Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Vexer6

Re: Strange opinion: I think Smartphones are a bad invention.

Postby Vexer6 » July 20th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Oh there are plenty of violent cartoons made nowadays(I.E. the 2003 Ninja Turtles series, for a saturday morning cartoon, that show got away with some really dark stuff, as a kid I was shocked at how violent it got at times)

jon

Postby jon » July 20th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Although I agree kids today are cooler, smarter and more interesting. There are some developments I'm troubled by. There's this laissez-faire attitude of kids feeling they can dress or alter their appearance however they want because it's like this freedom thing. You see so many styles of dressing and doing things with their hair, honestly it can be really offputting. And then there's this whole thing with tattoos. Everyone and their mother has one these days it's ridiculous. It just reeks of insecurity and they look like someone who used to be in prison or something. Everyone's tatted up and it pisses me off. A large percentage of people I've known for a while have them, and me and one of my fellow non tattoo friends joke about how insecure they must be. And it's only getting worse with teenagers they're pretty much all going to be tatted up except preppy kids from good families and otherwise decent people who have enough pride not to stoop that low. How many people do you see with their legs covered up, it's a joke. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I'm perfectly fine with the way I look. I don't need to "enhance" my appearance to feel cool. So, yes it's great that they have freedom and don't feel like they'll get made fun of for dressing a certain way, and I'd never say it should be otherwise, but cmon, it's gotten ridiculous.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 20th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Oh also can we get back to smartphones? This thread has gotten more about things that irritate them about other generations then smartphones. I know the critic didn't want topics like this on the forum so let's keep it about the original topic. If you want to share your opinions on things that are not media related please use the pm function.

Thanks

Edit: After looking at my posts I realized that it seemed really trivial of me to post my reply and then say "No one else can talk off topic". That really wasn't what I was trying to do, so I wanted to apologize. I still stand by my post but honestly getting in the final word was not what I was trying to do. I went ahead and removed it since honestly my post was off topic as well and I should know better (no point in asking people to stay on topic if I'm not going to do it).

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 20th, 2015, 10:03 pm

One thing smartphones are not very good for is playing games, yesterday the power went out for a bit, and since the smartphone I use for an internet hotspot was fully charged, I decided to try and play the Contra game I had downloaded previously, and oh boy were the controls terrible, I don't know how people manage to play those games, it was practically impossible to do anything, I couldn't stand more then five minutes of that.

jon

Postby jon » July 20th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Yea whatever :).

Tina

Postby Tina » July 21st, 2015, 7:03 am

Ok back to smartphones, I do get surprised at how many I see at water parks, swimming holes, right near the water and of course not paying attention to your kids. Because I'm a older mommy and I don't have tech with me at these type of places, kids come right up to us and ask me to watch them do tricks or just "play" with us. I feel bad for some of them because they are competing against the smartphone and it's winning.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » January 19th, 2016, 10:16 pm

scotland wrote:
SigSauerLover wrote: Do something even remotely out of the usual and people will film you...one instance really ticked me off. there was a lady, probably in her 20's, filming me when I was getting a few of my firearms out of my car. Being filmed whenever something happens that's my business, and not theirs, really irritates me.

I hear ya. The other week some nosy neighbor was filming me just cause I was doing some yard work. I mean, so it was 2am in the moonlight...its cooler at night. I see her light go on in the window and I can see her plain as day with her phone in front of her face. If my clothes had been clean I would put down my shovel and given her a piece of my mind. Can't a guy dig a few feet down in his own backyard to check for gophers if he wants? I filled it in. I think she even filmed my house the next morning when I was cleaning the fireplace flue. No reason to wait for cold weather for that I say.

I bet she uploaded it on YouTube with some stupid title like "Crazy dirty-clothed old man searching for Gophers 2015 **GONE WRONG** ALMOST DIED."

Voor

Postby Voor » January 20th, 2016, 7:40 pm

That's interesting. I wonder where their right to film you clashes with your right to not be filmed. This topic is creeping lately with the popularity of drones.

I will say that any outdoor activity at 2am is going to raise suspicions--that's just common sense. Wouldn't have been too shocking if she had called the cops.

Smartphones. I dig mine because it has replaced:

Phone
Gps
iPod
TV in many cases
Bank
Portable gaming device
Email

I work on a PC, but I haven't turned on my computer at home in YEARS. Seriously.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » January 20th, 2016, 7:53 pm

If I ever see a drone hovering above my yard, I see it as duck hunting practice. Better grab the benelli.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Voor,
Does that mean you do all your interaction with the site via smart phone?
VGC

Return to “Other Media”