Never Buy Epson Printer

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Never Buy Epson Printer

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 27th, 2023, 5:57 pm

I don't print much but when I do it's in black and white. Well I replaced my black and white ink and now the printer is complaining because the yellow is empty. I don't want to print color. And yet apparently won't let me print unless I replace the yellow. Do you know how much these cartridges cost?

The sad thing is, I think all the printer companies pretty much play the same game. It doesn't cost much for the printer itself, but the printer is designed to make you buy cartridges like crazy. And you can't tell me it cost $40 to put black ink into that little piece of plastic.

Tron

Re: Never Buy Epson Printer

Postby Tron » November 29th, 2023, 12:35 am

I’m a bit out of touch w consumerism, but I thought the whole fad of “printing at home” died off years ago, because nobody could afford the ink.

My Buttercup had me pick up a printer for free from some Karen a few months ago. I don’t even think she’s looked at it yet. I miss living alone sometimes.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 29th, 2023, 12:49 am

I will add: Never buy a Western Digital hard drive. Ever since the pandemic, they've been broken right out of the box. Seagates work great.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 29th, 2023, 11:02 pm

I noticed that target and Walmart both carry cartridges that are reused and they typically are half the price, if not a little cheaper than that.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 30th, 2023, 10:29 am

Before our daughter was born we bought a color laser all-in-one printer from Dell for my wife to work from home as needed.

It's been a workhorse. My wife uses it constantly to print out documents to review. It's been working great for 8 years now. About every 6 months, I buy more toner for it via an Amazon subscription and it keeps going.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/dell-colo ... er-h625cdw

I have no clue if Dell still sells the printer or if there's a better model available but can't recommend it more. It was a large, up-front cost but it being able to scan and print double-sided more than makes up for it.

DX_Receiver

Postby DX_Receiver » November 30th, 2023, 3:14 pm

After suffering through enough junky Canon and HP printers, I decided to keep things simple and buy a cheap black and white Brother printer. I only need B&W 99% of the time that I'm printing something and just like you, got stiffed several times with dried color ink after leaving the printer idle for a few months. I haven't had any issues with my Brother in the 3 years I've owned it and expect the toner to last for years to come. The only negative is that there are no real bells and whistles (no wireless features, no scanner), but for a simple, sturdy printer, I couldn't be happier.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » December 2nd, 2023, 1:28 pm

I mean, Canon sells printers for like $55. It's all disposable crap and they know it. I print like ten things a year, but I NEED to print those items. These days if the printer lasts three years I consider it a minor miracle.

Sad, but the world we live in.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 2nd, 2023, 2:02 pm

RDReynolds wrote:I mean, Canon sells printers for like $55. It's all disposable crap and they know it. I print like ten things a year, but I NEED to print those items. These days if the printer lasts three years I consider it a minor miracle.

Some modern electronics are made to last. I've been using this same 23 inch Acer monitor for almost 10 years now and it still runs like a champ and looks great. https://www.amazon.com/Acer-H236HL-bid- ... op?ie=UTF8

My Playstation DS4 controller I use for light PC gaming (mostly emulation) has been working flawlessly since 2017.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 2nd, 2023, 2:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I don't print much but when I do it's in black and white. Well I replaced my black and white ink and now the printer is complaining because the yellow is empty. I don't want to print color. And yet apparently won't let me print unless I replace the yellow. Do you know how much these cartridges cost?

The sad thing is, I think all the printer companies pretty much play the same game. It doesn't cost much for the printer itself, but the printer is designed to make you buy cartridges like crazy. And you can't tell me it cost $40 to put black ink into that little piece of plastic.

same with a Brother printer i bought recently..its TERRIBLE and so CHEAPLY made..it stopped printing after only 3 months so now i only use it as scanner..it's a shame what has happened to these once quality companies

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » December 2nd, 2023, 2:28 pm

mbd36 wrote:
RDReynolds wrote:I mean, Canon sells printers for like $55. It's all disposable crap and they know it. I print like ten things a year, but I NEED to print those items. These days if the printer lasts three years I consider it a minor miracle.

Some modern electronics are made to last. I've been using this same 23 inch Acer monitor for almost 10 years now and it still runs like a champ and looks great. https://www.amazon.com/Acer-H236HL-bid- ... op?ie=UTF8

My Playstation DS4 controller I use for light PC gaming (mostly emulation) has been working flawlessly since 2017.

Oh don't get me wrong - I have some electronics that work just fine for years and years. I can't tell you how many Mac Minis I have running for various things (mostly at the arcade, I use them for video loops and also to power arcade machines as they are way more reliable than 30+ year old PCBs) that are over 10 years old and they run nonstop with no issues.

Consumer printers though? Not so much.

Return to “Other Media”