Sports Team Names You Miss

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Sports Team Names You Miss

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2024, 5:36 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Tampa Bay Rays just sounds awkward to me.

I think both those names suck. Why didn't they think of the Tampa Bay Manta Rays?? It makes a lot more sense and sounds bad-ass.

Miles Prower

Postby Miles Prower » June 10th, 2024, 4:56 pm

As someone who is a Rays fan, I agree that the new name sucks, mainly because no one knows what it's really referring to. Supposedly, it's meant to symbolize a "ray" of sunshine, but then there's still a manta ray on the sleeve. Who knows?

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 11th, 2024, 4:20 am

Miles Prower wrote:As someone who is a Rays fan, I agree that the new name sucks, mainly because no one knows what it's really referring to. Supposedly, it's meant to symbolize a "ray" of sunshine, but then there's still a manta ray on the sleeve. Who knows?

I heard somewhere that the reason they changed the name was because a few people took offense to the word "devil" in their name. Not sure if that's true though.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 11th, 2024, 8:52 am

Got sad thinking about the numbered days of the Oakland A's again.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 20th, 2024, 2:46 am

I really miss the Newfoundland Growlers. That was our local ECHL team that recently folded this past season due to financial difficulties and a failure to fulfill some league bylaws. A shame, as I really liked the team, the logo and the jersey. It's also a double shame because I seriously have my doubts that we'll get another pro hockey team here on The Rock anytime soon. Insert several sad faces here.....

Return to “Other Media”