The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Rev

Re: The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Postby Rev » June 3rd, 2017, 11:37 am

Been a while and have seen some killer horror movies lately:

The Blackcoat's Daughter- This indie horror film was brilliant. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but if you like slow burn horror, and trying to figure out how all the pieces fit together of a film, you'd love this one. This movie takes a completely different take on concepts that are well worn out... The movie takes place from three different view points and as the film progresses you slowly gather pieces of the story that the other people didn't witness. I was wowed by this one.

The Void- Ordered this off of Amazon a few weeks ago. A pretty solid indie horror film about the strange events happening one night at a hospital. The action starts pretty quickly and doesn't seem to let go from then. The final acts kind of hurt the movie as the plot gets a little bit out there but was still an enjoyable watch.

Saw/Saw VII- I went back and watched these two horror films and was surprised by how much my tastes have changed over the last few years. I used to really enjoy the franchise but I thought the movies were pretty poorly shot and tried to cram a lot of depth into movies that were terribly put together. Not terrible but I thought they were really average. I'm a much bigger fan of the two Collector movies, made by the same people.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 4th, 2017, 9:18 pm

I've been on a tear lately picking up cult classics and other pieces of cinematic horror trash. I've finally started watching some of them. Did anyone else absolutely ADORE the House films from the 1980s? They were some of my favorites and thanks to HBO they were on ALL THE TIME. Arrow Films recently put out a collection of the two House films and if you're a fan it's well worth the money.

I go more in depth about it over at the Wolfman's Lounge.

https://wolfmanslounge.com/2017/06/04/h ... es-review/

I basically came to the conclusion that these two films are absolutely perfect for getting young kids into horror. They're just tame enough and probably only scary to 11 year olds anyways. The practical special effects still look terrific today and the video quality of the Blu Ray set is amazing.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 19th, 2017, 1:00 am

Don't Breathe: Well-made, suspenseful and unpredictable little horror movie with a vulnerable, tortured "monster". Does an excellent job of creating a character from an enclosed environment - you see every nook and cranny of it and what it could mean for the characters as they explore it further. You also have a very good idea of where everyone is at any given time, which bolsters the feeling of anticipation while cutting down on meaningless jump-scares. Reminds me in various ways of Panic Room, The People Under the Stairs and the original Halloween. Recommended.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 16th, 2017, 8:23 pm

George Romero has passed away.

He is credited with being the father of the modern zombie, with 'Romero zombies' being an adjective for dim witted relentless ghouls, moving slowly and incredibly hard to kill, requiring brain trauma.

This goes back to the seminal Night of the Living Dead, a cheap black and white film where ghouls seige a farmhouse where inside, a group of emotionally distraught strangers fend off the ghouls, each other, and cruel fate that doesn't want to give a sucker any even chance. If you have seen earlier movies like Day of the Triffids and Last Man on Earth, you can see Night of the Living Dead was a variation on that theme of collapse of society, a few fending off the mindless many, and the survivors falling into primal behaviors. Still, it touched a nerve, and Romero zombies still touch those nerves today.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 16th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Just watched The Descent yesterday and that was pretty terrifying. My wife screamed at the top of her lungs at least three times. There was a lot more to this movie than I expected. Very dark in a lot of ways.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 19th, 2017, 7:22 am

http://kotaku.com/finally-a-horror-board-game-where-you-are-the-monster-1797990547

A new board game called Monster Slaughter is coming out. Everyone is part of a group of monsters, bursting into a cabin to kill teens. Playere are competing on tne order on which those pesky amorous teens get killed off, even to the point of tossing them weapons to delay their doom.

Sounds like a fun night of dice slinging, with a cheesy movie playing on the tv.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 1st, 2017, 5:52 pm

Kind of excited to see what critics have to say about "It" which comes out next Friday. I wasn't originally eager but early press has been very positive for the film. Seen some really great horror films lately:

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil- OMG, this is probably my new favorite horror comedy. Two hillbillies being attacked by college kids who think they're after them. Hilarious and gory.

Last Shit- Saw this on Netflix and I was really impressed. Kind of like a mix between a house haunting and psychological horror. Police officer is on her first shift and it's at a haunted police station. Really well done and thought they really pulled off the horror. Some people have criticized the protagonist for not leaving the place but I thought the movie explained her motivations for staying quite well.

Backcountry- Another horror film I watched on Netflix. The main villain is a bear. I really like these types of horror films where it is set in a real life threatening situation. Kind of reminded me of Frozen, another horror film where it was set in a very believable situation.

Annabelle Creation- I was not expecting this to be good but the Conjuring series has basically turned into a Marvel universe... With 2 Annabelle films, 2 Conjurings (another on the way), and now the Nun coming out next year... I thought the first Annabelle was terrible but this one was rock solid. The only part I wasn't a big fan of was the demon, who wasn't that great. I thought it would have been creepier not showing his face, but still solid.

