Best 90's Grunge songs *not* featured in GTA: San Andreas (besides Nirvana)?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
astrodomekid

Best 90's Grunge songs *not* featured in GTA: San Andreas (besides Nirvana)?

Postby astrodomekid » September 15th, 2017, 7:21 pm

I think I'm starting to fall for the Grunge subgenre of rock that was popular in the early 90's. I've had Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) since my 16th birthday back in 2010, but only recently did I buy most of the grunge songs heard on "Radio X" on iTunes. And now I'm craving more. Obviously, I'm already familiar with Nirvana as well as the impact they had on rock and the music industry as a whole. In fact, I even brought myself to buying their historic "Nevermind" album on CD a few weeks back, and I look forward to finding it on vinyl soon. So besides songs from them and the ones that were heard in San Andreas, which 90's Grunge songs would you recommend?

P.S. I really think Radio X should have included "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That would have been epic!

Stalvern

Re: Best 90's Grunge songs *not* featured in GTA: San Andreas (besides Nirvana)?

Postby Stalvern » September 18th, 2017, 9:07 am

I saw this thread for a bit, but then it disappeared! I was wondering why the mods would bother to delete it, but I guess you were just editing the post. :lol: It's a little silly to make it so specific when there are only about five (and that's being generous) grunge songs in that game, though.

I'll be recommending albums, because that's how you listen to music that you care about, but I'll link to sample songs for each album.

First, Screaming Trees was the best grunge band. Get their three major-label albums (Sweet Oblivion is probably where you'll want to start) and Invisible Lantern.

If you want badass bastard rip-your-head-off grunge straight out of the original underground scene, get 8-Way Santa and Inhaler (better sound quality here), by Tad.

(If you're really serious, try Bullhead or Houdini, by the Melvins.)

The 3DO Road Rash's soundtrack has a couple of underdog grunge bands that never made it big, and I have a soft spot for them: Hammerbox and Paw (better sound quality here). I recommend both bands' 1993 albums, although that might just be bias from hearing them first in the game.

San Andreas has a song from Badmotorfinger (which you should get), but it doesn't have the best one, which is also the best song that Soungarden ever had. Same with Dirt and the best song on that album. (The best Alice in Chains song is on the Jar of Flies EP.)

Finally, I know that this is breaking one of your rules, but Incesticide is Nirvana at their most interesting. Don't get Nevermind without getting it too. (And hey, why not pick up Bleach and In Utero while you're at it?)

On the chance that you're looking for early-'90s alternative/indie rock in general and not just grunge, here are some recommendations in that vein:

Beck - Mellow Gold
Belly - Star
Blind Melon - Soup (they were a much, much better band than "No Rain" got them stereotyped as being)
Butthole Surfers - Independent Worm Saloon
Cop Shoot Cop - Ask Questions Later
Cows - Cunning Stunts
Dazzling Killmen - Face of Collapse
Deconstruction - Deconstruction (Jane's Addiction is in San Andreas, but this cool project by the bassist isn't)
Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind
Faith No More - Angel Dust (San Andreas has a song from this, but it's such a great album that I can't care)
The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic (take this as a recommendation for every '90s Flaming Lips album)
Guided by Voices - Alien Lanes
The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Madder Rose - Bring It Down
Medicine - The Buried Life (full-length version with better sound quality here)
Mercury Rev - Boces
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Pixies - Bossanova (the least popular of the original four, but it's my favorite)
Polvo - Today's Active Lifestyles (better sound quality here)
Primus - Pork Soda (uncensored version here)
Prong - Prove You Wrong
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (this and Pisces Iscariot are the only Smashing Pumpkins that I can stand)
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
Tar - Jackson
Throwing Muses - The Real Ramona
The Tragically Hip - Day for Night (better sound quality here)
Yo la Tengo - Painful

scotland

Re: Best 90's Grunge songs *not* featured in GTA: San Andreas (besides Nirvana)?

Postby scotland » September 18th, 2017, 10:31 am

Stalvern wrote:I saw this thread for a bit, but then it disappeared! I was wondering why the mods would bother to delete it, but I guess you were just editing the post.

If you notice something odd about posts disappearing, let the mods know.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 18th, 2017, 11:21 am

scotland wrote:If you notice something odd about posts disappearing, let the mods know.

It isn't odd at all; it's part of how the forum is set up. They don't appear while pending approval, which includes edits as well as new posts.

Return to “Other Media”