Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby jon » June 18th, 2024, 11:56 pm

After watching Joker a few more times, I really enjoy it. Keep in mind I'm not well versed in Batman. I mainly watched it because I love Joaquin Phoenix. His brother, River, was on track to be one of the best actors ever before he died of a heroin overdose. By the way, River played rock music and it was actually pretty good.

So I think Joaquin is good too. I actually think his performance in "You Were Never Really Here" was better than in Joker. I don't know what to say about this portrayal of the Joker not being evil enough. I don't know that much about that character or Batman generally.

Another thing, is Joker has some really funny moments. The part where the kids steal his sign, and he's running as fast as he can chasing them in full clown outfit. And then a kid blindsides him with the sign. Then there's the hospital scene where he's paid to cheer up sick people and a gun falls out of his pocket.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 22nd, 2024, 6:52 pm

With summer here, I went with two fun seafaring movies from Disney, one animated one real:
"Moana" (2016) - One of my top 3 favorite animated Disney movies, and for plenty of good reasons, the title character looks terrific, is fully 3Dimensional in character, capable of fight and compassion, my favorite Disney princess, topping even Mulan and Elsa. The song "How far I'll go" will stick with you forever, though we can't forget about "You're welcome" wonderfully sung by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Maui, who's a terrific secondary character, too much fun. Lots of funny parts, though balanced off with some moments of pathos like Moana's grandmother's death hits an emotional chord like the death of Mufasa in "The Lion King". I love when Moana fights off the Kakamora single handedly with her oar and when she tames the villain to transform into a good person again.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" (2003) the first and still the best in the series, with the memorable Johnny Depp as Captain Jack, plenty of swashbuckling fun here! And who could forget Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightly, and Geoffry Rush as well? A bit long, but worth every minute, I watch it every summertime and for good reason!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 29th, 2024, 3:25 pm

Since I'm having a cool, rainy day here in my neck of the woods, decided on the 80's classic, "The Goonies", timeless all the way even when we've all moved on. Who wouldn't want to go on an adventure like these kids/teens? There are way too many humorous moments among my favorites are the legendary Truffle Shuffle, "Mom's most favorite piece", Chunk's confessions, the bonding between Chunk and Sloth ("Sloth love Chunk!"), the indirect attack on the Country Club through the pipes, and Sloth pushing up the pipes with heard hilarious results. Then there's the Rube Goldberg style traps and contraptions, and who could ever forget the bone finger piano? Sean Astin won a well deserved Young Artists Award for his performance as Mikey though I also like Data, though most go for Chunk as he steals half the show with his hilarious antics! A classic till the end of time....

"Hey you guys!"

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2024, 9:22 am

I watch Jaws every summer without fail, but it's hard to find another good shark movie. This year I tried to give Deep Blue Sea (on Blu Ray) a try, which I actually saw in the theater 25 years ago, but remember little of it.

For the first hour or so this movie is awesome. The idea of a man-made lab in the middle of the ocean with shark pens is awesome, especially with a big storm rolling in. There's an all-star cast including Stellan Skarsgard, Samual Jackson, LL Cool J, and Thomas Jane to name a few.

The special effects are a little uneven. The practical effects work well (especially the scene with the shark thrashing in the lab) but some of the CGI work looks a little fake. Lots of jump-scares though.

The last hour is about them escaping the flooding facility, and it just drags on for way too long. Still, as shark movies go this is respectable.

I believe there were several direct-to-video sequels, but from what I read on Amazon they are not worthwhile.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 30th, 2024, 7:05 pm

With July 4th not too far, decided on something slightly patriotic with some fireworks: "Superman II" better than the first in every way, even Christopher Reeve claimed this was his favorite in the series. At a reasonable length compared to the first, more character complexities including the romantic angle between Clark and Lois that doesn't feel corny like the first, and we get a real threat in the form of the three Kryptonian criminals Non, Ursa, and Zod (masterfully played by Terence Stamp). The question is can Superman handle the three and the slimy Lex Luthor? Well there is a spectacular 3 on 1 showdown in the big apple to satisfy those with a hankering for pyrotechnics, even when the Man of Steel gives the General a (humorous) taste of his own medicine! The performances of the leads are still spectacular and there's even more humor than the first.

