Anyone exercise?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Atarifever

Anyone exercise?

Postby Atarifever » December 16th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Likely not the most popular topic in a videogame forum, I know. :) Still, I'm wondering if anyone else is into any particular routine or form of exercise or sport to stay in shape.

If anyone is looking for a super geeky way to exercise, I'm 7 months into a "One Punch Man" routine. If anyone doesn't know what it is, it's a routine that comes from the anime "One Punch Man." That character is basically the superman on his world (power wise, not personality), and every fight, no matter with who, basically ends in one punch, so he's pretty bored and a bit of a slacker. In one episode (and in the manga before that) he gives out his training routine that made him so strong, and the joke is, it's not nearly enough to make you any kind of super powered. However, it is kind of intensive.

His routine is:
100 sit ups
100 push ups
100 squats
10K run
Every. Single. Day. Forever.

Anyway, I saw the episode and thought, "is that possible, and could I do it." I did some online reading, and apparently a lot of fitness guys got asked that question, and came up with some good modifications so you don't miss much and don't destroy your knees. I made another modification of my own, and am now 7 straight months in with maybe 3 missed days of parts of the routine, and no entirely missed days at all.

Mine is currently:
100 pushups
100 partial (safer) situps
100 squats
2 minutes of fitness ball "alphabets"
20 pull ups
40 light curls

For cardio, instead of a 10K run, I do
3 days working on my 5K speed on treadmill (I'm at under 20 minutes!)
3 days on workout bike for 10K
1 day off

If you're looking for a good workout you can do with minimal equipment, and that doesn't require too much adjusting or wondering what to do next, or what to do each day, I really like this one. Most importantly, if you are like me and have pretty good willpower, and the only thing that ends most of your fitness plans is fitting different things into different days, at different times, this one takes care of itself. "What do I do today," "what adjustments do I make," "when do I break and how many sets?" and other questions never come into play. If you have the willpower, you just set this one and forget it. Rinse and repeat every. Single. Day. Forever.

Also, buy whey protein powder. It's pretty good.

OzGamer

Re: Anyone exercise?

Postby OzGamer » December 16th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Thanks for this timely post. My preferred exercise is swimming but I've just purchased a pool and gym membership today. I'm looking for gym routines at the moment. This one looks good but perhaps I'll skip the sit-ups.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 16th, 2017, 8:54 pm

I bike a lot, but that's about it. My body could best be described as "underwhelming".

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 16th, 2017, 10:07 pm

OzGamer wrote:Thanks for this timely post. My preferred exercise is swimming but I've just purchased a pool and gym membership today. I'm looking for gym routines at the moment. This one looks good but perhaps I'll skip the sit-ups.

I have a membership to the local YMCA. It has an indoor track, pool, weight and cardio room, gymnasium, steam room, and child-minding as part of the membership. Best of all, it's a 1 minute walk from my office, so I make it there every lunchtime. I will say this, once you get through about 3 months of going to the gym every day, you start to feel really off on the days you miss. It gets easier to make it there, and harder to convince yourself to miss, the more you go. It also helps if you "reduce friction" by making sure your gym bag is packed and ready and in your car every night.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 17th, 2017, 8:56 am

Nice topic. I need to exercise, but I hate gyms and all the equipment. I much prefer to get fit using “natural” techniques.* I’m going to try some of those things and work up to the full routine.

Question: WHEN do you do this? For me, the only time that is consistently available is 5am (everyone else gets up at 6), and some days it’s hard to do.

My “exercise “ at the moment is walking the dogs each day, and taking the long way to meetings at work to get more steps in. Pitiful.

*if I had the ability to participate in a team sport (basketball, soccer, volleyball ), I would do this as much as I could. I hate every second of exercising, but ill play sports until I pass out. Maybe there’s a solo sport I can do at home? Probably doesn’t exist...

ESauce

Postby ESauce » December 17th, 2017, 9:22 am

Voor wrote:
*if I had the ability to participate in a team sport (basketball, soccer, volleyball ), I would do this as much as I could. I hate every second of exercising, but ill play sports until I pass out. Maybe there’s a solo sport I can do at home? Probably doesn’t exist...

