Favorite Grunge Albums

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
lynchie137

Re: Favorite Grunge Albums

Postby lynchie137 » March 31st, 2024, 1:07 am

[quote="jon" And I have to acknowledge they were not playing that well.[/quote]

Well, it's pretty hard to play well live on a consistent basis when your frontman and guitar player is strung out on heroin and constantly trying to score just so he can stop feeling sick from the withdrawls. Which was a pretty big part of his life on tour the last few months of his life, unfortunately....

Van Halbgott

Postby Van Halbgott » June 16th, 2024, 11:01 am

List of grunge albums I enjoy:

1. Degradation Trip by Jerry Cantrell
2. Brighten by Jerry Cantrell
3. Boggy Depot by Jerry Cantrell
4. Rainer Fog by Alice in Chains
5. Black Gives Way to Blue by Alice in Chains
6. Dirt by Alice in Chains
7. Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains
8. Superunknown by Soundgarden
9. Core by Stone Temple Pilots
10. Ten by Pearl Jam
11. Candlebox by, well, Candlebox

These are all the albums I’ve heard from that I enjoy.

Especially on Pandora.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 16th, 2024, 11:15 am

Van Halbgott wrote:List of grunge albums I enjoy:

1. Degradation Trip by Jerry Cantrell
2. Brighten by Jerry Cantrell
3. Boggy Depot by Jerry Cantrell
4. Rainer Fog by Alice in Chains
5. Black Gives Way to Blue by Alice in Chains
6. Dirt by Alice in Chains
7. Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains
8. Superunknown by Soundgarden
9. Core by Stone Temple Pilots
10. Ten by Pearl Jam
11. Candlebox by, well, Candlebox

These are all the albums I’ve heard from that I enjoy.

Especially on Pandora.

Self titled (or Tripod) is the best AIC album

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 16th, 2024, 2:47 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Self titled (or Tripod) is the best AIC album

Absolutely their masterpiece. And nothing better illustrates the difference between real Alice in Chains (junkies wretchedly falling apart and turning it into music) and comeback Alice in Chains (sober guys trying to imitate emotions they haven't felt in decades, fronted by someone who never experienced them in the first place). "God Am" alone is worth more than all the DuVall albums combined.

Of course, I don't believe that a band needs to be destroying itself with heroin to be good or even to make dark and heavy music. But Alice in Chains is so specifically, overtly rooted in that self-destruction that "Alice in Chains" without it can only ring false. They should have pulled a New Order and moved on from the past as a different band.

jon

Postby jon » July 10th, 2024, 6:09 pm

I think the 30th anniversary edition of In Utero is finally the one that turned it into a great album for me. You get a remastered In Utero followed by the 5 or so songs like Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol which I always insisted should’ve been on the album, then live unreleased concerts.

That was the problem with In Utero. It was too short. It had this obviously different, abrasive sound, but wasn’t imo good enough to listen to it over and over just the 12 songs. So with the 30th anniversary you get 4 and a half hours of music. You get the extra few songs they always throw on there. But instead of past In Utero anniversary editions it goes straight to a full December 30th L.A. show which has to be one of their best shows ever. Then parts of concerts in Seattle and Rome and a couple songs from other concerts. It works really well now at over 4 hours.

I’m glad they didn’t just put the remixed album like the last times. The 10th and 20th anniversary editions after the In Utero and the 5 extra songs, they both went straight into a remixed version of In Utero and added Albini original mixes. It was just too much. They nailed it this 30th anniversary just going straight from remastered In Utero and the 5 extra songs right to the L.A. concert. I think they played well in L.A. Bc they enjoyed being there. And Pat Smear as the extra guitarist really adds a lot.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2024, 7:57 pm

jon wrote:I think the 30th anniversary edition of In Utero is finally the one that turned it into a great album for me. You get a remastered In Utero followed by the 5 or so songs like Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol which I always insisted should’ve been on the album, then live unreleased concerts.

That was the problem with In Utero. It was too short. It had this obviously different, abrasive sound, but wasn’t imo good enough to listen to it over and over just the 12 songs. So with the 30th anniversary you get 4 and a half hours of music. You get the extra few songs they always throw on there. But instead of past In Utero anniversary editions it goes straight to a full December 30th L.A. show which has to be one of their best shows ever. Then parts of concerts in Seattle and Rome and a couple songs from other concerts. It works really well now at over 4 hours.

