texas accent, plus that animation is outstanding!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 27th, 2022, 8:39 pm

"Smile". I caught it for free somehow (Xfinity user, apparently gives me Epix for free, which has the movie for another week or so).

It's one of those rare horror movies that actually had my wife freaking out. It wasn't gory or over the top with anything, but on at least two occasions she turned to me and said "this is giving me goosebumps!"

Myself, I enjoyed it and will probably work it into my Halloween rotation going forward. I'm not sure I totally wrap my head around all the "rules" that the movie indicates for this particular evil propagating through the population, but maybe after another viewing or two I'll get it.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 28th, 2022, 8:29 pm

I'm watching the 2019 version of A Christmas Carol on Hulu. Less than 15 minutes in, and Scrooge has already dropped the f-bomb. What psychopath read Charles Dickens' greatest work and decided it needed more swearing?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 28th, 2022, 11:49 pm

"Greatest work" is a bit of a stretch there, to say the least.

Not a movie, but I've been watching Nathan Fielder's (mini?)series The Rehearsal with a friend and finished it last night. Now that is psychopathic! Nathan for You was an uncomfortable show, but this one is downright inhuman. I don't want to spoil it for anyone interested who still hasn't seen it, but I will say that it makes a kid saying hi to his daddy the most heartbreaking thing in the world. Can't wait for whatever deranged charade he comes up with for the next season.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 2nd, 2022, 8:40 pm

Kuroneko (1968 - Japanese; translation - Black Cat) an old Japanese horror flick about two women who get killed by a gang of rogue samurai, then return as ghosts to feast on the blood of samurai to sustain life after making a pact with the underworld to do so. Only one lone samurai can stop them, but there's a problem, the ghosts are in fact his wife and mother respectively, what can he do about it? Plenty of artistic direction and nods to Noh drama where every movement is crucial in storytelling. In one shot, you can see a woman's hair move like that of a cat's tail, which amplifies the creep factor.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 4th, 2022, 10:30 am

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) - The ultimate road trip film, this may have been the last truly hilarious comedy ever made.

Uncle Buck (1989) - this was a very sweet film about an uncle visiting to take care of some kids for a few days. It was John Candy at his best. Also, McCauley Caukin was hilarious.

Sadly, I don't think either one of these films could be made today without "major revisions" to suit modern "sensibilities". Sad but true!

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » December 4th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for the first time a few nights ago.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 4th, 2022, 2:09 pm

DialSforSam wrote:Watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for the first time a few nights ago.

So what did you think?

Return to “Other Media”