Beautiful/emotional songs that were popular during your childhood

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
astrodomekid

Beautiful/emotional songs that were popular during your childhood

Postby astrodomekid » January 15th, 2017, 1:14 am

With a laundry list of s****y dance-pop songs polluting the airwaves these days, I've been looking back on songs that were popular during my childhood back in the early 2000's (when this website was still fairly new). After looking back on more upbeat songs that I liked back then (from *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc.), I began to revisit some of the softer songs that left an impact on me. Here's a short list of them:

Backstreet Boys - "I Want It That Way"
Coldplay - "Clocks"
Coldplay - "Speed of Sound"
Evanescence - "My Immortal"
Griffin House - "Lay Down In Your Fields"
Matchbox Twenty - "If You're Gone"
Matchbox Twenty - "Unwell"
*NSYNC - "This I Promise You"
Train - "Calling All Angels"
Usher - "U Got it Bad"

Which sad or otherwise emotionally moving songs that were popular during your childhood left an impact on your life?

Steve

Re: Beautiful/emotional songs that were popular during your childhood

Postby Steve » January 15th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Cat's in the Cradle (1975) by Harry Chapin will always be one of the most emotional songs ever written. Also, Us and Them (1973) by Pink Floyd. I feel old now.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » January 16th, 2017, 2:07 am

One Headlight by the Wallflowers is a perfect example. I remember listening to it in my dad's car all the time back in the 90s. Really sad and haunting but at the same time optimistic. Was a massive success at the time and I think it's one of the best pop songs ever written.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 16th, 2017, 12:15 pm

"Time after Time" by Cyndi Lauper still chokes me up sometimes.

"Everybody Wants to Rule This World" by Tears for Fears - a great example of a song juxtaposing upbeat music with haunting lyrics.

A lot of REM songs could probably fit this description - "Losing My Religion", "The One I Love", "Fall on Me", "Drive", "Nightswimming"...

"Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails, first the original when I was still in grade school and then again in college when Johnny Cash covered it. The NIN version is great but the Johnny Cash version takes the song to an entirely different level, especially when combined with the music video.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » January 16th, 2017, 2:23 pm

I wasn't really listening to much music as a kid. Was bigger on the sport talk radio (wknr in Cleveland had it 24-7 before Espn got into the radio business). That being said I still vividly remember Sweet Dreams by the Eurhythmics as a little kid and feel it could fall into this category. Later on in middle school/high school I would think of something more like Live's "I Alone", "Lightning Crashes", or "When Dolphins Cry". Pearl Jam also did a great remake of "Where Oh Where Can My Baby Be" which was rather melancholy.

Return to “Other Media”