Renewed Appreciation of Baseball

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Breaker

Re: Renewed Appreciation of Baseball

Postby Breaker » January 19th, 2023, 10:53 am

ASalvaro wrote:
Tron wrote:Ok not wanting to make a new thread on this, but I would love some feedback.

I just found out David Ortiz made the Hall of fame!?!? He’s a player that tested positive for steroids. Am I missing something or wasn’t the WHOLE reason that Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa & Palmerio aren’t in the hall is because of admitted or even suspected drug use???? I’d say all those guys were better than Ortiz so what gives?

i really do think all those guys you mentioned belong in the Hall Of Fame..the MLB was just fine with it at the time and took advantage of it

They all belong in the HOF, but the voters (who are writers and looked the other way and glorified those guys in their heydays) have decided to play judge, jury and executioner on certain players. I basically assume everyone who played in the MLB from the late 80s to the early 2000's used some type of performance enhancing drug at some point - and those guys were so good. All you can really do is compare players to their contemporaries... the best of every generation should be in the HOF.

jon

Postby jon » January 19th, 2023, 2:19 pm

I think what happened was players started getting on steroids but at the “beginning” in the early mid 90’s there were guys who still weren’t on it who eventually caved in. Can you blame Barry Bonds for having all these roided up players putting up these superhuman numbers? Or Roger Clemens. If you look at Bonds’ stats, it’s fair to make the assumption he only started juicing when you had to keep up with everyone else. Clemens was having trouble with juiced up hitters as late as the mid 90’s. These guys literally had no choice but to juice or they’d be on the wrong end of an uneven playing field. Those are 2 guys I think should be in the HOF.

A couple months ago ESPN cut into this Aaron Judge watch for the “legitimate” home run season record. I didn’t know what it was at first, an AL record? How do we know Judge isn’t juicing? There’s PED’s now that are undetectable. It’s a huge mess and I don’t recognize Judge has the all time single season home run leader. It’s a joke.

Tron

Postby Tron » February 1st, 2023, 9:42 pm

Drug use apparently is not a justifiable reason to keep someone out of the hall of fame. David Ortiz failed a drug test. Tim Raines admitted using drugs during his career. I’m sure there are many more examples. If you look at baseball stats & achievements within the game of baseball as the criteria for being a hall of famer then it makes no sense that McGwire, Sosa, Clemens,Bonds & Raf aren’t in the hall. David Ortiz & Harold Baines aren’t even close to what those guys could do. So I guess it just comes down to cronyism, nepotism & lobbying. If that is indeed true then that makes the hall of fame irrelevant. It totally doesn’t matter. I always thought the hall was reserved for the best players of all time minus Joe Jackson & Pete Rose of course. Say……. Didn’t Bud Selig, the crooked & incompetent commissioner make the hall? Well that just says it all really.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 2nd, 2023, 10:33 am

Tron wrote:
Yeah I think we discussed this before. I hated the Twins since they broke my heart beating my Tigers.

I know the feeling, my first Cubs game would have been against the Tigers in the 1984 World Series. Unfortunately I had my heart broken before that. But I don't think anyone was beating Detroit that year.

Baseball really had a certain charm back in the 80s. The ballparks, the stories, the jerseys. I agreed with my uncle Bob when he said that baseball is too commercialized these days.

That's why I'm always looking for retro rosters when when play The Show. They have all the '84 playoff teams, jerseys, and ballparks.

FB_IMG_1675351916689.jpg
FB_IMG_1675351916689.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

FB_IMG_1675351913577.jpg
FB_IMG_1675351913577.jpg (77.34 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

Tron

Postby Tron » February 3rd, 2023, 9:38 pm

Herschie wrote:
Tron wrote:
Yeah I think we discussed this before. I hated the Twins since they broke my heart beating my Tigers.

I know the feeling, my first Cubs game would have been against the Tigers in the 1984 World Series. Unfortunately I had my heart broken before that. But I don't think anyone was beating Detroit that year.

Baseball really had a certain charm back in the 80s. The ballparks, the stories, the jerseys. I agreed with my uncle Bob when he said that baseball is too commercialized these days.

