Read anything good lately?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Read anything good lately?

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 23rd, 2024, 5:58 am

HPL is superb,
I can recommend, the Shadow over Innsmouth, Dagon, Color out of space, At the mountains of madness (my fave), the lurking fear, moon bog and the rats in the walls.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 23rd, 2024, 10:27 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:At the mountains of madness

I'm listening to the audiobook of this as we speak! Also...

BlasteroidAli wrote:the lurking fear

Thank you, dyslexia, for making me have to do a double take when I read that.

Van Halbgott

Postby Van Halbgott » February 23rd, 2024, 12:58 pm

I picked up reading Sue Grafton's alphabet series a couple of days ago.

She's a local author where I live that specializes in mystery novels.

The last book I read and gave up on wasn't as smart as this one.

jon

Postby jon » March 4th, 2024, 6:21 pm

I’ve been rereading The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. It’s one of the few books I’ve really enjoyed reading. Of course I’ve leaned heavily reading plot summaries online since someone I know isn’t very bright with the best memory either.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » March 24th, 2024, 12:23 am

Just read a non fiction book called Memphis Blues. It details how the black community with their jazz and obviously blues influenced Elvis Pressley and how they paid each other back. The blues musicians were incredible. Good American history of the 20th century.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 31st, 2024, 7:59 am

The Thing on the Doorstep. Classic Lovecraft. You wonder where it is going but love that it is going somewhere evil

Anchoa79

Postby Anchoa79 » April 6th, 2024, 10:54 am

Trainspotting, it is fantastic!!!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 8th, 2024, 6:47 pm

Been reading Lincoln in the Bardo on breaks at work. Pretty good so far, and its extensive quoting has given me a lot of further reading to do.

DeGave

Postby DeGave » April 15th, 2024, 8:41 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I'm pretty slow at reading books with a lot of fast starts and slow finishes. Over our vacation back in August with all the plane rides and airports I finished a couple of Hercule Poirot mysteries by Agatha Christie... The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Re-read that one in a year or two. I love Agatha Christie, but re-reading that one put her on a whole other level for me. When I went to read it a second time, I realized she wrote it so well that it reads like an entirely different book the second time. Nothing is actually hidden in there, and reading it knowing the end entirely changes the tone of the book. All kinds of statements that were benign the first time through sound frightened or panicked the second time. You'll see what I mean if you read it again after putting a bit of time between the two readings.

Return to “Other Media”