Note: don't miss Richard Griffiths (Vernon Dursley) as one of the French Terrorists!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 30th, 2024, 8:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I watch Jaws every summer without fail, but it's hard to find another good shark movie. This year I tried to give Deep Blue Sea (on Blu Ray) a try, which I actually saw in the theater 25 years ago, but remember little of it.

For the first hour or so this movie is awesome. The idea of a man-made lab in the middle of the ocean with shark pens is awesome, especially with a big storm rolling in. There's an all-star cast including Stellan Skarsgard, Samual Jackson, LL Cool J, and Thomas Jane to name a few.

The special effects are a little uneven. The practical effects work well (especially the scene with the shark thrashing in the lab) but some of the CGI work looks a little fake. Lots of jump-scares though.

The last hour is about them escaping the flooding facility, and it just drags on for way too long. Still, as shark movies go this is respectable.

I believe there were several direct-to-video sequels, but from what I read on Amazon they are not worthwhile.

I watched it at the movies and watched it recently, it is great. The two other sequels which i have watched, they had the budget of the opening credits of the first movie. They are probably 3/10 movies.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 1st, 2024, 12:19 am

Just watched Human Highway with some friends. Neil Young's movie with Devo from 1982. Really fun and extremely stupid comedy about nuclear waste and nuclear weapons with Neil hamming it up as a clueless, monkey-like mechanic, enhanced by two great musical numbers featuring Devo. It's unfortunately brought down by some jarring racism against Arabs, which won't surprise anyone familiar with Neil's political development in the early '80s but is disappointing nonetheless. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10; it doesn't really come together, but it's worth watching for its best scenes and its general ridiculousness.

jon

Postby jon » July 1st, 2024, 9:57 pm

I’ve been watching “Life on the Line” again, a Travolta movie about the dangers of being a lineman, especially working up high on the power lines in dangerous weather. And of course is has a 0% score on rotten tomatoes. I’ll freely admit perhaps everyone having southern accents and the whole good old boy mentality of the linemen is something that may get me to like it more.

But this movie is great and must be seen. I just read that every year 70 out of 100,000 linemen die on the job. It’s right up there with logging as the most dangerous jobs. Now 70 out or 100,000 might not jump at you as dangerous, but think about it. If you went to a college football game at a sold out 100,000 capacity stadium 70 would die. I’m really hoping this movie becomes a “cult” classic in time as they always say. These movie reviewers are biased against aging stars making movies on their own terms. It’s almost like they have to give movies like this bad reviews as to not stand out.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 2nd, 2024, 12:16 am

jon wrote:These movie reviewers are biased against aging stars making movies on their own terms. It’s almost like they have to give movies like this bad reviews as to not stand out.

I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on IMDb from actual linemen who say the movie makes them look like hopeless dumbasses and gets everything about the job wrong.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 2nd, 2024, 11:41 am

jon wrote:I’ve been watching “Life on the Line” again, a Travolta movie about the dangers of being a lineman, especially working up high on the power lines in dangerous weather. And of course is has a 0% score on rotten tomatoes. I’ll freely admit perhaps everyone having southern accents and the whole good old boy mentality of the linemen is something that may get me to like it more.

But this movie is great and must be seen. I just read that every year 70 out of 100,000 linemen die on the job. It’s right up there with logging as the most dangerous jobs. Now 70 out or 100,000 might not jump at you as dangerous, but think about it. If you went to a college football game at a sold out 100,000 capacity stadium 70 would die. I’m really hoping this movie becomes a “cult” classic in time as they always say. These movie reviewers are biased against aging stars making movies on their own terms. It’s almost like they have to give movies like this bad reviews as to not stand out.

I watched half of it and gave up. Not really the best idea for making a movie. A reality tv show? Yeah I could see how that would work.

Return to “Other Media”