Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » January 23rd, 2024, 10:35 pm

"Walt and El Grupo" -fascinating documentary of Walt Disney and a group of people's trip to South America to Brazil, Argentina, and Chile to create two films "Saludos Amigos" and "Three Caballeros". The former I'm going to watch tomorrow night.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 24th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Everything Everywhere All at Once. A pretty fun movie but not nearly as smart as it wants me to think it is, and some of the wackiness just gets obnoxious. Still good, especially because of Michelle Yeoh, but not the masterpiece that a lot of people want it to be.

Zack Burner wrote:One of the strangest 1950's sci-fi films I've ever seen, "4D Man" about a scientist who tries to find a way for solid objects to pass through each other without penetration, eventually the scientist's brother gains the power to go into the 4th dimension which enables him to pass through solid objects, though the power ages him more rapidly, yet he can replenish his youth by passing any of his body parts through another which takes away their life force, killing them. The effects of the 4D are astounding even today, they have to be seen to believed. Only downside is it takes about 45 minutes for the fun to start, you'll have to put up with talk heavy scenes and usual 1950's corniness, otherwise worth a look.

My dad got this one on tape from Sinister Cinema in the '90s. I always wondered how the guy didn't just fall through the floor/ground whenever he used his "4D" ability. Going back to it on YouTube in HD, I think the effects benefited a lot from the fuzziness of VHS and CRT.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 5th, 2024, 7:41 am

"Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destinty" - the latest installment in the Indiana Jones series, with the aging Harrison Ford donning the fedora and grabbing the whip. This time he's joined by his Goddaughter Helena Shaw and loveable street rogue Teddy in finding the Antikythera mechanism, before the Nazis do, so they can alter the past. Nice to see some old faces like Marion and Sallah, though the former only gets some brief time on the screen. We also see a younger version of Ford, which I find a bit unnerving for the future....At times the film feels like rehashes of past works and at other times reeks with implausibility, not to say the film isn't entertaining. At least we didn't see Shia Labeouf again....I can't stand that guy.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 5th, 2024, 12:13 pm

Coming up this year, at my performing arts center, this summer I'll be ushering for 2 cine-concerts: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (the 5th one), and celebrating it's 30th anniversary: The Lion King (My all-time favorite Disney movie!)

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 10th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Five Nights at Freddy's is a guilty pleasure for me. I hate the games, but I love watching guys like MatPat drive themselves insane trying to piece together the convoluted mess of loose plot threads that constitutes as its "lore." They've been talking about making a movie for nearly a decade, but it was cancelled and passed between studios so many times nobody actually thought it would ever come out. Now that it finally has, I wasn't sure what to expect from it. I certainly didn't expect it to be good, but like Halloween Kills, I hoped it would at least be entertaining in its badness.

It wasn't. It was just boring. It's like the director wanted to see if he could use all the horror cliches that everyone is sick of, without making them scary at all. There aren't even any decent jumpscares, which is like the only thing the games it's based on had going for them. You know how some people will watch a PG-13 movie and say they're surprised it wasn't rated R? FNAF was rated PG-13, but I'm surprised it wasn't rated PG. Apart from a couple bloody images that weren't really that bad, and a couple swear words, this has to be the tamest horror movie I've ever seen. I know the franchise has always been marketed at kids, but the games managed to be scary (or at least creepy) without alienating its fanbase, so what's the deal with making the movie so toothless?

The least they could have done was stick to the lore. As ridiculous as it got in later games, the first few games at least had a solid enough story if you were able to figure it out. If Blumhouse had just retold that story in greater detail, it could have been a decent movie. Instead, they carried just enough over from the games to make fans go "Wow, that looked so much cooler in an 8-bit minigame" and non-fans to go "Wait, why did he....What was....How did...This makes no sense!"

Even Matthew Lillard couldn't save this absolute snoozefest.

jon

Postby jon » February 11th, 2024, 9:13 pm

I’ve been rewatching all of Paul’s Shore’s movies and they’re just amazing. It’s crazy to think a movie like Bio Dome is considered by critics to be the worst movie ever but I think it’s funny. I might be insane for saying this but I really think he was misunderstood as far as movies. I think they’re already become cult classics.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 13th, 2024, 9:59 pm

With Valentine's Day, I decided on a nice 90's romantic comedy: "The Cutting Edge" with D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly, very fitting since I happen to like figure skating. Nice little bickering between the two and memorable funny lines such as "It's not like his nose is perfect", "I've been doing a little figure skating" " Finger Painting?", the immortal "Toepick!" and "I thought it had to do with personal hygiene". The comedy and romance will definitely make you smile, the question is will they win the gold for the Calgary Olympics? That remains to be seen, yet even so you can't help but root for the bickering would-be couple.

Fun Fact: the two leads would later work with Disney; Sweeney did Aladar in "Dinosaur" while Kelly played Nala in "The Lion King"

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 27th, 2024, 7:28 am

"Hidden Figures" based on real events starring Octavia Spencer, Taraji Henson, Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst, even Jim Parsons (that's right Sheldon from Big Bang Theory), taking place in the 1960s during the age of the Space Race part of the Kennedy era where three women try to help in science and mathematics to figure out the trajectory for Alan Shepherd and John Glenn to beat the Soviet Union in terms of Space travel. Very inspirational as much as "October Sky", and there are even touches of humor, ironically from the scenes of the women ousting the others in math though "Sheldon" tries his best at some "nerd talk" at some points. Kirsten Dunst is really expanding her repertoire as an actress coming a long way from the Spider-Man movies.

jon

Postby jon » February 28th, 2024, 11:44 am

I guess Paula Shore isn’t too popular here. I’ve been watching Son In Law which is maybe his best movie.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » February 28th, 2024, 7:24 pm

I watched what I consider an old late-90's personal favorite, The Fifth Element, which I recently acquired on 4K-HD-UHD Blue Ray. The visuals are as stunning and enjoyable as I remember them, cutting edge for their time but now more of a cool reminder of just around the time CGI turned the page from being campy to truly believable. And Milla Jovovich as 'the perfect being'? <chef's kiss>

What my rose tinted glasses had allowed me to forget was the incredibly annoying, obnoxious, scene-ruining performance of Chris Tucker as over-the-top tv show host Ruby Rhod. I vaguely recalled thinking the movie would be way better without this character altogether, but I didn't recall his involvement being so long, involved, or fingernails-on-the-chalkboard headache inducing as I found it this past weekend. I feel like I'm definitely an outlier in this regard, I've heard his performance in this flick characterized by others as absolutely brilliant, ground-breaking, his first true breakout role, but the entire time he was on the screen I kept hoping that someone, anyone, would just kill him, even though I knew deep down that wouldn't happen.

The other night of the weekend, I watched Guy Ritchie's "The Covenant", which was just excellent all the way around. It is definitely not typical 'Guy Ritchie' fare, so not quite what I was expecting, but a great movie that was well worth the 2 hours invested in it.

Return to “Other Media”