Dogs

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Herschie

Dogs

Postby Herschie » July 1st, 2016, 9:34 am

Seriously, who in their right mind would ever want one of these things? Always crapping, piddling, and puking everywhere! Unless you want to spend your time and/or money to train then. Vet bills and food cost a fortune. Makes it ten times harder finding an apartment, and then when you do, you usually have to pay a pet fee. Not to mention that the place tends to have other dogs, and you tend to be one of the few who cleans up after them. Then when it's blazing hot, pouring rain, ten below zero, they have to go out. Especially annoying when all you want to do is go to sleep! They're a liability if they bite someone. Neighbors complain about barking. Your house smells, your furniture smells! Dog hair everywhere. If there's one thing I hate it's cleaning, and I especially hate anything that increases the amount of cleaning I must do.

I could go on and on. Truth be told, I have a pug and a Maltese/Chihuahua mix that my wife had before we got married. I love those dogs (The pug more than the other little rat), but I don't think I ever want to get another one.

Rev

Re: Dogs

Postby Rev » July 10th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Well... people with pets tend to be happier overall then people who don't have them...Still, I don't have a dog right now for one main reason- they require a lot of time investment and if you don't have the time you're doing your dog a disservice. I refuse to get a dog while I still live in apartments. Maybe one day but you're absolutely correct that they require a huge investment and that's something I really don't want/need right now.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 12th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Yeah. I love those dogs, honestly. I just had to vent. My wife was babysitting her grandma's dog, and this stupid thing was piddling all over the house. Also, she's not spayed, and so my horny little pug was going crazy the whole time. I suppose I can't blame him, I'd be getting a little antsy too if I had a naked woman parading around me for two days.

I like the idea of less chores. Dogs would be more chores.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 13th, 2016, 5:04 pm

We researched the crap out of dogs before finally getting one four years ago.

I wanted a Golden Retriever. She didn't want one that shed.

We got a mini-Goldendoodle. He's part golden retriever and part poodle. He doesn't shed, he's super smart, and he comes up to about my knee.

He was expensive but he looks super cool. And I got to name him, Guinness!

I mean, c'mon that's a pretty kick ass name. I worked on training about an hour a night for a few months. He's a great dog. I even taught him to catch Frisbees.

On the downside, he's terrible on walks, rarely heels if there's another dog he can lunge at, barks like crazy when the garage door opens, wakes the baby, pukes for no reason, only eats expensive prescription dog food.

But on the plus side, he's my dog, loves me unconditionally, and overall is awesome. So, as much as I hate him waking up in the middle of the night for no reason to bark, puke, or have runny poo, I'll keep him.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 14th, 2016, 8:10 pm

I got a shih tzu about a month ago. I've always wanted a great dane, but that's obviously not an option while I'm living in an apartment complex with a 14 lbs weight limit, lol. Anyway, I got her off Craigslist from a family who worried she wasn't happy living in a home with three kids and a much bigger dog. She's three years old. Her name was Paisley, but that didn't work for me so I renamed her Mitzi. She's a great little dog. She doesn't need a ton of exercise, but she loves being with me. And she's soft and floofy, haha! I like her :D

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 14th, 2016, 9:04 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I got a shih tzu about a month ago.

haha, she looks like an ewok! cute

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 15th, 2016, 10:23 am

That's what everyone tells me when they see her, haha! I actually considered naming her that, but decided that sounded more like a boy dog's name. Mitzi fits better, I think.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 15th, 2016, 11:49 am

I'm noticing the trend of "I wanted a big dog but [story] ...now I have this little dog". Is this a familiar pattern?

Tron

Postby Tron » July 16th, 2016, 2:28 pm

I love dogs, but not in my house. My wife and kids want a dog. I've said no a 1000x. Eventually my wife will catch me in a good mood or tired or non-coherent & I'll accidentally say "ok". Then the next day before I can correct myself I'll be the new caregiver for a dog.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 16th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Tron wrote:I love dogs, but not in my house. My wife and kids want a dog. I've said no a 1000x. Eventually my wife will catch me in a good mood or tired or non-coherent & I'll accidentally say "ok". Then the next day before I can correct myself I'll be the new caregiver for a dog.

Well-put. I always said that I like other people's dogs (Although that's hanging on by a thread with all these stupid yappers and dog doo everywhere).

scotland wrote:I'm noticing the trend of "I wanted a big dog but [story] ...now I have this little dog". Is this a familiar pattern?

Oh, yes. I definitely like big dogs better. My wife had smaller dogs when we got married. I love the pug, the smaller one...eh. She craps everywhere and our couch still smells like puke. Anyway, here they are:

Image My pug is the hungriest creature I have ever met. He'd try to swim through lava if he thought that there was a steak on the other side. He also gets annoyed when I talk during the Cubs game:

Believe it or not, he likes the cold much better than the heat:

Return to “Other Media”