ALCOHOL!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
LoganRuckman

Re: ALCOHOL!

Postby LoganRuckman » September 6th, 2021, 12:43 am

I actually decided to get sober recently. I was getting drunk and high all the time, and I started tripping balls way too frequently as well (and having too many bad trips because of it). My life has been a trainwreck for a few years now, and depression has always been a struggle for me. I decided getting clean might help me get my life back together so I can be happier, and so far it's working great! I don't plan on quitting forever, but I at least need to focus on improving myself for the time being. I'd still like to get faded for my birthday and New Years and all that, but definitely less than what I was, and absolutely no more psychedelics for this guy. A little booze and weed will be enough for me, but not right now.

comchia

Postby comchia » September 6th, 2021, 1:28 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:For the aspiring alcoholic I'd recommend two mild breakfast drinks - a Mimosa (if you like orange juice) or a Bloody Mary (if you like tomato juice). In Maryland they put old Bay in the Bloody Marys, so it tastes like a cold crab soup. YUMMAY.

Admittingly, even as a former Marylander, I usually can't stand Bloody Mary, but my girlfriend likes it. She once had a big ass jar of it at Universal Studios during the Mardi Gras event, which came with a skewer of shrimp and hush puppies. It was something else.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 6th, 2021, 8:28 am

My friend Sudz lived in Hawaii for a while and perfected his Mai Tai formula.
I was going to include it with his new Pirates (C64) review but since that's running late I'll put this out there.

Mai Tai
1 oz. Ron Zacappa 23 rum
1 oz. Appleton Estates "Rare Blend" 12-year aged rum
1 oz. Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao <-- THIS IS THE SINGLE MORE IMPORTANT INGREDIENT! You can swap out one or the other rums for something similar, but you must use this dry curacao or you may as well pour the whole thing down the sink
2 oz. Lakewood Organic pure pineapple juice (or just buy a pineapple and get your own juice fresh)
2 oz. orange juice (your choice, I use Florida's Natural with 'some pulp')
1 fresh lime rinsed well, sliced into 8 wedges, take 1 wedge and squeeze the crap out of it directly into the glass and then drop the spent wedge in. Maybe a second wedge, if you really want to kick up the lime flavor.

Den

Postby Den » September 6th, 2021, 3:19 pm

How can you have a mai tai without orgeat? Isn't that like the key ingredient that gives it a special taste?

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » September 6th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Den wrote:How can you have a mai tai without orgeat? Isn't that like the key ingredient that gives it a special taste?

I have many Mai Tai recipes that I have tried, and used varying amounts of multiple ingredients. I am totally sympathetic to the Orgeat crowd when it comes to their insistence on its inclusion on anything called a 'mai tai', and at times I prefer to throw some in myself; but this recipe was honed and crafted specifically to exclude any unnecessary sugars and to highlight the natural taste of the tropical juices, citrus, and rums. I've found through my constant winnowing of recipes that the inclusion of Orgeat more often than not left a slightly noticeable 'artificial' or tacked-on sugary mouthfeel that this recipe avoids.

This is my 'go to', the perfect marriage of simple natural ingredients to bring out the flavors of each while keeping things as fresh and pure in spirit as possible. Any time I added Orgeat to the mix I found that I needed to re-jigger the other ingredients to keep things in balance and at the end of the day found it best to simply omit it entirely.

To each their own...

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » December 6th, 2023, 4:59 am

Anyone like Jager bombs, or Jager in general? I do! Caffeine and alcohol is a great combo!

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » December 6th, 2023, 9:43 am

I've never been much into alcohol, which as hampered my already lower-than-average social skills, as everyone always drinks at least a beer when going out or at a party. I don't like beer, wine or champagne which I see as the most common kinds, though I do like cider and wine-coolers which is basically soda with a little alcohol in it. I tried a gin & tonic once, it was terrible. Kahlua-style drinks are also awful to me, and white wine is absolutely worse than red.
It's also a bit annoying that people see cider or fruity drinks as girly(since I'm a man I mean) but whaddayagonnado.
I've been properly drunk maybe 5 times during my life, and while it was fun I don't enjoy being hung-over with a searing headache, so I don't actively seek to get drunk as so many others seem to.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 7th, 2023, 6:59 pm

Had a problem with alcohol several years back. Well it wasn't really alcohol in general, but it was when I drank liquor. My body can't handle it anymore as I'm older and I was tired of getting bad hangovers when beer didn't do that to me. So now I just buy beer and wine. Leaving the liquor behind was a very major improvement!

By the way if you do enjoy beer, check out Tropicalia I think it's pretty amazing.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » December 9th, 2023, 5:31 pm

While we're on the subject, last night was the bi-monthly Date Night with Mrs. C64_Critic, and we went to a nice local restaurant that just happened to be serving a 'family secret recipe' eggnog as part of their desert menu. Not sure why it was relegated to the desert menu and not part of their cocktail menu, but either way I went ahead and ordered it and MAN O-DAY was it tasty. It made me wish that they offered it year 'round as a general drink option, but such is life. This got me to thinking, does anyone else here like eggnog this time of year and if so what is your go-to? I've made it from scratch in the past using eggs from a backyard flock of chickens we used to have and it was phenomenal, but it's been a few years.

Lately I just purchase the Southern Comfort Vanilla Spice eggnog at the grocery store as a base, and when I feel like a cuppa I just mix about 6 ounces of that with 2 ounces of whole milk (to thin it out a bit), and then add in 2 ounces of Kraken Spiced Rum. Pretty tasty, but not as good as what they were serving at the restaurant. I did ask what alcohol they used in their recipe, and without giving me amounts or brand names they said it was a mix of rum and bourbon. I like the idea of mixing those two boozes together for it, but alas I don't keep bourbon or whisky in the house as a general rule. I looked up some recipes online for making it from scratch again, and they recommend gin, brandy, and dark rum. GIN!? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy gin in it's own right, but I don't see it as a good alcohol option for eggnog. Then again, I haven't actually made this recipe either so maybe I'm just not giving it it's due.

Anyone else have a particular eggnog recipe they care to share?

Return to “Other Media”