New Ozzy Album: Patient Number 9

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Ozzy Album: Patient Number 9

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 6th, 2022, 11:09 am

I was in Target this morning and noticed a new album from Ozzy called "Patient Number 9". Last time I heard, that guy had one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel.

Anyway it's getting rave reviews on the internet. Many are comparing it to his original albums. I was a big fan up until about 1991 or so. I might have to check this one out.

Anybody heard it??

Stalvern

Re: New Ozzy Album: Patient Number 9

Postby Stalvern » November 6th, 2022, 12:24 pm

I checked out the two Iommi songs on YouTube sometime last month and found the production just about unlistenable. Overloaded mix with everything trying to drown everything else out, compressed into a big flat slab of digital noise, with Ozzy himself autotuned beyond recognition. Are good riffs lurking in there somewhere? The sound is so impenetrably processed that I genuinely can't tell. What I can tell is that it certainly isn't anything like Blizzard of Ozz or No More Tears. Also, the lyrics to "Degradation Rules" will turn your stomach, assuming you can make them out in the first place.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 7th, 2022, 12:12 pm

https://open.spotify.com/album/4u1LXToDGOdhDDf4c9zeqb
It is good. I like it. It is not as good as the Jake E Lee era and nothing compares to Randy Rhoads. I have been playing it all of today.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 4th, 2022, 11:12 am

I have been playing this. It's okay. I think the title track is the best.

But I think I agree with Stalvern about the mixing. At first I thought it was my crappy car stereo, but I feel like the sound doesn't have much range. It's like each song wants to escape a confined space but can't.

Maybe it sounds better on vinyl.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 26th, 2023, 10:52 am

I am still listening to this album. I think it is esp. poignant as Jeff Beck who plays on two of the tracks died recently. The could always get the guy from Sheavy to sing along with him to balk the levels. Though not sure Ozzy would stand for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Knl1Q9X80&ab_channel=DesTr%C3%B6yerVideo

Return to “Other Media”