FIFA World Cup 2022

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

FIFA World Cup 2022

Postby Zack Burner » December 4th, 2022, 1:25 pm

Anyone else watching this? I'm using Peacock to do so, there are many great matchups such as USA vs Iran, Argentina vs Australia, France vs Poland, and coming soon these 2: Senegal vs England and Japan vs Croatia. So far the USA has been ousted by the Netherlands, so in it's place I'm rooting for Argentina (having just been there on vacation last month), France, Japan, and Senegal. I like rooting for underdogs so let's hope Senegal does well, there's always a time for someone to shine. On the Argentina side, they have one major superstar, Lionel Messi.

JohanOberg

Re: FIFA World Cup 2022

Postby JohanOberg » December 6th, 2022, 5:48 am

I'm also rooting for Argentina, want them to win their third after 78 and 86. Messi already brought them to a silver, if he gets a gold(this is his last chance probably) he'll be able to say he's in fact better than Maradona or at least his equal.
I wanted to have Germany and Uruguay in the playoffs but they didn't make it thanks to the asian teams, who then got eliminated. I don't want Spain or Brazil to win, and would prefer if France didn't either. But France are most likely to win I would say. France vs Brazil in the final, repeat of 1998 incoming?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 6th, 2022, 8:18 am

So far poor Senegal and Japan have been ousted too, and poor South Korea got squished like a pancake against Brazil, don't care about Switzerland, Portugal, Morocco, and Spain, not that I have anything against them. Brazil has turned into a bully, though I would like France to get ahead. That means, Argentina is the only team now worth rooting for, go Messi!

Update: Morocco just scored a BIG upset against Spain, there's one happy moment!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 7th, 2022, 4:17 am

Being Scottish, and living in Scotland for most of my life I have no team to support. Loved the games so far. USA played well but were sunk. Portugal France, England and Brazil are looking good.
It is live on the BBC so I have watched quite a few of the matches. Also, I am a Rangers FC supporter, West Ham FC in England.
Grid Iron I support the New Yawk Jets.
I do not watch Cricket or Rugby.
Baseball is basically cricket as far as I can see.
Ice Hockey is good but I do not have a fave team.

So it is mainly football I watch.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 7th, 2022, 4:21 am

Zack Burner wrote:So far poor Senegal and Japan have been ousted too, and poor South Korea got squished like a pancake against Brazil, don't care about Switzerland, Portugal, Morocco, and Spain, not that I have anything against them. Brazil has turned into a bully, though I would like France to get ahead. That means, Argentina is the only team now worth rooting for, go Messi!

Update: Morocco just scored a BIG upset against Spain, there's one happy moment!

Switzerland got squished. It was like a steamroller rolled over them.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 9th, 2022, 1:30 pm

Croatia just pulled a HUGE upset against Brazil. Was not expecting that. One thing for sure, Argentina vs Netherlands is going to be intense.

Update: Argentina advances with more penalty kicks, ousting the Netherlands!

jon

Postby jon » December 9th, 2022, 8:01 pm

I've always rooted for Argentina. My best friend growing up was born in Argentina. It was a phenomenal game, them being up 2-0 and then the Netherlands tying it up before some dramatic penalty kicks.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 9th, 2022, 8:42 pm

jon wrote:I've always rooted for Argentina. My best friend growing up was born in Argentina. It was a phenomenal game, them being up 2-0 and then the Netherlands tying it up before some dramatic penalty kicks.

Glad to hear you have a friend that grew up in such a beautiful country! Yeah, that was quite a fight there Argentina put up against the Netherlands. Now perhaps Morocco could do well, pull off another upset, that would be something new to see. As for England vs France, I'll root for France.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 10th, 2022, 2:36 am

Holland nearly done it. I was rooting for them. Argentina are a bunch of thugs. So glad to see Brazil go out as well. I predict 5 nil to Portugal if they keep Ronaldo off the pitch. England vs France. It could be a good game. Sitting here in London, I am sitting on the fence for this one.

jon

Postby jon » December 10th, 2022, 10:45 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Holland nearly done it. I was rooting for them. Argentina are a bunch of thugs. So glad to see Brazil go out as well. I predict 5 nil to Portugal if they keep Ronaldo off the pitch. England vs France. It could be a good game. Sitting here in London, I am sitting on the fence for this one.

The Argentina team is all tatted up lol. I don't understand why Ronaldo isn't playing. They certainly could use him now down 1-0. I've noticed that a lot of managers have rifts with star players. It's like the managers have huge egos. It reminds me of Roberto Baggio not starting in the 1998 World Cup because of his egotistical manager. He did come in late in important matches and make a difference though. Maybe Ronaldo comes in for the 2nd half.

Return to “Other Media”