I’m glad they didn’t just put the remixed album like the last times. The 10th and 20th anniversary editions after the In Utero and the 5 extra songs, they both went straight into a remixed version of In Utero and added Albini original mixes. It was just too much. They nailed it this 30th anniversary just going straight from remastered In Utero and the 5 extra songs right to the L.A. concert. I think they played well in L.A. Bc they enjoyed being there. And Pat Smear as the extra guitarist really adds a lot.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Always looking for an excuse to get a classic album on vinyl.

A few years back Stone Temple Pilots released Deluxe versions of their first three albums and I loved them.

Keep me posted on similar re-issues.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 10th, 2024, 8:52 pm

jon wrote:That was the problem with In Utero. It was too short. It had this obviously different, abrasive sound, but wasn’t imo good enough to listen to it over and over just the 12 songs.

I don't know if you read Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana, but one of the reasons In Utero may have been a little threadbare is that Kurt lost a significant number of demos and notebooks in 1992, plus two guitars, when he hid them in the bathtub while either on tour or vacation (believing that a burglar wouldn't think to look there) and the bathroom flooded with sludge.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 11th, 2024, 4:06 am

jon wrote:Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol which I always insisted should’ve been on the album

It was a hidden track on the European release. Unforgivable that the American version didn't have it.

jon

Postby jon » July 14th, 2024, 12:08 am

It’s great the In Utero 30th anniversary super deluxe. The only minor annoyance is that there’s 3 Heart Shaped Boxes. I love saying it that way haha.

But it’s fascinating looking back at it that an argument can be made that Kurt died at the absolute perfect time to capitalize off of it. I always bring up that, and I didn’t like Pearl Jam back then, but their album Vs. set a record selling something like 900,000 copies on its first week. While In Utero also debuted at #1, it only sold I think a little under 200,000. In an interview Mark Arm of Mudhoney mentioned that In Utero wasn’t doing so well until he died. Pearl Jam was I believe selling out arenas at that point in late 1993, while Nirvana depending on the city was getting around 7,000 at the most.

I remember in 1993 I was really upset that Pearl Jam was so much more popular than Nirvana Bc the only reason they were successful was Bc Nirvana paved the way for them. So In Utero in early 1994 isn’t really selling well. Then after he dies it’s like, well it’s their last album so it starts selling like hotcakes as it makes Nirvana immortal. Then in late 1994 Unplugged comes out and all of a sudden we get to where we are now where both have sold around 15 million copies.

Some of Nirvana’s concerts in Europe 1994 weren’t even selling that well I don’t think. Why? I don’t know. My brother saw them when in 1993. But maybe people like Eddie Vedder running and jumping on stage and hanging from the rafters or something.

Having said that, while Nirvana’s concerts weren’t getting as many people as you’d think, they were still a big name and Lollapalooza 1994 offered them the headlining spot for $7 million.

But I say all this to mention that really, In Utero wasn’t doing that well. I personally hated the radio songs Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies. But hey, gotta capitalize off Kurt’s death. I mean the timing was perfect. When he died everyone’s trying to get In Utero Bc it was their last album, then Unplugged also sells like hotcakes. But people forget that by late 1993 to early 1994 Pearl Jam was significantly more popular. Again, I’m not a fan of them. But people weren’t reacting well to In Utero and millions of people that loved the hits off Nevermind weren’t into it.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 14th, 2024, 8:08 am

Vs. sold massively more than In Utero in 1993 (#15 on the year-end Billboard 200 compared to #74), but the two-year-old Ten (#8) still sold more than Vs., and the effing Spin Doctors' debut (#7) sold more than Ten. The two best-selling albums that year were Whitney Houston's The Bodyguard and Kenny G's Breathless. Despite the hype about the "grunge revolution", the market was still ruled by who was the most marketable, and a friendly flannel Bono like Eddie Vedder was much easier to sell than an antisocial punk like Kurt Cobain, and the slick old Pearl Jam album with all the hits was a bigger deal than the weird new one full of repetitive jams. I agree that if Cobain hadn't turned himself into a "martyr", he and his band wouldn't have been canonized the way they were, and I think Vedder would have been the one that music writers would shower with that "voice of a generation" BS.

Edit: Also, Nirvana barely toured in 1992, which further limited their audience compared to Pearl Jam going into 1993.

Return to “Other Media”