Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ActRaiser

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby ActRaiser » March 1st, 2024, 9:52 am

I watched 2 movies recently.

The first was Oppenheimer. It starts off a bit confusing but makes sense in the end. Really good movie. Solid A

The second and far more fun was Mega Force!

Yes, that's right Mega Force starring Barry Bostwick. "About a rapid deployment defense unit that is called into action whenever freedom is threatened."

You can think of it as a live action GIJOE with Duke replaced by Ace Hunter (Barry Bostwick). This movie is so bad it's great. I remember seeing it in the theatres when I was 4 or 5 but could never remember the proper name for it. I always thought it was called Delta Force as occasionally they would air the Chuck Norris movie on TBS but it never felt or seemed right. That's because I was an idiot.

Anyways, back to the real show. You've got a hot girl, guys with super cool motorcycles, exciting special effects, and lots of explosions.

Remember, "The good guys always win, even in the 80s!"

Here's another gem

Dallas: Well, I know how you feel, and I've been there myself. Let me see. One time before I made a jump into Da Nang, an old buddy of mine told me something that made me feel a whole lot better.
Ace Hunter: What, what did he tell you to do?
Dallas: Well, he said, "You love 'em in blue and you love them in red. But most of all you love them in blue."
Ace Hunter: That's totally inapplicable to anything that's going on here. And it's dumb! Who told you that?
Dallas: You did.
Ace Hunter: But it's very wise. Very wise.

IMDB rates it a 3.6 out 10. Snobs...it's supposed to be cheesy, stupid good fun. There's fun review written up on Amazon by one of the C-130 pilots from the military. He volunteered to go thinking it was a recruitment commercial. Instead it was for a movie so he got to eat a ton of good food and booze it up nightly with the crew.

If you didn't watch it when you were a kid subtract 3 letter grades.
If you're drinking less than 2 beers take away a letter grade.
If you're drinking lots of alcohol add a letter grade.
B+

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 1st, 2024, 5:31 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I watched 2 movies recently.

The first was Oppenheimer. It starts off a bit confusing but makes sense in the end. Really good movie. Solid A

The second and far more fun was Mega Force!

Yes, that's right Mega Force starring Barry Bostwick. "About a rapid deployment defense unit that is called into action whenever freedom is threatened."

You can think of it as a live action GIJOE with Duke replaced by Ace Hunter (Barry Bostwick). This movie is so bad it's great. I remember seeing it in the theatres when I was 4 or 5 but could never remember the proper name for it. I always thought it was called Delta Force as occasionally they would air the Chuck Norris movie on TBS but it never felt or seemed right. That's because I was an idiot.

Anyways, back to the real show. You've got a hot girl, guys with super cool motorcycles, exciting special effects, and lots of explosions.

Remember, "The good guys always win, even in the 80s!"

Here's another gem

Dallas: Well, I know how you feel, and I've been there myself. Let me see. One time before I made a jump into Da Nang, an old buddy of mine told me something that made me feel a whole lot better.
Ace Hunter: What, what did he tell you to do?
Dallas: Well, he said, "You love 'em in blue and you love them in red. But most of all you love them in blue."
Ace Hunter: That's totally inapplicable to anything that's going on here. And it's dumb! Who told you that?
Dallas: You did.
Ace Hunter: But it's very wise. Very wise.

IMDB rates it a 3.6 out 10. Snobs...it's supposed to be cheesy, stupid good fun. There's fun review written up on Amazon by one of the C-130 pilots from the military. He volunteered to go thinking it was a recruitment commercial. Instead it was for a movie so he got to eat a ton of good food and booze it up nightly with the crew.

If you didn't watch it when you were a kid subtract 3 letter grades.
If you're drinking less than 2 beers take away a letter grade.
If you're drinking lots of alcohol add a letter grade.
B+

Mega Force! I am going to watch this again this weekend. I grew up in the 80's and saw this in the theaters. Me and my friends loved it! Perfect 80's "beer and pretzels" movie! If you don't take it too seriously, you will enjoy it!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 1st, 2024, 6:49 pm

Now I'm dying to see Megaforce. I noticed it on Prime, but only to RENT OR BUY. WTF? I mean, I can see why they might charge money for a brand new film just out of theatres, but this is from 1982!!

Prime is turning into a big joke. Half the stuff you have to pay extra for, and then there's commercials!!

