Ray Harryhausen (And Stop-Mo in General.)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Stalvern

Re: Ray Harryhausen (And Stop-Mo in General.)

Postby Stalvern » August 28th, 2017, 12:53 am

pacman000 wrote:Phil Tippet talks about a movie he's been working on for the past 30yrs. There's some interesting time lapse footage of him working on the animation; you can see the characters moving naturally with Tippet and other animators buzzing around them in fast motion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLKxoo9hO84

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. How did I not know about this before?!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2017, 8:54 pm

When is this coming out?

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 29th, 2017, 11:18 pm

As I understand it, part of Mad God has been released. Where you can get it, I know not.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 30th, 2017, 12:01 am

Parts 1 and 2 are available for purchase at the movie's website. I'm going to hold out until Part 3 myself, so I can watch them in one go instead of waiting after the first two.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » September 6th, 2017, 11:29 am

Thank you Stalvern!

Here's an interview with Tippet, from Cinefex: http://cinefex.com/blog/phil-tippett-talks-mad-god/

Gives a good history of the project. He started working on it (and other projects) in the early 90's, stopped because no one would fund it, and because CG took over.
One of the projects was Mad God. I’d shot about six minutes worth of film on 35mm, but the project had got too big, and around that time the digital revolution hit, so I had to completely re-gear how I thought about things. Then, about three or four years ago, some of the guys at my studio – including Chris Morley and Randy Link – saw me archiving all this ancient Mad God material. They were really excited and relaunched the project.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » September 28th, 2017, 11:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOx4G_fwTDU

Fairly funny stop motion short from the 30's.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 24th, 2017, 1:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJRaLnLDMWg

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Keep waiting...

There! I told you it was worth it!

scotland

Postby scotland » October 24th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Astounding how well that dragon holds up. Not so much the little baby dragons, but mama dragon is everything we hoped a dragon like Smaug would be like. Its ILM doing what it did well in the 1980s.

Its a shame this movie just didn't do so well. It often the movie pointed at why the fantasy genre was pushed back down into B movies like The Sword and the Sorceror and further down like Deathstalker. Its not a bad movie, its just not a good one - the pacing is too slow, the characters - good and bad- are pretty flat and dull and you really start cheering for the dragon after awhile, the dialogue track seems like it was done in post production cheaply, there is no interesting B plot, even the nudity is pretty PG, etc.

Its odd this is an American movie, because it feels more like a British movie. Its even a Disney movie, in that brief time when, along with The Black Hole, they had lost faith in both animation and live action comedy and were trying live action fantasy movies (they would soon create Touchstone Pictures to keep the Disney brand more family friendly).

Return to “Other Media”