Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby jon » November 27th, 2023, 5:05 pm

I saw Napoleon. Great movie. It had stunning scenery of France around 1800. It’s been a great year for biographical movies.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 27th, 2023, 6:49 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I thought she was good in Aliens.

:lol:

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 27th, 2023, 10:08 pm

Just finished, "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" with John Phillip Law as Sinbad, the sexy Caroline Munro as Margiana, and the great Tom Baker as the sorcerer Koura (in fact it was THAT one role, that earned him the role of the 4th version of Doctor Who!), but the real stars are the monsters of Ray Harryhausen himself. From a homonculus, a griffin, a six-armed goddess statue, to a cyclopean centaur, they're all bursting with life and creativity. Ranks up there with the 7th Voyage, even getting a creature vs creature battle, the griffin vs centaur, just like the dragon vs cyclops battle in 7th. I don't know who I like more as Sinbad, Kerwin Matthews or John Phillip Law, but both are equally entertaining. With a bigger budget, we got a bigger, grander adventure, and it shows, you can see every dollar on the screen.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 27th, 2023, 10:26 pm

jon wrote:I saw Napoleon. Great movie. It had stunning scenery of France around 1800. It’s been a great year for biographical movies.

I concur I just saw it today as well. I'm enjoying these period movies of great historical events. Not Oppenheimer but still a very good film which I enjoyed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2023, 6:19 pm

C64_Critic wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I thought she was good in Aliens.

:lol:

This was kind of an inside joke I was hoping the C64 Critic would get. About 20 years back on these forums I claimed Michelle Rodriguez was in Aliens, only to have everybody jump on me. "She would have been 3 years old!" LOL

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 30th, 2023, 4:10 pm

Ralph Bakshi's "Fire and Ice" (1982) an animated sword fantasy between two kingdoms: Icepeak and Firekeep, the cold evil Icepeak led by the callous Nekron, is threatening to eclipse and dominate Firekeep, only 3 people can stop him: the lone warrior Larn, sole survivor after his village was obliterated by the glacier and the army of sub-humans, the sexy bikini-clad Teegra (who goes back and forth from Damsel in Distress to action girl, even kills a few sub-humans), and the mysterious axe-wielding Darkwolf (think Conan the Barbarian meets Batman). Can they do it and save the kingdom? That remains to be seen. Very nicely animated through the process of rotoscoping that it looks and moves very realistically, a guilty pleasure of mine. Only flaws is the plot is a bit lacking, and some of the dialogue is pretentious, other than those I keep coming back to this one time and time again.

jon

Postby jon » November 30th, 2023, 8:35 pm

matmico399 wrote:
jon wrote:I saw Napoleon. Great movie. It had stunning scenery of France around 1800. It’s been a great year for biographical movies.

I concur I just saw it today as well. I'm enjoying these period movies of great historical events. Not Oppenheimer but still a very good film which I enjoyed.

Apparently even though it’s 2 and a half hours long, there’s a 4 hour long director’s cut. That’ll be a heck of a watch, on Apple TV of course. Apple came to play I’ll say that. Can’t wait to see that.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 3rd, 2023, 8:19 am

Not Christmas related, but seasonally appropriate, plus celebrating its 30th anniversary, "Cool Runnings" (1993) the famous story of the Jamaican bobsled team, how they became heroes of their country, despite a wide range of obstacles including their coach's dark past, lack of funding, and ridicule from everyone including their own country. Thankfully offset with a nice touches of humor such as "a bobsled is a simple thing" "Yeah so is a toilet!"
"How about I beat your butt?" "How about I draw a line down the middle of your head so that it looks like a butt?"
and my favorite, the recurring: "Hey Sanka, you dead man?" "Yeah Mon"
One of the many greats of 1993, proving that year and 1994 were among the best years for movies.

Note: my local theme park The Great Escape in upstate New York had a ride which closed this year after 25 years running, The Alpine Bobsled, a trackless roller coaster which had 4 carts: USA, Canada, Italy, and Jamaica. I've rode that ride several times, though it was closed for maintenance many many times, this was it's last year. I've only rode the Jamaica and USA carts a handful of times, I even rode it the year it opened up in 1998!

Note 2: at one point the coach Irving, played by the late John Candy, holds his heart after getting surprised, a prophecy of what would happen to him 5 months after the movie premiered.....

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 3rd, 2023, 8:12 pm

Starting the holiday season with one of the all-time greats: "Home Alone" though there have been many sequels, they can never top the first one's perfect blend of action, humor, warmth, and of course holiday spirit. Every time I watch it, I laugh, smile, thrill, and think of the people in my life I have to be grateful for, especially when Kevin's Mom gets a reality check herself with the polka band. I never tire of this movie especially with all the traps at the end, gotta love the blowtorch, nail on the stairs, paint cans, and iron in the chute.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 3rd, 2023, 8:41 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Starting the holiday season with one of the all-time greats: "Home Alone" though there have been many sequels, they can never top the first one's perfect blend of action, humor, warmth, and of course holiday spirit. Every time I watch it, I laugh, smile, thrill, and think of the people in my life I have to be grateful for, especially when Kevin's Mom gets a reality check herself with the polka band. I never tire of this movie especially with all the traps at the end, gotta love the blowtorch, nail on the stairs, paint cans, and iron in the chute.

I love the first Home Alone. The second one is such an unnecessary rehash only made for the money. Haven't seen the other sequels.

Return to “Other Media”