New Music Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Re: New Music Thread

Postby velcrozombie » April 29th, 2019, 11:30 am

jon wrote:I heard the new wormrot album it somehow was released a couple years ago but it’s amazing better than their first 2 in my opinion. There has to be some good metal coming out lately death metal perhaps

Yeah, the new Wormrot was great. It's just accessible enough that I'd give it to someone who'd never listened to grindcore before as a decent starting point.

I haven't been listening to a lot of newer music since I'm usually trying to check up on older stuff I've never heard before or never gave the proper attention (the Residents are an amazingly bizarre band I never bothered with in the past and now I'm starting from the beginning with them) or I'm "studying up" for concerts (just got tickets for ZZ-Top/Cheap Trick so now I'll go back and hear all the stuff I've missed from both bands).

There are a few exceptions, though. The new Voivod album "The Wake" feels like a return to form on the level of their late-80s - 90s stuff but the new guitarist has enough of his own style that it's not just a rehash. The new Daughters album "You Won't Get What You Want" is a real change of pace for them (a lot of longer, slower songs heavy on atmosphere and repetition compared to their grindcore/noisecore past) but it's been probably my most-played record of the last 6 months or so. I also really like the new Zeal & Ardor record "Stranger Fruit" (another band I'm seeing live soon) - the blend of black metal with blues and spirituals is fresh and different, even if I wish the metal parts were more complex and there was more variety in the song structures. The last Cannibal Corpse album was quality but I'm still trying to figure out what I think of the new Pig Destroyer album - "Prowler in the Yard" and "Terrifyer" are difficult to live up to and the addition of a bass player takes away one of the things that helped make them unique. Also good are the new Bone Sickness (crust-grind), Oxbow (somewhere between blues, prog, post-punk and metal) and Microwaves (prog/math meets Jesus Lizard noise-rock with sci-fi themes) albums.

Stalvern wrote:Plenty of it! I recommend following the reviews at Angry Metal Guy if you want to keep up with new releases. Excellent critics, a strong sense of community, and none of the BS clogging up bigger sites like Blabbermouth and MetalSucks.

Thanks for the site. I usually end up looking through end-of-the-year lists or comment sections on metal reviews for suggestions rather than go to the bigger sites but these guys seem worthwhile.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2019, 11:47 am

velcrozombie wrote:The new Voivod album "The Wake" feels like a return to form on the level of their late-80s - 90s stuff but the new guitarist has enough of his own style that it's not just a rehash.

You weren't a fan of Target Earth?

velcrozombie wrote:Thanks for the site. I usually end up looking through end-of-the-year lists or comment sections on metal reviews for suggestions rather than go to the bigger sites but these guys seem worthwhile.

They have very, very good year-end lists there, individually contributed by each critic.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 29th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Stalvern wrote:You weren't a fan of Target Earth?

Haven't heard it yet. The last Voivod album I listened to before this was the self-titled album from 2003 and at the time I was very underwhelmed, so I just just listened to the period from Killing Technology to The Outer Limits for years afterwards. I didn't even listen to the first two albums until last year - I enjoyed them well enough that I figured I'd see what they'd been up to lately. I'll check it out and then give the 2000s stuff another chance.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2019, 3:30 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Haven't heard it yet. The last Voivod album I listened to before this was the self-titled album from 2003 and at the time I was very underwhelmed, so I just just listened to the period from Killing Technology to The Outer Limits for years afterwards. I didn't even listen to the first two albums until last year - I enjoyed them well enough that I figured I'd see what they'd been up to lately. I'll check it out and then give the 2000s stuff another chance.

Target Earth is the one where they went back to their classic style after the Jason Newsted/Jasonic albums. It's the first one with Chewy, and it also has Blacky during his brief reunion with the band. The Wake is more a continuation of it than any kind of return to form. I actually like Target Earth a bit more; it's more diverse and has a hint of the spacy atmosphere of The Outer Limits.

Of the Jasonic period, Voïvod is the most ordinary and un-Voïvod-like, despite the name. Katorz is easily that lineup's peak and would be a better place to go next. (As for Infini, it sounds like a heavier, less straightforward version of the 2003 album. Snake yells some of the songs in a growly voice that sounds like Lemmy or Jaz Coleman after the Killing Joke comeback, which alone makes the album worth hearing.)

Return to “Other Media”