Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 11890
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2018, 2:37 pm

I saw this the other night and I liked it. Not great, but at least a B.
I like how they stayed true to the cannon and incorporated a lot of old characters.
The only one I wasn't sure about was Darth Maul. Wasn't he supposed to be dead?

What I'm afraid is that due to poor box office Solo will be regarded as a failure.
I don't think it deserves that. If anything, the mediocre Last Jedi (which gets worse with repeat viewings) probably tarnished people's enthusiasm for the series. Also, why did they rush it out just 5 months after the last movie??

ActRaiser
Posts: 597
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby ActRaiser » June 8th, 2018, 3:20 pm

I really liked it as well.

I had to look up the Darth Maul stuff. In the extended universe he lived and has robotic legs. Pretty cool.

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 998
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 8th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Yeah, in the Clone Wars and Rebels tv series (which are still considered canon) he comes back and ends up getting killed by old Obi Wan on Tatooine. Not sure what they're planning now. Is this just a once off, or are they building up to other movies? If it's the latter, they might have to de-canonize the tv series.

But yeah, I really didn't like TLJ, but I enjoyed Solo. I took my mom to see it as a late Mother's Day present, and good thing too because I probably would have skipped it otherwise.

User avatar
Atarifever
Posts: 461
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 5:55 am

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby Atarifever » June 10th, 2018, 8:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What I'm afraid is that due to poor box office Solo will be regarded as a failure.
I don't think it deserves that. If anything, the mediocre Last Jedi (which gets worse with repeat viewings) probably tarnished people's enthusiasm for the series. Also, why did they rush it out just 5 months after the last movie??


Without getting into the weeds (and I could, so I'm mostly trying to stay away from Star Wars topics), why does everyone think that 5 month thing is relevant? Thor Ragnarok came out in October 2017, Black Panther came out in February 2018, and Infinity War came out on April 23, 2018. Another Marvel movie (from another film company) came out in May 2018 with Deadpool 2. All have been blockbusters. The last two are blockbusters around each other and with Star Wars in the theatre with them. The five month thing means nothing. People will watch 2 good Star Wars movies in 5 months, no problem.

These are not good Star Wars movies. These are bad movies or uninspired movies. Star Wars fatigue is made up to cover for the movies being garbage. Marvel fatigue is not a thing. DC comic movie fatigue is not even a thing, and those are not generally nearly as good as Marvel movies. Pixar movie fatigue is not a thing. Bland and bad movie fatigue has always been a thing.

In 20 years, you will not be able to find one (not one) defender of either The Last Jedi or Solo. These are not timeless classics. These are Star Wars by committee, and the committee is exclusively made up of people who don't like Star Wars. If you believe Solo is a B, watch it again in six months, then again in 2 years. If you end up above a C I will be shocked. That is still way better than TLJ, which is about 20 years away from being viewed as one of the main cautionary tales in all of the history of cinema.

ESauce
Posts: 444
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby ESauce » June 11th, 2018, 12:18 am

The Last Jedi was probably the best Star Wars movie ever made and With repeat viewings I may choose it over Empire Strikes Back. I’m not trying to be a contrarian. I think you guys are out of your minds.

[Edited to add to the topic at hand]
And as a person who loved The Last Jedi, the reason I never saw Solo had nothing to do with the quality of the Last Jedi or Star Wars fatigue (although Rogue One being a big stinker didn’t help), and more to do with having no interest in seeing another origin story movie. I’m all for more good Star Wars movies but I couldn’t care less about seeing another movie telling me how my favorite characters became cool. I’d rather watch them when they’re already cool. If they make a Boba Fett movie I’ll stay away from that too because I don’t want to waste two hours of my life finding out how he got his jet pack.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 722
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby Stalvern » June 11th, 2018, 1:05 am

The reason for the public's indifference is very simple, very obvious, and completely unrelated to the film's quality or the production history or Internet trolls or anything else that keeps getting blamed. People weren't interested in the movie's basic idea, which was to present Alden Ehrenreich as Harrison Ford. Maybe, maybe, Ansel Elgort might have been able to pull it off with a little luck. But with the guy we got, absolutely nobody who saw the trailers believed that he was the real Han, and nothing else could make a difference after that.

