Getting started with Dungeons and Dragons?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: Getting started with Dungeons and Dragons?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 24th, 2022, 7:06 am

Gentlegamer wrote:If it doesn't say "Gary Gygax" on the cover, it's not really D&D.

That said, start here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/11 ... 23_0_0_0_0

Isn't that the first edition? Does it still hold up when everyone's playing, what is it, fifth edition now?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 24th, 2022, 10:04 am

This is the version I owned, and still own! Look at that artwork? If that doesn't give you the itch to play, nothing will.

But yeah, it's probably not compatible with the new stuff.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 24th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Actually, 1st edition (AD&D) also made a renaissance in table top role playing. So while there is 5th edition out there, others do play OSRIC (which means Old School something) or other "Dungeon Crawl" modules and game systems - sort of the analog of retrogaming for the table top crew. I think 'neoclassical' is another term I've heard. They even mimic much of the art style.

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it isn't fun, well designed, or amenable to modern people looking for fun.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 25th, 2022, 9:52 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:If it doesn't say "Gary Gygax" on the cover, it's not really D&D.

That said, start here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/11 ... 23_0_0_0_0

Isn't that the first edition? Does it still hold up when everyone's playing, what is it, fifth edition now?

Talk of "edition" doesn't apply to what I linked. It's known as Moldvay Basic, and it's the best starter set for Dungeons & Dragons; pair it with Cook Expert, and you're set. Afterword, if you want more complexity and options, move to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 26th, 2022, 2:41 am

scotland wrote:Just because something is old, doesn't mean it isn't fun, well designed, or amenable to modern people...

Definitely. Also, I think you just pretty much described the theme of this entire website!

Tron

Postby Tron » February 3rd, 2023, 10:45 pm

Never played this back in the day as the dudes I knew that did were such nerds & the cute girls were repulsed by it so I gave it a Hard pass. Older now & have my sexy redhead & am more secure with myself I’d love to play this now. I know a lot of D&D from just video games like Baldur’s Gate. If I ever got the chance to play I think I’d just take the basic knowledge I have now & just “wing it”. Make it fair, but not worry about all the exact details. I mean if you want to over complicate it & turn into needing a doctorates degree of D&D you can, but just throw out some options with some dice to roll. Factor in armor class, proficiency & levels, but be creative. Use your imagination & have some fun.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 4th, 2023, 2:19 pm

I play a similar game, easier to understand, HeroQuest. Four heroes, many monsters, various traps, corridors, and challenges, in fact I need to break it out and play it for a while. I would play either the Barbarian or the Wizard, I even introduced a female elf figure in case a girl comes along and wants to play, considering how popular that type of character is.

Return to “Other Media”