It Comes at Night- An unknown virus has spread across the land and while you never see much, is a strong character study on the people who are left. If you are okay with horror movies not really explaining much, but having a strong tension and really working on their characters, then this is a solid pick.

The Den- Saw this on Netflix... Nothing special and the ending was kind of stupid This was basically the same movie as Unfriended. If you didn't like that one, you probably won't like this.

Alien Covenant- I'd actually consider this horror or at least as close to horror as the Alien films ever will get. This was alright. It has nothing on the first two films but wasn't a bad entry in the series. Better than Prometheus.

The Devil's Candy- Saw this at Walmart and picked it up. This movie was great. A lot of rock music (if you're into that) and a solid story with good characters. A well done horror film all around.

Here Alone- Critics were torn on this film but I loved it. I'm always one for strong character studies and this one does a great job delivering. This is basically a zombie apocalypse film but has a very different take on the formula. Not a ton happens in this movie but it is all about the leading lady living day by day and staying alive after her family dies. The movie is definitely a slow burner but does a great job slowly giving you the details of how she ended up all alone and coming to terms with moving on.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 9th, 2017, 3:49 pm

I've been in horror movie mode since late August. Halloween is my favorite time of the year and I try to stretch it out as long as humanly possible. I've watched tons of horror movies, but here a few that have stuck out.

Get Out - I finally got a chance to see this one. I loved every second of it. Just a brilliant and well made little horror shocker. I sort of figured out what was happening fairly early on, but by the end there still some surprises I would have never saw coming. Highly recommended!

Chopping Mall - I LOVE 80s horror movies. They're usually filled with gratituious violence, nudity, non-sensical plots, amazing music, and great practical effects. Chopping Mall has all of the above and more! It's essentially a body count slasher film except the villains are evil killer robots. The soundtrack also sounds like something out of an Electronic Arts Sega Genesis game. This is a cult classic that is a must see for fans of B movies. Watch it with a crowd of people and lots of alcohol!

The Lair of the White Worm - A very strange film about a fictional Snake God being resurrected. It's total nonsense, but it has a wonderful British/Scottish charm about it. Plus the woman who plays the antagonist just really GOES FOR IT. She plays a salacious snake woman like she is trying to win an Academy Award. Not a great movie, but man...everyone is really giving it there all despite the ridiculous plot. Not for everybody, but seekers of a particular level of cinematic trash will want to give it a watch.

Child's Play - I picked up the recent complete Child's Play set on Blu Ray. I plan on making my way through all 7 films this October. The first film holds up remarkably well. It's pretty well acted (Brad Douriff is spectacular as Chucky), has a uneasy vibe to it, and the practical effects/animatronic work is incredible. Seriously, this movie is a prime example of why Hollywood should have never abandoned practical special effects. It's almost a long lost art at this point. Anyways, pretty excited to continue on to Part 2 soon!

Vampire Circus - I love me some Hammer Horror Films. Vampire Circus is one of their stranger offerings that I had never seen before. I'm glad I finally decided to watch it, because it's such a unique film. I go into more depth on this one over at The Wolfman's Lounge. Check it out:

https://wolfmanslounge.com/2017/10/07/v ... rcus-1971/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 9th, 2017, 6:54 pm

First of all I want to thank you guys for giving me a ton of horror movies to add to my Netflix list. I might being watching scary movies until Christmas this year.

It Follows (Netflix) - despite its ridiculous premise this film will scare the hell out of you. Very well made.

Hell House LLC (Amazon) - about guys making a haunted house out of a hotel that really is haunted. Uses hand-cam footage and makes you feel like you're in the thing.

I Know What You Did Last Summer - I think this is a classic on par with Scream. Watched it the other night for the first time in many years and the wife was screaming her lungs out.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 15th, 2017, 10:56 pm

I just got done posting a couple of Halloween movie guides over at the Wolfman's Lounge!

One of them is a guide on how to best approach the entire month of October (or even September if you're a horror nut like me). I think having some sort of game plan is better than just trying to wing it and watch whatever crappy offerings you can find on Netflix etc...

https://wolfmanslounge.com/2017/10/14/w ... vie-guide/

The other article is my personal must watch movies of the Halloween season. Each and every year I have around five films that, no matter what, I pop them into my blu-ray player. These all happen to be movies that take place on or around the holiday itself so they really help me get in the spooky Halloween spirit!

https://wolfmanslounge.com/2017/10/15/w ... or-movies/

Anyone else have a list of "Must Watch" films that you return to year in and year out? I'd love to hear them!

Return to “Other Media”