NBA in 2023

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: NBA in 2023

Postby jon » January 14th, 2023, 9:41 pm

Miles Prower wrote:I remember watching a game a few years ago between the Heat and Rockets, and I was absolutely dumbfounded by how the entire Houston offense operated from beyond the 3 point arc. This "positionless" era of basketball was really put on display when you had a 7'0 center shooting from beyond the arc lol. I doubt many of these young players coming up even know how to pass and generate offense in the paint. It's all iso ball and jacking up 3's now. The games are just so predictable. If it's not my favorite team, the Heat, playing then I can't even be bothered to watch. It's so boring. Another thing that bothers me is all these star players taking games off for rest and minor injuries. I get that they have so much money invested in these young players but give me a break. Guy stubs his toe and can't play for two games. Playing a full 82 game season now is some sort of huge achievement.

I think this is a great post. Star players should try their best to play 80+ games. It's about being an entertaining product and they should know that. Having said that, there's no entertaining product. My favorite team, the 1986 Celtics, Larry Bird played every game that year. He understood that fans wanted him. He also understood how to play basketball.

The 3 point line should only be used as a significant part of a team's strategy if they have a bunch of players who are incredible shooters and can create off balanced 3 pointers any time. The closest that's happened is with some of the Steph Curry and Klay Thompson Warriors teams. Having said that, they were beatable if anyone knew how to play basketball and would've had 0 championships. I think 2 guys who are incredible 3 point shooters isn't enough. I think you need 3-4, with a big man who can knock it down from time to time. So the only way 3 pointers should be the focus of an offense is if you have 3-4 J.J. Redick type shooters. My favorite players Jokic and Sabonis use the 3 pointer when needed and would've been a great 5 for that type of game.

Since there aren't 3-4 players in the league who can shoot like that, then of course no team should chuck them up like we see. Every time I watch a game I see guys quick catch and shoot 3's and miss them badly. If they're missing them badly, well it's obvious what they shouldn't be doing. Another HUGE problem is that NBA and college don't call carrying at all anymore. And of course they stopped calling traveling years ago. Those need to be very strictly enforced. Basically there's no team that plays real basketball.

An example is Denver, the team with the best record in the West. Jokic is obviously amazing and is probably the best player in the world. But the rest of that team isn't even that good. That's what's been shocking "checking in" on the NBA for the first time in over 10 years. Each of the other starters has at least 1 significant flaw in their game and they also take too many 3's. And this is one of the best teams in the league. It's absolutely dreadful watching Sabonis with the horrendous Sacramento team he's on. It really upsets me bc both players are 27 and in their absolute prime, with too many selfish teammates to count.

Miles Prower

Postby Miles Prower » January 14th, 2023, 9:57 pm

jon wrote:Every time I watch a game I see guys quick catch and shoot 3's and miss them badly. If they're missing them badly, well it's obvious what they shouldn't be doing.

Oh man, don't even get me started. The last few years I've been noticing tons of guys trying to hit 3 balls and just putting up bricks and air balls. Like what is this, high school? Air balls used to be so rare, now I swear I see at least one or two every game.

jon

Postby jon » February 4th, 2023, 10:07 pm

Miles Prower wrote:
jon wrote:Every time I watch a game I see guys quick catch and shoot 3's and miss them badly. If they're missing them badly, well it's obvious what they shouldn't be doing.

Oh man, don't even get me started. The last few years I've been noticing tons of guys trying to hit 3 balls and just putting up bricks and air balls. Like what is this, high school? Air balls used to be so rare, now I swear I see at least one or two every game.

I'm watching the Heat Bucks game, and I've seen at least 10 horrid 3 point shots. I'm talking off balanced shots from guys like Brooke Lopez. I never thought I'd say this but they should really take away the 3 point line. I have a proposal. I'm sure they'll listen to me. They should take away the 3 point line for 5 years and then bring it back. All these rules also are just bad. They got rid of hand checks, and call fouls on everything. And I think maybe the worst thing was getting rid of having to play man to man. There used to be an illegal defense called to enforce that for someone playing zone, and I think things were better that way. But back to 3 pointers, these analytics don't work. I don't think the average player is shooting at a high enough percentage to justify abandoning everything in favor of it. At least in baseball at the beginning with analytics I could understand the whole on base percentage thing and it kind of worked for Oakland although they certainly didn't win the World Series those years. But this is just awful.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 5th, 2023, 9:55 pm

Today's basketball looks like I'm watching a pickup game at the local park!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 6th, 2023, 7:42 pm

I don't watch anymore. For all the reasons that are listed above. I just can't get into it. Still better than baseball but I just can't do it.

