Do not watch Ghostbusters 2016!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Stalvern

Re: Do not watch Ghostbusters 2016!

Postby Stalvern » November 2nd, 2016, 12:43 pm

Tron wrote:My girls mentioned this movie as we watched the originals together. I think having a female cast appealed to them which is great. So I saw a poster for the film and noticed that none of the ladies were hot. I'm not saying they all needed to be attractive, but at least one out of four is necessary. I need some eye candy. So we haven't watched it.

What? Really? That's honestly pretty terrible of you.

velcrozombie wrote:I'd be willing to check the new movie out if a friend or family member wanted to watch it, but I don't care enough otherwise. I adored The Real Ghostbusters cartoon as a child, but I've only seen the first half-hour of the original movie (which I want to go back to) and didn't think much of the sequel (although I was probably only eight when I saw it). Around the time the remakewas coming out I seen a couple of different commentators taking about how the franchise was now tarnished; is one good movie with an inferior sequel and two good seasons of a cartoon that were later spun off into a bunch of garbage much of a legacy to ruin in the first place?

The first movie is a genuine classic and where the "legacy" actually is; anyone who talks about damage to a "franchise" is puffing things up to sell their point. But that movie is seriously great; the idea that it needed to be redone is insulting, and I don't blame anyone for their reaction to that.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 2nd, 2016, 1:50 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Tron wrote:My girls mentioned this movie as we watched the originals together. I think having a female cast appealed to them which is great. So I saw a poster for the film and noticed that none of the ladies were hot. I'm not saying they all needed to be attractive, but at least one out of four is necessary. I need some eye candy. So we haven't watched it.

Why don't you just explain to your daughters that the women in the movie aren't attractive enough to look at for two hours? I'm sure they'll understand, not to mention that they'll learn a valuable lesson about life!

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » November 2nd, 2016, 3:15 pm

Ghostbusters 3 was probably the last movie that had been stuck in development hell for years that I wanted to see. I was never expecting anything good, especially after horrible Alien vs Predator was I no longer look forward to movies, but I think most of the fans of the franchise wanted some kind of connection to the originals. Instead everything about the trailers just looked like a cheap cash grab with bad jokes and cgi that looked worse than the 80's films. I mean I swear I've seen the joke where someone jumps in the mosh pit only to have the crowd move in about a dozen other films.

Oh well. Mainstream movies have gotten pretty bad and TV surpassed it years ago. I'm about to watch season two of Rick and Morty for the first time. Season one was likely way better than Ghostbusters 3 would have ever been.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 2nd, 2016, 3:44 pm

This site is now officially no better than the rest of the internet.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » November 2nd, 2016, 4:13 pm

If nothing else, I think this is a fairly good cautionary tale for Hollywood to take into consideration:

Reboots are not guaranteed to get good reviews.

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't bad because of its gender-flipped cast. It was bad because the jokes had zero percent of the wit and memorability of the first or even the second movie and the references to said movies felt more cringeworthy and shoehorned than anything else.

Would it have gotten less flak if it weren't called Ghostbusters? Possibly, but it definitely wouldn't have made as much money or have gotten as much attention.

Oh well, everyone will have forgotten about it by this time next year anyway, so it's all good.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 2nd, 2016, 5:00 pm

I like the director and I like the cast, but when the called the GB fans A$$ holes and 40 year old basement dwellers, I decided not to give them any of my money. Dont know if its good or bad, just decided not to support it based on principal.

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » November 2nd, 2016, 7:45 pm

This site is now officially no better than the rest of the internet.

I think Tron was joking, at least I think he was.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 2nd, 2016, 10:17 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
Stalvern wrote:

Why don't you just explain to your daughters that the women in the movie aren't attractive enough to look at for two hours? I'm sure they'll understand, not to mention that they'll learn a valuable lesson about life!

Ha, ha that's funny. I figured I'd catch some flak for that. Actually I think average looking women are much more attractive than super model hotties. I think it has something to do with approachability and that we as humans tend to gravitate towards similiar-like people. I'm a fairly average looking dude. After seeing pictures of these women I think they are well below average looking and fall more into the unattractive range. They look rather frumpy & lack sex appeal.

I don't believe in giving merit to the false pretense that looks are unimportant. Sure it would be nice if people were attracted to personality. Sure it would be nice if people were more interested in "Its the inside that counts and not the outside", but it's simply not true. Attractive people tend to be with attractive people and unattractive people tend to be with unattractive people. The only exception is when one of the two has money.

Perhaps ironically I do want my daughters to be conscientious of their appearance. I hope that they will be able to use their looks to their advantage. That doesn't mean I want them to be promiscuous or to dress like skanks. That also doesn't mean I want them to be gold diggers, but women have a huge advantage over men when it comes to sexuality. I see using your feminism with confidence, taste and dignity as a strength and not a weakness. You may be surprised to read that I'm actually a feminist, but it's true. I could perhaps surprise you all even more by telling you which presidential candidate I'm voting for, but I won't since the Critic has asked us not to discuss politics.

So I don't need an attractive woman to still enjoy and watch a movie. I love Ghostbusters and Sigorney Weaver starred in it. Ha, ha, not-nice little jab huh? Actually now that I think about it I thought the Ghostbusters secretary was pretty hot though.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 2nd, 2016, 10:49 pm

Okay all this conversation is getting a lil deep for a game luvers site! Let's get back to basics, although I think everyone enjoys a good die hard opine about games.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 3rd, 2016, 12:40 am

@Tron

I won't clutter up this thread with anything else after this. I actually felt that my reply was a bit smarmy and self-righteous despite the sincerity of it and it gnawed at me. I can appreciate your willingness to explain yourself, even if parts of that explanation have shown me that we are even farther apart as people then I would have previously believed. If you want to talk beyond this you can PM me or I can contact you the same way.

Return to “Other Media”