PS: Amazon has this on DVD, Blu Ray, and even VHS!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 1st, 2024, 6:55 pm

Go the Blu-ray route and you can watch it as often as you want, whenever you want. The copy I bought on Amazon must have been from Spain as the menus are in Spanish. It's still all in English though. I paid $15 for it a few weeks ago. Money well spent for a terrible movie. Just keep in mind it's bad and you'll love it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 1st, 2024, 6:59 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Mega Force! I am going to watch this again this weekend. I grew up in the 80's and saw this in the theaters. Me and my friends loved it! Perfect 80's "beer and pretzels" movie! If you don't take it too seriously, you will enjoy it!

Enjoy! Yeah, it's definitely a one of a kind. I can't believe I never saw it again on TV until recently. It's dumb fun. Good times.

_craker_

Postby _craker_ » March 1st, 2024, 8:00 pm

So, Dune, Part II. It's all over the internet. Ranking highly on all the review sites, so I hear. I even re-watched part 1 last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

So with the weight of expectation on it, it should be a good night out. Came out feeling a bit deflated as there are two obvious flaws, the first being it's half a movie. It just picks up with a band of brigands in a desert. You know the deal. And that's the 2nd issue, we all know the plot. I reread the book in summer, most of us have watched the David Lynch movie from 1984 (it has a bad rep but I like it!).

So the plot ambles along and reaches it's final scene with the suggestion there's unfinished business. The effects are mostly great, the acting's fine under the circumstances and there's thankfully not too many battle scenes. Not sure the flow of war across Arrrakis worked coherently. Found myself a bit bored in the first hour.

If I sound peeved I actually enjoyed it, and my boys (13, 16) certainly did. We spent the drive home discussing the lore of Dune and how they'll do justice to the rather odd sequals. I'll give it a B

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 2nd, 2024, 12:25 pm

_craker_ wrote:So, Dune, Part II. It's all over the internet. Ranking highly on all the review sites, so I hear. I even re-watched part 1 last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

So with the weight of expectation on it, it should be a good night out. Came out feeling a bit deflated as there are two obvious flaws, the first being it's half a movie. It just picks up with a band of brigands in a desert. You know the deal. And that's the 2nd issue, we all know the plot. I reread the book in summer, most of us have watched the David Lynch movie from 1984 (it has a bad rep but I like it!).

So the plot ambles along and reaches it's final scene with the suggestion there's unfinished business. The effects are mostly great, the acting's fine under the circumstances and there's thankfully not too many battle scenes. Not sure the flow of war across Arrrakis worked coherently. Found myself a bit bored in the first hour.

If I sound peeved I actually enjoyed it, and my boys (13, 16) certainly did. We spent the drive home discussing the lore of Dune and how they'll do justice to the rather odd sequals. I'll give it a B

Very cool. I am glad you enjoyed it. I tried watching it on a flight last year and turned it off about 1/2 way through, I was bored to tears! Reminded me of the Bladerunner movie from a few years ago..slow prodding...the whole time I was watching it I was like "get on with it!".

Anyway, watched the 2023 Napoleon movie last night (free on Itunes+ by the way) and it was just ok. I would give it a C if it was a video game, just average. I kind of feel like they were trying to do too much and in the meantime you never had a sense of what truly was going on. Also, the battle scenes were just ok in my opinion but definitely the highlight of the movie. If you have any knowledge of European/French history during that time bump it up a half a letter grade.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 3rd, 2024, 6:10 am

I saw Dune Part Two yesterday. Visually a beautiful movie, but I didn´t like it as much as Part One. Some romantic scenes between Paul and Chani were too overdramatic if you ask me. Furthermore, not a big fan of Hans Zimmer's music; it's always so bold and loud and little nuanced. Also, if you know the book quite a lot has been changed (the 1984 David Lynch actually follows the book more closely).

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 3rd, 2024, 8:08 am

"The Color Purple" (2023) the musical version of the Pulitzer Prize winning book by Alice Walker, I don't know whether this is better or equal to the 1985 original, but I liked it a lot. Plenty of good musical numbers, and gets more and more joyous despite some of the subject matter of domestic violence and a touch of racism at times. The performances are great, with plenty of great actors like Halle Bailey (who coincidentally played Ariel that same year), Louis Gossett Jr., Taraji Henson, John Batiste, David Alan Grier, even Whoopi Goldberg herself who played Celie in the original. The fact that Alice Walker the author was the executive producer is saying something, I hope this wins an Oscar or two.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » March 4th, 2024, 4:01 pm

Killer Klownz from Outer Space.

Return to “Other Media”