Tennis 2024

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Tennis 2024

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 27th, 2024, 9:13 pm

Sorry to see my man Rafael Nadal go down to Zverev, but he looked a little old today, despite some flourishes here and there. He would not commit to this being his last French Open but I'd be surprised to see him back. This year is looking like his farewell tour.

On the lady's side, Eva Lys is one of the hottest female players I've seen in a long time. I was sad she didn't advance because I want to see more of her!

jon

Re: Tennis 2024

Postby jon » May 27th, 2024, 11:13 pm

Yes it was tough hearing about Nadal losing. I’ve been hoping he can revive the slam chase that’s been on life support since Djoker got to 24, which is only 2 ahead of Nadal at 22 by the way.

But moments like these really show how big of a legend Nadal is. Like it or not, he’s so much more popular than the Djoker that it’s ridiculous. I guess Nadal’s only chance is to start playing regularly again on tour and work out the kinks. But it’s been interesting. I mean you really see how much of a legend he is.

I’ve mentioned that I like how Nadal always stayed out of the spotlight, wasn’t going out getting pictured, loved a simple life with his family. A huge role model in that respect.

As for the rest of the tour, I’ve unexpectedly grown to like Sinner. Out of the 2 young redheads he’s way more likeable than Rublev. And Sinner is just a humble simple guy. It would be nice if he was the next face of tennis instead of Alcaraz. I just can’t stand that guy.

jon

Postby jon » May 28th, 2024, 7:29 pm

As far as Eva Lys……..she can probably beat you and intimidate you with her forehand and backhand.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 28th, 2024, 10:25 pm

Sadly I think it is curtains for Nadal. Djokovic I am not sure will carry on winning slams. Age is catching up to him as well. Was nice having a big three (maybe four) for over a decade. New players? Nobody has caught my eye yet so I am in the neutral camp. Been supporting Nadal for years and did not mind Djokovic either.

jon

Postby jon » May 29th, 2024, 4:38 pm

The problem with Nadal, and I do still have faint hope he can win another major, is that he just struggled throughout the entire clay court season. If there’s any positive, it’s that each loss if he didn’t win a set he at least forced a tie break or got it to 7-5. But that’s only encouraging if he can stay injury free. I’m not sure what if any clay court tournaments are left this year, but he obviously needs to schedule his training to be in top form for clay. He had a set against Zverev that went to a tiebreak so it’s not impossible to come back next year in better form and hopefully higher ranked to avoid a nightmare 1st round matchup like this.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 29th, 2024, 8:26 pm

I do hope to see Nadal attempt one more FO. As for the new players. Hit hard. Hit accurate. Nadal has definitely lost a yard of pace. If he serves and volleys, maybe he can add another slam. Running around? He must avoid that like a bad smell. I miss 90's tennis and as much as I did not like Federer, I miss seeing a technician like him.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2024, 11:05 pm

Just watched a fantastic match between Iga Swiatek and Naomi Osaka. Osaka is really back on her game. Boy did she manhandle Iga for 80% of this match. I thought it was over. I think she was up 5-1 in the third set, with a match point!

But Iga has perfected the art of "sticking around". Eventually Osaka started missing her shots, and Iga won, although she was thoroughly outplayed overall.

The good news is, Swiatek might not face a tougher opponent, which could pave her way to another French Open championship.

Good to see Osaka is back. She went through a tough patch, but she is championship material.

jon

Postby jon » May 30th, 2024, 5:12 pm

As for Dr. Litch's point about the lack of interesting players, it's a shame Kyrgios has been derailed by injuries. I personally don't like him and his views. But the most interesting tournament by far of the last several years for me was when Kyrgios made it to the 2022 Wimbledon Final. It was a great watch thinking is this crazy guy actually going to pull it off?

jon

Postby jon » June 5th, 2024, 10:02 am

So Djokovic withdrew and is having knee surgery. What I always say is that the light goes out immediately, not gradually, and they can never win again. It’s ok if other people step up but it’s such a drag seeing Alcaraz just always in the Semi’s at least. I’ve become a fan of ginger Sinner. What a great name by the way Sinner. That always gains points with me. His girlfriend is really hot too.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 5th, 2024, 10:49 am

Djokovic will probably be back for US open but both he and Nadal are unlikely to win another slam unless they get a good draw. Both have lost a half yard of pace. Sinner is alright, I do not mind him. Alcaraz I have no strong opinion but I would support Sinner. Thing is, with both these players a top two, and both above their peers, they are going to rack up slams. Reach Federer or Nadal or Djokovic, unlikely but they have time. Sampras's record might be within reach. Are those two players really up to the same level as those greats? IMO, not yet, not what I have seen so far. Tennis was not boring with a top three because you had Murray, Del Potro, and Wawrinka that could live with the big boys. There was Cilic as well. It seems now a top two and not really much else. What the hell happened to Thiem, he was looking like a new star and has disappeared?

Kyrgios with Djokovic or Nadal mentality would have won things, mad skills. I quite like his goofy personality.

Return to “Other Media”