There are a lot of sports leagues, at least in bigger cities where you can sign up for any of those sports. If you don’t have enough people to make a team you can sign up alone usually and they make a team.

My problem is that I also like team sports but I’ve also got really bad anxiety when people start getting super competitive. I just want a league where people want to have a good time and get their hearts moving but everyone in these leagues is always way too into it.

So I just end up walking/jogging and doing solo workouts

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 17th, 2017, 10:19 am

Bending my right elbow during the holidays........

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 17th, 2017, 10:42 am

I started working out again about 4 years ago, and it's become a passion of mine. I typically work out at the Y near my house after work for about 45-60 minutes, 5-6 days a week. I started off in my garage with just some push up bars, an exercise ball, some dumbbells (who you callin' a dumbbell?!?) and a pull-up bar. Did that for about a year then joined the Y.

I'm really big on weighted exercises. I start off with 10-12 pull-ups, then attach a weight-belt with a chain, put 45 lbs on it, do 6-7 reps, then 70 lbs and 4-5 reps, then 90 lbs and 2 reps. For tricep dips, I do 15-20 reps, then 45 lbs weighted and 10 reps, 90 lbs and 7 reps, then 135 lbs and 4-5 reps. These weighted exercises have really helped increase my strength.

I've gotten away from cardio over the summer, but plan on starting up again. I like to run and hiking. We have some beautiful trails within walking distance of my house, so I like to take our dog for a hike, and my wife often joins us.

Also, I have a strong core and do a ton of abs and lower back exercises. When I was in my 20's, I worked out a lot, but didn't work out my core much. As a result I ended up with a bad back. An instructor at my Y said that our spine is like an accordion, and as you gain muscle from working out, you need a strong core to support the spine. I'm very fortunate that I hardly have any back issues anymore.

And of course, diet is extremely important. You can work out your abs as much as you want but if you don't have good eating habits, you'll never have a six-pack. I only have a four-pack because I like beer and wine too much.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 17th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:I started working out again about 4 years ago, and it's become a passion of mine. I typically work out at the Y near my house after work for about 45-60 minutes, 5-6 days a week. I started off in my garage with just some push up bars, an exercise ball, some dumbbells (who you callin' a dumbbell?!?) and a pull-up bar. Did that for about a year then joined the Y.

I'm really big on weighted exercises. I start off with 10-12 pull-ups, then attach a weight-belt with a chain, put 45 lbs on it, do 6-7 reps, then 70 lbs and 4-5 reps, then 90 lbs and 2 reps. For tricep dips, I do 15-20 reps, then 45 lbs weighted and 10 reps, 90 lbs and 7 reps, then 135 lbs and 4-5 reps. These weighted exercises have really helped increase my strength.

That's a lot of pull-ups. I am still finding these hard just using my own bodyweight (but am proud I can actually do them now at least; the first few months I could barely move up). Tricep dips would be cool to add to my schedule. That sounds like a great routine.

At the start of my current routine, I had a lot of neck pain, but it went away from focusing in on form for while, and obviously building up the muscles I'm using that were really weak.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 17th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Voor wrote:
Question: WHEN do you do this? For me, the only time that is consistently available is 5am (everyone else gets up at 6), and some days it’s hard to do.

My oldest son gets up at 6:00AM and my youngest and my wife get up at 7:00AM. I spend some time with my oldest at 6:00, then fit the non-cardio part of my workout in the time between then and 7:00AM. Then I do the cardio portion at the YMCA on lunch break. I'm lucky in that the Y is next to work, and I live and work in a small town so my morning commute to work is from 8:20AM to about 8:28AM.

One piece of advice I am starting to use is to not begin with pushups when starting that early. Someone told me to warm up my arms with something less horrible first (some curls or even the fitness ball alphabets), and that makes the pushups a lot easier to do a few minutes later. I used to jump into those first thing and it makes starting the workout a bit of a chore. I think your arms really need a warmup before pushups or pullups.

Return to “Other Media”