Blockbuster Coming Back?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Stalvern

Re: Blockbuster Coming Back?

Postby Stalvern » March 27th, 2023, 9:25 pm

Robotrek wrote:Also, don't we have enough of these freaking streaming services?

At this point, they're basically TV channels that you have to individually subscribe to.

jon

Postby jon » March 27th, 2023, 11:43 pm

VHS was so much better than DVD and streaming. I was at my parents for a few weeks last year and in my room I had this old, small TV with VHS. And so I watched a lot of old movies and it was a blast. You skip past the first minute of junk, and that is very important. With DVD’s and streaming, think about all the junk like ads and screens you aren’t even allowed to skip. VHS should make a comeback kind of like records did. I can’t tell you how satisfying it was to fast forward right to the beginning of the movie. Remember, with DVD’s and streaming you aren’t even allowed to skip those screens.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 28th, 2023, 7:43 am

jon wrote:VHS was so much better than DVD and streaming. I was at my parents for a few weeks last year and in my room I had this old, small TV with VHS. And so I watched a lot of old movies and it was a blast. You skip past the first minute of junk, and that is very important. With DVD’s and streaming, think about all the junk like ads and screens you aren’t even allowed to skip. VHS should make a comeback kind of like records did. I can’t tell you how satisfying it was to fast forward right to the beginning of the movie. Remember, with DVD’s and streaming you aren’t even allowed to skip those screens.

VHS tapes are nice in a way. They have value as a cool thing to collect, much like vinyl records. They have neat box art. Some movies were only released on VHS and not on DVD and streaming. But you also have to rewind. they're low resolution compared to DVD and Blu-Ray, and their quality degrades over time.

Tubi has some good free documentaries about hardcore VHS enthusiasts. There's still interest. It's possible that nostalgia will fuel a comeback at some point just like with records. But at least records still sound good. VHS does not look good on a modern TV compared to streaming and Blu-Ray. Maybe CRT televisions will make a comeback as well.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 28th, 2023, 12:18 pm

jon wrote:VHS was so much better than DVD and streaming. I was at my parents for a few weeks last year and in my room I had this old, small TV with VHS. And so I watched a lot of old movies and it was a blast. You skip past the first minute of junk, and that is very important. With DVD’s and streaming, think about all the junk like ads and screens you aren’t even allowed to skip. VHS should make a comeback kind of like records did. I can’t tell you how satisfying it was to fast forward right to the beginning of the movie. Remember, with DVD’s and streaming you aren’t even allowed to skip those screens.

Ugh, I couldn't disagree more. VHS was great at the time, because that's all we had. But, the quality was terrible, having to rewind, etc was a pain. They took up a lot of room. I don't really notice about the ads that can't be skipped with streaming and dvds. VHS were similiar to cassettes, which I don't miss either!

Vinyl records were a bit different. I can see why some people went back to them, because arguably, they do provide a fuller, richer sound. Myself though, as soon as cds came out to the mainstream (I bought my first cd player in 1990), I didn't look back to records. CD's for me, were better in every way. Clear sound. No pops or skips. Using a remote to skip to any song you liked, without having to get up and carefully placing the needle in the exact groove. CDs could be played in the car, out in the backyard on a boombox, in your cd walkman, etc.

Everyone is different though, I'm glad you enjoy your movies or music in any format that you please! That's really what it's all about. What brings enjoyment can really be different for anyone.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 28th, 2023, 12:43 pm

jon wrote:With DVD’s and streaming, think about all the junk like ads and screens you aren’t even allowed to skip.

I just watched Beetlejuice streaming with my family on Sunday and didn't see a single ad or "screen" (?) before the movie. Also, it didn't look like blurry garbage with half the frame cut out, like it would have on tape.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 30th, 2023, 6:47 am

With the craptastic internet in my local region, I am NOT a fan of streaming, if I can help it. When able I buy the physical versions of my shows/movies/games, with the main streaming I utilize being YouTube for speedruns, tourneys and such.

And if a series or movie is streaming only, well...nuts.

::looking at you, Disney+ and Star Wars::

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 30th, 2023, 6:48 am

Stalvern wrote:

At this point, they're basically TV channels that you have to individually subscribe to.

Saw a great post online somewhere where this guy had a crazy idea, where you can access all of your favorite streaming services on one platform, and you only have to pay one lump sum. He called it...Cable.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 30th, 2023, 7:59 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Stalvern wrote:

Saw a great post online somewhere where this guy had a crazy idea, where you can access all of your favorite streaming services on one platform, and you only have to pay one lump sum. He called it...Cable.

Not quite the same. Now if there were a central service that could check what you were subscribed to and have that content accessible from one app, that would be nice.

Return to “Other Media”