The only sport I am passionate about is football. College first, then the NFL.

jon

Postby jon » February 7th, 2023, 9:02 pm

And then there's the whole idea of "resting". I was looking forward to watching Denver play a couple days ago and they rested 4 of 5 starters, including Jokic of course, because it would've been back to back nights. I looked up players from the past and Michael Jordan almost always played 82 games. I mean, if you're going to get hurt it's going to happen whether it's the 2nd night of a back to back or not. They're basically saying that the regular season isn't important. It also shows a lack of competitiveness. There was no way Michael Jordan was going to sit out a game. I don't see any star player nowadays with that kind of drive. I can understand if someone's injury prone. But where are the players that put their foot down and say, I'm going to play 82 games. They need to man up and realize that fans are paying good money for this. Where are the John Stockton's and Reggie Miller's who say I'm going to play 82 games every year. They sure want their checks every week. What makes it even more absurd to rest star players 10+ games a year is that ever since the 1st round of the playoffs went to best of 7, a team only plays 2 games a week the first round. That's plenty of time to rest. Basically everyone in the NBA is giving a message to the fans the regular season isn't important. Also, this whole thing about Lebron chasing Kareem is ridiculous. He's 37 points behind yet they're putting the Lakers against the Thunder (both teams have losing records) over the Nuggets Timberwolves on TV. They're saying this proves Lebron is the best player of all time. I don't think he's even close personally. The guy could never shoot free throws or 3 pointers. He's not even close to Jordan. And I think a bunch of guys like Larry Bird are better. I think there's guys playing today like Steph Curry (who's one of the only players with whom the analytics actually work and he should be shooting 3's) and Jokic are better. Larry Bird and a bunch of other guys from the past too are better.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 7th, 2023, 10:39 pm

Jon, I agree. Kobe did too.
FB_IMG_1673737757006.jpg
FB_IMG_1673737757006.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 1780 times

jon

Postby jon » February 8th, 2023, 9:36 pm

I did some research about 3 pointers. What I found is that there's 2 teams that shoot over 39% for 3 pointers, the Nuggets and the Nets. But what's really interesting is that those 2 teams are near the bottom in 3 point attempts per game. So basically, they're creating open 3's with foreign things like ball movement, fundamentals. And what's really interesting is that the Nuggets, who lead the league at 39.7%, have players that thrive with low post play like Jokic and Aaron Gordon. I've come to appreciate Aaron Gordon's game and he would be even better if there were no 3 point line. So basically, the teams leading the league in 3 point percentage are teams that would thrive even if there wasn't a 3 point line. I have to give myself some credit, because this is exactly how I've perceived things. I simply would not concede that sacrificing effective low post play for reckless 3's was the way to go. So unless there's a Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, it's not worth it. The only way for it to be worth it is to have amazing 3 point shooters who can shoot at a high percentage off balanced. And there's maybe a couple dozen players in the world that can do that. But, in my opinion for it to be effective is if all 5 players (or at least 4) can shoot off balanced 3 pointers at a high clip. And that's nearly impossible once players get to a certain height needed for rebounding and defense.

jon

Postby jon » February 9th, 2023, 10:05 pm

I'm going to wind this down as at the end of the day there's literally nothing worthwhile to talk about in this thread. But I just had to add one more thing. And this might even be worse than never calling carrying or traveling. Why in the world are so many star players overweight. I've never seen anything like this in my life. I mean, there's been some fat guys like Oliver Miller. But Nikola Jokic looks like he's at least 20 pounds overweight. And a key player on his Nuggets team, Jamal Murray, is also around 20 pounds overweight. And he's gotten injured again. He had missed a year and a half with an ACL injury. And he's playing this year 20 pounds overweight. I didn't think anything of it, but now he's hurt. Luka Doncic also is overweight. He's hurt too. This is just absurd. I think Jokic weighs almost 300 pounds at this point. But back to Murray, he's a guard, and I don't know if I've ever seen anything like this. No wonder he keeps on getting hurt. Without him the Nuggets are terrible.

Miles Prower

Postby Miles Prower » February 23rd, 2023, 2:15 pm

I guess other people are starting to catch on to the NBA's BS. They just had the All-Star game this past weekend and apparently it was the least watched ever! Yikes! Can't say I'm too surprised. Who wants to watch a bunch of guys jog up and down the court and not even give a you-know-what if they win or lose? I get that it's an exhibition game, but you could at least show some interest in putting on a performance for the fans. Don't the people who paid money for the tickets deserve that much? I'm genuinely curious if anybody who actually went to the game came away thinking they got any value out of it. Maybe if you have little kids, but man, even then, I still feel like the kids are getting robbed of something. Also, LeBron getting booed at the Super Bowl was the funniest thing in the world to me. Chasing the ghost? Please!

Return to “Other Media”