who agrees with dustin Hoffman..

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
nesfan

Re: who agrees with dustin Hoffman..

Postby nesfan » July 14th, 2015, 12:59 am

Tron wrote:I agree. Here's why:

1. Movie minimum is at least 90 minutes. Usually they are 2+ hours. Tv is 45 minutes. Who wants to sit that long?

2. Movies are one story unless you count sequels. Tv can do so much more character building, plot building and etc.

3. Skip commercials. Now with DVR & cheap DVDs you can watch tv commercial free. Every once in awhile someone asks me if I've watched such & such commercial. I answer, "I don't watch commercials".

4. Budgets for tv have skyrocketed. Tv & the dreaded TV movies were always considered 2nd rate. Now studios are investing big in tv & it shows.

5. Main characters die. When they die in a movie you've had a brief time period to get to know them anyway. When you see someone die that's been on the show for a whole season or two it's incredible.

6. Guest stars rule. How cool is it to see a new character that you like the actor from something else.

As I wrote this I was thinking of Walking Dead.

While I read that, I was thinking of The Walking Dead. lol

Voor

Postby Voor » July 16th, 2015, 7:18 am

I don't have cable and I watch practically no TV. I do like movies via Netflix though, and watch several per week.

I think movies are getting way over inflated but there are still some great ones out there. I recently disliked: bird man, imitation game, theory of everything, grand Budapest, boyhood. There weren't awful, just either not my style or boring to me.

But I really liked interstellar and whiplash and Jurassic world. Guardians of galaxy and avengers was great too.

I don't care about originality, and while it's cool when it happens, it's not a requirement.

One thing: what's up with movies being SO LOOONNGG now? Geez...
Last edited by Voor on July 17th, 2015, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 16th, 2015, 4:36 pm

I do agree that movies are getting a bit too overlong(to the point where i've actually been turned off from seeing films in theaters and opted to wait for DVD because I didn't feel like sitting still for that long), there are some films where i'm OK with them being two plus hours as they went by pretty quickly(Fast and Furious 7, Bad Boys 2, Transformers: Age of Extinction), but there are others i've seen felt like they could've used some serious trimming(Blackhat, Dark Knight Rises).

Return to “Other Media”