That's why I'm always looking for retro rosters when when play The Show. They have all the '84 playoff teams, jerseys, and ballparks.

FB_IMG_1675351916689.jpg

FB_IMG_1675351913577.jpg

That is Uber cool. I wish a modern game would have full rosters for any 80’s up until 1993 so I could play it in a season mode. I would love a modern game season mode with the 84, 87 or 93 Tigers. I still haven’t fallen in love with MLB the Show. Every time I give it a chance I don’t like fluidity of batting or the pace of the game. I’m playing MLB Power Pros 2008 PS2 & I love it except season only lasts 10 years & the rookies from drafts always suck. Plus 2008 is not my era

jon

Postby jon » March 20th, 2023, 11:09 pm

I just found out that apparently the National League has the designated hitter rule as of 2021. It had previously been only in the American League I’m sure everyone knows. What babies these pitchers are, and again it’s just another desperation move by MLB as it sees baseball’s popularity plummet. There’s been sports that have passed baseball in popularity the last several years like soccer. And even hockey is more popular.

I think back to 1993 and how I listened to every Marlins Spring Training game on radio during its inaugural season, that’s how big a baseball fan I was. Now I go through channels and there’s the baseball classic again which I don’t think anyone cares about. And back to all the changes to increase scoring, there’s literally no audience they’re catering to. The only fans left are the diehards, and there’s no audience to say, oh scoring is up im going to watch. What a disastrous situation. Pitchers are just too precious to be bothered to hit. It’s par for the course because even hitters can’t be bothered to do things like bunt.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 10th, 2023, 11:42 pm

jon wrote:I just found out that apparently the National League has the designated hitter rule as of 2021. It had previously been only in the American League I’m sure everyone knows. What babies these pitchers are, and again it’s just another desperation move by MLB as it sees baseball’s popularity plummet. There’s been sports that have passed baseball in popularity the last several years like soccer. And even hockey is more popular.

I think back to 1993 and how I listened to every Marlins Spring Training game on radio during its inaugural season, that’s how big a baseball fan I was. Now I go through channels and there’s the baseball classic again which I don’t think anyone cares about. And back to all the changes to increase scoring, there’s literally no audience they’re catering to. The only fans left are the diehards, and there’s no audience to say, oh scoring is up im going to watch. What a disastrous situation. Pitchers are just too precious to be bothered to hit. It’s par for the course because even hitters can’t be bothered to do things like bunt.

I have always hated the DH rule. Growing up a Tigers fan I rarely ever got to see National League games. Now I’m watching them on YouTube & they’re awesome. It adds so much more strategy to the game. Bunting is just one example. How about pitching around a guy just to get to the pitcher? How about using a pinch hitter when you really have a chance to score? Maybe you need that pitcher for longer, but also really need a good hitter. Maybe you keep the pitcher in just one more inning longer since you’re gonna pinch hit for him soon anyway? Why even bother with pinch hitters in the American League anyways? You’ve already decided your best hitters to fielders ratios. It’s so exciting to see a pitcher get an RBI off of the opposing pitcher. The ol’ “Helping himself out” is also a big middle finger as well. When the pitcher walks the other pitcher you know there’s no way he can pretend to of done it on purpose. The DH rule sucks & so does Harold Baines.

jon

Postby jon » March 12th, 2024, 11:34 pm

I've been watching college baseball and it made me realize this might be the best sport to watch in general. There's something about it that is magical. Maybe it's that it's baseball without overpaid prima donna's. Also, there's something that's calming and even feels pretty cool about getting immersed in college baseball when just about everyone else doesn't. I can't explain it, but going to a game that almost no one cares about feels pretty cool. And I also get reminded that if they'd just push the fences back 30-40 feet (MLB too) this would be maybe the best sport in the world. Sometimes I wish I was born 100 years earlier so I could've watched baseball before owners did everything they could to make it about home runs. I've looked up those dead ball era years, and I love how it was about strategy plays like a hit and run and bunting. I still don't know why people are so enamored with home runs.

Return to “Other Media”