Favorite NFL Quarterbacks

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Re: Favorite NFL Quarterbacks

Postby Retrology » May 23rd, 2016, 11:40 pm

jon wrote:I've always been a sucker for quarterbacks with strong arms. I really liked Jeff George and felt he had a lot of potential. He was always on bad teams but he had a canon. Jay Cutler has a big arm but I don't think he's as smart as the greatest ones are. Having said that, I absolutely believe he's been dysfunctional teams his whole career.

I'm doing a study on deep balls from 2015, so to an extent I'm also infatuated with big arm guys.

However, give me intelligence/accuracy (obviously) over big arms. Guys like Brady and Warner weren't known for their arm strength, but they were smart/accurate, and have put up 2 of the greatest QB seasons of all time (Warner 1999, Brady 2007).

Arm strength is important, I guess, but I'd rather have a QB that doesn't have great arm strength but can play under pressure and make multiple reads. To me, missing all those traits but having arm strength is essentially being a one trick pony, and those QBs eventually get weeded out.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 24th, 2016, 11:14 am

Retrology wrote:However, give me intelligence/accuracy (obviously) over big arms. Guys like Brady and Warner weren't known for their arm strength, but they were smart/accurate, and have put up 2 of the greatest QB seasons of all time (Warner 1999, Brady 2007).

Arm strength is important, I guess, but I'd rather have a QB that doesn't have great arm strength but can play under pressure and make multiple reads. To me, missing all those traits but having arm strength is essentially being a one trick pony, and those QBs eventually get weeded out.

"I don't throw darts at balloons, I throw balloons at darts" - Joe Montana

jon

Postby jon » May 25th, 2016, 12:47 am

Kurt Warner had a strong arm. Me personally, I get bored watching game managers run lame offenses, even if they win. I want to know that the quarterback is capable of throwing a 60 yard dart to a receiver running in stride. Or at the least consistently throw the ball down the field.

Return to “Other Media”