User avatar
C64_Critic
Posts: 94
Joined: April 11th, 2015, 11:51 am

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby C64_Critic » June 11th, 2018, 1:25 am

Atarifever wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:What I'm afraid is that due to poor box office Solo will be regarded as a failure.
I don't think it deserves that. If anything, the mediocre Last Jedi (which gets worse with repeat viewings) probably tarnished people's enthusiasm for the series. Also, why did they rush it out just 5 months after the last movie??


Star Wars fatigue is made up to cover for the movies being garbage. Marvel fatigue is not a thing. DC comic movie fatigue is not even a thing, and those are not generally nearly as good as Marvel movies.


I can only go by my own experience, and absolutely positively both Star Wars fatigue and Marvel fatigue are a thing. Solo may be the best SW movie ever made, but I won't know until I finally get around to watching it whenever it become available for free on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I am almost completely burned out by the constant machine-gun like rapid fire release of so many similar/related movies in such short time spans. I did go to see Deadpool 2 because it's been a couple of years since the first one, and because I think it's in a completely different 'class' of movies than most other "Superhero" movies, but otherwise I can't imagine going to watch yet another Marvel or Star Wars movie before 2020 at this point.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 722
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby Stalvern » June 11th, 2018, 2:55 am

C64_Critic wrote:I can only go by my own experience, and absolutely positively both Star Wars fatigue and Marvel fatigue are a thing. Solo may be the best SW movie ever made, but I won't know until I finally get around to watching it whenever it become available for free on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I am almost completely burned out by the constant machine-gun like rapid fire release of so many similar/related movies in such short time spans. I did go to see Deadpool 2 because it's been a couple of years since the first one, and because I think it's in a completely different 'class' of movies than most other "Superhero" movies, but otherwise I can't imagine going to watch yet another Marvel or Star Wars movie before 2020 at this point.

I'm in the same boat - I haven't seen a superhero movie since The Dark Knight Rises (although I'll probably get a ticket to The Incredibles II) - but Atarifever's point is that we're part of a small minority that's irrelevant to the question. The public at large isn't tired of these movies in the slightest.

User avatar
Atarifever
Posts: 461
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 5:55 am

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby Atarifever » June 11th, 2018, 6:17 am

Stalvern wrote:
C64_Critic wrote:I can only go by my own experience, and absolutely positively both Star Wars fatigue and Marvel fatigue are a thing. Solo may be the best SW movie ever made, but I won't know until I finally get around to watching it whenever it become available for free on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I am almost completely burned out by the constant machine-gun like rapid fire release of so many similar/related movies in such short time spans. I did go to see Deadpool 2 because it's been a couple of years since the first one, and because I think it's in a completely different 'class' of movies than most other "Superhero" movies, but otherwise I can't imagine going to watch yet another Marvel or Star Wars movie before 2020 at this point.

I'm in the same boat - I haven't seen a superhero movie since The Dark Knight Rises (although I'll probably get a ticket to The Incredibles II) - but Atarifever's point is that we're part of a small minority that's irrelevant to the question. The public at large isn't tired of these movies in the slightest.


Exactly Stalvern. Some few people may be tired of superhero movies. However, the vast majority of people are still seeing every Marvel and DC movie. Those are still blockbusters. One would have to explain how Marvel and DC still sell tons of tickets to every movie (and Pixar and Fast and the Furious, etc.) and why Star Wars -- one of the biggest names in all of cinema history -- suddenly hit a fatigue level well beyond those with only 10 movies in 41 years. The Fast and the Furious is on 8 movies in 17 years and hasn't hit that yet. This is not fatigue. This is dislike. The movies are just not any good.

pacman000
Posts: 760
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: Solo (Spoiler Alert)

Postby pacman000 » June 11th, 2018, 7:49 am

I enjoyed Solo, but it did start off too slowly, & it did seem to meander around without a heading. (Where is this going? Why should I care?)


Return to “Other Media”